A Night at the Roxy, er Rocky Branch - Isolation Backpack 1/10-1/11/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Great Pumpkin

Reaction score
Splendid Isolation, I don't need no one...." (Apologies to the late, great Warren Zevon). I most certainly did need someone to go and get Winter No. 43 last Sunday. Our four man crew consisted of the unstoppable Creaky Knees, our good pal Dave B., and his coworker Brian T. We were very interested in trying to nail Isolation given recent postings by Focus on Balance, Bryan, etc., which indicated to us that a good, solid snowshoe track would be available. Furthermore, it was essential to me that we be able to camp, since I was pretty sure that I wasn't going to be able to pull off the full RT mileage in one day. Our timing was just a bit off, given that the gorgeous day was on Saturday 1/10 (many remarkably beautiful pictures from various trips in the Whites that day have been posted here - enjoyed them all). In any event, we stuck with our plan, and departed Bedford at about 9:30 a.m., taking the always "scenic" (and slow) Lakes Region route to arrive at Rte. 16 in Pinkham a little before 12:00 p.m.

The sun was out, and the wind was blowing only mildly as we geared up, speaking briefly with a gentleman from Canada who said he was heading for Isolation as well, but we never saw him on the hike. In fact, we would not see another soul on this overnighter until our return to the parking lot on Sunday afternoon. We loaded our gear primarily on three (3) sleds, and started the trek on the Rocky Branch Trail at about 12:15 p.m. Had to adjust several times in the first mile as we rose gradually above Pinkham, and suffered a couple of equipment malfunctions (fixable on my sled; alas, not so on Dave's). Creaky Knees, strong as an ox per usual, put more stuff on his sled, and we continued the grind upward. Saw no signs of XC ski tracks on the Avalanche trail which crosses RBT, but the previous snowshoers on RBT had done a terrific job of packing same down. We barebooted for the first 3/4mile or so, w/o difficulty, but elected to go to shoes for added traction somewhere in the vicinity of where the ski trail intersects. Stopped for a brief lunch, and some water/snack breaks, and finally reached the old logging track at the appx. 1.8 mi. mark.

We enjoyed the easier gradient up to the Dry River Wilderness Boundary at 2.8 miles, then kept an eye out for the bushwhack start near the height of land (appx 3.2 miles), which we reached at about 3:00 p.m. There appeared to be some tracks continuing on the RBT toward Shelter #2, but they were not from today, as best we could tell. It was immediately evident where the BW began, and once again, our trail predecessors had laid down a beautiful track to follow, which basically slabbed the 3200' contour route described by Peakbagger at Mohammed Ellozy's website. It was clear that this route was going to take us up the valley on the east side of the RB River, and we had some glimpses of Isolation to the west as we proceeded at appx. 290 deg., just following the beaten path.

By 4:15 p.m. dusk was gathering, and we found a suitable campsite, where we settled in with two (2) tents, and some chilling temps (single numbers) after four hours of hiking effort. Creaky Knees (Fredo) efforted some outstanding hot chow (chicken with cheesey noodles - da' best!) with his Primus stove. Alas, my Isobutane fueled cannister stove burned too low to do much good other than melt some snow for drinking water - just a bit too cold. Amazingly enough, we were able to call in our position via cell phone, and confirmed that it was snowing back home. It started to snow lightly on us, but no sleet or markedly increased wind. Since there wasn't much in the way of nightlife to partake of (the Roxy was closed) ;) we hit the bags at about 6:00 p.m.

Had another of those fitful nights of sleep/nonsleep, as Fredo was valiantly battling a cold, and I just could'nt get comfortable. I wasn't cold, just restless.

We were up at oh-dark thirty (about 5:45 a.m.), and Fredo once again did yeoman's work in getting hot water for oatmeal, coffee, etc. It was still snowing lightly, and we estimated the overnight accumulation at around 6". We packed up daybags as the dawn came, and were following the BW track again by 7:30 a.m. It turns out that we were camped just a few hundred feet away from the Isolation Trail, which we were quite happy to hit, especially so far up the valley. We reached the "final" crossing of the RB at perhaps 8:30 a.m., which was solidly bridged, no problem at all, and continued on towards the campsite area near the intersection of the Davis Path.

Before too long, we had passed through the campsite area, and made use of a nice, short BW which dumped us right onto the Davis Path, heading 180 South. Yippee! We poked along (well, I poked along), and soon came to the Isolation spur path, and the only steep "climbing" of the day, the quick scramble to the summit. We emerged on the flat top of Iso at about 9:45 a.m., with no VFTT today, but handshakes all around on Winter Nos. 45 (Fredo), 43 (moi), 7 (Dave) and 1 (Brian!!-great job!). Time for a few "proof" pictures, then it was get out of Dodge time.

We were on the way back to camp by 10:00 a.m., and in camp at 11:45a.m. Able to call home again to verify our success thus far. We were hauling again by 12:30 p.m. after breaking camp, and leaving no trace (except for my insulated mug, which Dave kindly retrieved for me). Slogged our way back up to the RBT by appx. 1:30 p.m., turned left, and headed for Rte. 16. Dave was very kind to take over hauling my sled at this point; much appreciated.

I had some balance and snowshoe issues on the way out (ice clumps on the bottom of the borrowed Yakimas; can't wait until my MSRs return from repair on the Left Coast). Creaky Knees was at the cars by about 3:20 p.m., and I finally stumbled out appx. 3:45 p.m., tired, but very happy to get this one after we had been turned back last winter. Burgers and brews followed at the RPP in beautiful downtown Glen, along with unmerciful ribbing of Spaderman:D, who was unable to join us, and had to suffer watching the Phleagles beat the Giants at home. Next time, pal.... Great trip with great companions, my thanks to all.