A Little White in the Whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Periwinkle

Reaction score
It appears a preview of winter has touched the Whites....

I swore I saw snow on the summit of Tecumseh today, but assumed I was imagining things without my glasses on. A trick of the light perhaps?

Further along the road, the Franconia ridge summits appeared lighter in color that ususal.

A friend confirmed my observations. What was rain in the valleys last night apparently left a gift from the Cold Miser just below 4000'.

Hopefully, this will all melt off before I hike on Wednesday!

I was on Sandwich today. A bit of white stuff on the ground over the last 100 yards, not sure how much was snow and how much was rime ice that fell off the trees.

I saw no white on Tecumseh, but quite a bit high up on the various peaks of Osceola. Distant visibility was not good, but I believe I saw white stuff in the slide on Lincoln. The Presidentials were in the clouds.

Enough to remind us that winter is on its way, but nothing really fun yet.

Periwinkle said:
It appears a preview of winter has touched the Whites....

I swore I saw snow on the summit of Tecumseh today, but assumed I was imagining things without my glasses on. A trick of the light perhaps?

Further along the road, the Franconia ridge summits appeared lighter in color that ususal.

A friend confirmed my observations. What was rain in the valleys last night apparently left a gift from the Cold Miser just below 4000'.

Hopefully, this will all melt off before I hike on Wednesday!

Someone told me there was 2" of snow around August 1st up on the rock pile.

Whatever was on Tecumseh appears to be gone today. It looked like there was still a little something high up on the Franconias, but yet again I was driving around town without my glasses on. Will have first hand info tomorrow night!

First hand observations from today, doing Tom, Field, and Willey: dusting of snow around 4000'. Thin icy patches remained in shade. Washington, Clay, Jefferson, Adams & Boott Spur appeared dusted from my viewpoint. Eisenhower, down appeared clear. Lafayette summit cone white. See trip report for endless details on T,F.W conditions and other blatherings.

Friday, near the top of Moosilauke there was some snow that was hanging in there from a previous storm. When I got to to about 4000' a super-fine dusting started to fall. It made a faint tinkling sound as the 'squall line' hit.