A shot of claustrophobia with a snow cave chaser

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
Been working on this for a few weeks. Hardest part was shoveling all the snow into the big pile and packing it down. That took a few storms' worth of snow. Hard to tell from the pic, but the outside dimensions are about 8' long, 6' wide, and 5' tall. Inside is big enough for two average size people to sleep very uncomfortably. Still need to add the CO2 escape vents. Probably poke those vent holes from the inside toward the outside, on the theory that exit wounds are usually more of a mess than entry wounds.....easier to patch up the outside. This would be much easier with perfect "snowman" snow, but we've had wet snow, dry snow, ice, single digit temps, etc. So conditions aren't optimal. Not enough snow to make a real snow cave with elevated sleeping shelves, cold trench, etc. This is just made with what's available. Not sure if I'll sleep in it...I don't do really well in closed in spaces, plus the neighbors are already giving me strange looks and holding their kids' hands a little tighter.

1174907244_STdsd-L.jpg

Nice job! I am currently working on one myself. It certainly gives you a good appreciation for just how much work a true snow cave takes to build. Relying on the ability to build one quickly in an emergency is certainly a recipe for disaster.
I have built many over the years and it is a learned skill for sure. Great addition to base camps but I would not want to count on having the proper type snow or the energy to build one in a pinch. A good snow cave is quite warm and as far as the claustrophobia is concerned with a candle burning the "whiteness" of the interior negates some of the claustrophobia.

p.s. Sleep in it! you'll kick yourself in the spring if you don't.

Last edited:
Awesome! Great work!

Definitely gotta stay in it though. All that work...

and hey, it's not always bad to have the neighbors just a little wary...

Last edited:
Been working on this for a few weeks. Hardest part was shoveling all the snow into the big pile and packing it down.
Don't be afraid to sleep in it!
When I learned to build the Quinzee years ago, i was taught that the strongest structure comes from NOT packing the snow, but to allow a loose pile to naturally find its own fall angle and structure, so that the snow crystals lock together on their own terms ("sinter"). Depending on the type of snow, at least an hour should do it after you finish the loose pile, but up to 3 hours is better.

You can often hear it suddenly lock itself with a low "thwwwump" kind of a sound. Somewhat disconcerting if you are inside digging it out when you hear that sound, but that sound actually means the structure has just become stronger. I don't think that happens if you try to force pack the pile.

I've built many dozens using this technique, in all types of snow, light and fluffy or dense and heavy. During a Boy Scout winter training weekend, we built several and slept in them when the temperature fell to -30F one night. With just a candle inside mine, the inside temperature didn't drop below +20F. I've maintained a quinzee for a few weeks. But over time snow tends to sag like plastic and just needs a bit of loose fresh snow thrown on top and some inside enlargement. But can't imagine actually taking weeks to build one. Then again, here off the eastern end of Lake Ontario there is rarely a lack of sufficient snow. At a minimum I figure (when solo) 45 minutes to an hour to pile enough snow, another hour to let it sinter naturally before I disturb it, and another 45 to an hour to dig it out.

Last edited:
I've built many dozens using this technique, in all types of snow, light and fluffy or dense and heavy.

I'd like to dig one (PLENTY of snow here now) just to test how long it might take and how uncomfortable I might get digging it. I'd think I'd get soaking wet from crawling around in the snow and sweating. I'd guess it would be much easier with 2 or more people working together; one inside digging and the others managing the snow removal. A 5 gallon bucket would help, but who carries a 5 gallon bucket, just in case ?

I'm guessing the ground pads and bag cover I carry would be enough to keep me dry inside, once it's built.

Several winters ago a group of 8 built a quinzee shelter. It was a lot of fun and we were able to spread the workload out. We started with a tall pole (deadfall we found standing up). With that as our center, we used a pole to stamp out and outside circle. Then we shoveled into the center and allowed the snow to pile up as high as it would go, falling, as it hit the top of the pile and spreading out. When it got as high as it would go, we took a break to allow the pile to sinter. After two hours we came back and began digging out. At first it was one person at a time, taking breaks. Then one outside and one inside. Finally two inside. The last thing that we did was remove the pole, which gave us our vent. What a lot of fun. :rolleyes: Three of us slept there that night, with one retreating to a tent in the middle of the night.

Last edited:
I'd like to dig one (PLENTY of snow here now) just to test how long it might take and how uncomfortable I might get digging it. I'd think I'd get soaking wet from crawling around in the snow and sweating. I'd guess it would be much easier with 2 or more people working together; one inside digging and the others managing the snow removal. A 5 gallon bucket would help, but who carries a 5 gallon bucket, just in case ?

I'm guessing the ground pads and bag cover I carry would be enough to keep me dry inside, once it's built.
Unless you strip down, you will quickly get wet from sweat. You outer clothing will get wet from laying in the snow during the digging out, unless air/snow temperature is cold enough and your excess body heat is well regulated. Best bet is to wear light layers inside of a rain suit and don't overexert.

It does work much better with two as you suggest. Leave a low platform of snow inside for your sleeping area, so it is a few inches higher than the floor and entrance - the coolest air will flow out that way. Don't touch the walls. I have placed just the foot area of my sleeping bag in a large garbage bag to keep the end dry. One or two candles will raise the inside temperature considerably, but be sure not to use 3, just to keep the temp below the freezing point and prevent ceiling drippage of moisture. The total silence inside a quinzee is deafening. You will sleep soundly like never before.

Put on your rain gear top and bottom with the hood up and tied tight over a minimum of clothing under. You will sweat and have to change to dry stuff when your are done or layer up and have your body heat dry out the sweaty stuff.

Have two people dig out the cave from opposite sides so the job gets done faster with less individual effeort and sweat. If you pace yourself the sweat isn't that bad. It just takes longer to dig it out. When you are done snow block one opening closed. You can dig with a freesbe or small trench tool. Pull a tarp or sled inside and pile up the snow on them. Lay back and take a break while it gets pulled out. I sleep on two ground pads on top of a tarp.