A place to stay in the Big Slide area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sikes

Reaction score
As some you have read, we are hoping to finish our 46/111/115 on Big Slide on the 15th. I'm bringing a friend of mine who is not into the camping thing so I am looking for other options. Are there some inexpensive places to sleep for the night?

Hi Diane, There is a good hiker hostel right across the street from the Noonmark diner that I have stayed at a few times. I forget the name of it and don't have a link to it on line - perhaps someone else here does?

It was nice talking with you Sat. after coming out of the woods on our crazy bushwack. Hope to hike with you again soon. Fred

funkyfreddy said:
Hi Diane, There is a good hiker hostel right across the street from the Noonmark diner that I have stayed at a few times. I forget the name of it and don't have a link to it on line - perhaps someone else here does?
It’s called The Hostel. Email is [email protected] or call 518-576-2030. I think there was a recent thread with other options.

Best wishes for the big finish!

I'd go for the hostel in Keene Valley. I've heard lots of good things about it.

Maybe I'll see you on Big Slide on the 15th. If my leg is feeling better by then I plan on finishing my 46 there too.

-Shayne

The Sikes said:
That would be great Spaddock! :) Is that the only one you have left?

Last one indeed. I've been sitting on 45 for about 5 weeks now as I tweaked my hamstring/IT Band last hike. Hopefully if I keep seeing improvements I'll head out on that Saturday. Otherwise I might put it off until next summer since I want my wife to join me and the ice/snow is a comin!

-Shayne

Keene Valley Hostel

We have stayed at Keene Valley Hostel many times over the years. It is a wonderful place, and only $20/person/night - cash deal though.
Owners, Dave and Cynthia are wonderful people and keep the place clean, fresh and quiet. Please park in the parking areas and not on their lawn.
It is a very cosy, new style 2 story building, with heat and air located on the back of the property, completely separate from the main house.
Downstairs is a complete kitchen, with refrigerator, stove, etc. eating area/game table, clothes washer/dryer, and couch, with 2 adjoining complete bathrooms. Each has a toilet, sink and shower, with plenty of hot water.
Upstairs it sleeps a maximum of 12, in a bunk room with 8 single beds, 1 double bed, plus one bunk bed.
Best of all it is right across the street from Noonmark Diner, and right down the street from the Ausable Inn. The road to the "Garden" Trailhead Parking lot is right there at the Ausable Inn and Big Slide via the Brothers is a great hike. I have done it 3 times now.
You will love the place! Please tell Dave & Cynthia that Joe w/ the Red Caravan w/ Thule Cartop Carrier recommended you!
I will be there again soon.
Joe

I will second about now nice they are. I was their first (shower) customer 5 or so years ago, and when I stopped by there in Aug, and mentioned it to Dave, he insisted that I take my shower for free!

One problem: These $xx.00 per night places, while great for a person travleing alone, don't always work out so well for a family. Families tend to do better with a larger $XX.00/night for a room, that they can squish into.

Then again, while not on the price list, he may offer a deal.

Pete_Hickey said:
he insisted that I take my shower for free!
I can think of another reason why he insisted you take a shower....
:rolleyes:

I've always thought about staying at the Ausble Inn (never have though so I can't say what it's like). The Adirondack Ark Motel is on 9N toward Jay from Keene and is supposed to be good (clean and cheap). I'd like to stay at the Hostel but like Pete says if I have 2-3 of the kids with me it's just as cheap to stay at a cheap motel....

On numerous trips this year to the HP area, I have followed much of the above advice. I can offer that the Hostel in KV is great, and cheap for a single person. I have stayed there 3 times. Once when I met two others we stayed at the Northwoods Inn in LP....it was still early in the season (6/23) so the rates were cheap, I think the room was around $40. And I have stayed at the Ark Trail Inn in Upper Jay, once for hiking solo (I stayed there because it was closer to Whiteface), and twice with my 10-year old daughter who isnt exactly Hostel material. The ark is inexpensive (<40 to 50 a night depending upon season, # of people, and day of the week) and clean/quaint as advertised. the ping pong table is an added bonus.

ADK RICK

Raymond...I don't know about the Sikeses...that sounds like a tongue twister to me. I should have put a different user name but didn't think much about it when I did it because I only used the trail conditions...I didn't even know about the forums...then when I figured that out, I asked to change it but then I would have had to be deleted and then readded and that sounded like way to much work....maybe next time.

Thanks for all the info....