A Summit for the Dogs - Abster's 48th 10/9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abster

Reaction score
It has been a little more than 1.5 years since Artex and Pennsy told me that I had just gotten my first peak on 'the list' - North Kinsman. I wasn't really interested in doing a list of peaks, but more just getting out to experience the Whites. I found that in doing the list I have hiked many wonderful miles, gotten familiar with the Whites and met a lot of great people :D

I saved Tecumseh for my final peak so that my beautiful Lab, Abby, could join me. She can do 5 miles pretty comfortably with her bad hips. Chances are I will also bring the rest of the pack - my parents 3 Goldens - two of which are regular hiking partners.

I plan to be at the Waterville Valley parking lot at 9am on Columbus Day, Monday, October 9th. I thought it would be easier to have so many dogs when there weren't so many people.

Anyone is welcome to join me for this short jaunt for the joy of dogs and fresh air! :)

Hanna

Hey Abster,

I wish me and the pups could join you for your final peak but I've got to work on Columbus Day :( . Hope you get a great day for #48.

-MEB

Best wishes. Hope you have a great day! :D

Cangrats Abster

Good choice for a Mountain to finish. I am not a dog but if I were I would love that one. Are you going to go down the ski trails? There is a lot of open field (with a grade) that would be fun to romp down.

Thanks MEB and Maddy!

Puck - the way we get up and down the mountain is open to suggestions. I just want to have fun!

Damn, that seems like yesterday with the Kinsmans. Nice job at knocking them off. Even better job at putting up with me and Pennsy's antics. :D

Jaime's Technique for Motivating Fellow Hikers

Should I even go there? A very influential way to get fellow hikers moving after a snack or water break.......

Congratulations. I just recently relocated to NH and you will drive right by my house on the way to Tecumseh. Just honk after passing the William Tell.

Abster ~ Maybe an easier way for Abby's hips would be to go up the ski area work road. It's a mostly gradual grade, an actual road for pickup trucks and other motorized mountain equipment. At the top of the ski area, the Sosman trail takes you to the summit of Tecumseh .8 miles & 250' gain.
(If you would like furthur info on locating the start of the Sosman trail, as there is no sign at the top of the ski area, feel free to PM me)

There are 3 brook crossings on the Mount Tecumseh trail, which really aren't that difficult, but for an older dog with hip issues, any wet / rocky crossing posses problems.

The trails adjacent to the work road have been very recently mowed, which provides another footing option on this gentlish grade.

Yippee for Abby!

Bear Hunters Abound

Congrats on #48. Just want to insert a word of caution, especially since you will have the dogs along.
I live in WV and was talking to some bear hunters at the local sandwich shop the other day. They are up around the ski area. One spot they mentioned that they had bait out was a beaver pond near the ski area. They also expressed some embarrasment about observing a female hiker on a "personal break". She never knew they were there (camo clothing).
I'm sure they don't travel very far up the mountain based on the shape they appeared to be in..hehe
Just be aware.
Good Luck
Harry

Congrats in advance on a well-done achievement! Unfortunately, I too have to work on Columbus Day. :(

If you do go up the Mt Tecumseh trail from the ski area, there are two small trail turnoffs to the left, one marked with a "view" sign, one not. The lower, signed one takes you out to a ski trail which is a nice view. The higher one, however, takes you to the bottom of the summit life which is not only a better view but also a really neat spot. Both locations are fun for dogs to romp around in the grass!

I hope you have a great day and enjoy your success!!!
:)

Harry
Do you think the Bear Hunters were actually talking about the Beaver Pond areas between West Branch Rd and the East end of the Tripoli Rd, instead of the snow-making pond at the base of the ski area?

Hunters vehicles are seen parked adjacent to the ski trails (bike / x-country trails) a lot during hunting season. They are known to have tree stands, and baiting areas down on/along those trails. The snow making pond is between the admin & First Aid buildings at the base of the ski area, and I would think the on going regular traffic of the mountain personal wouldn't be conducive to hunting.

I'm up at the mountain generally a couple times a week, and I haven't noticed vehicles, other than the regulars, parked about. But when I travel the East end of the Tripoli road, those vehicles, that show up this time of year, are pulled off here & there, adjacent to the ski / bike trails.

It's true, Hunters will go where they want to go, but as you said, a lot of them don't seem to wander too far from their vehicles.

Maybe SkiBones will add something to this post.

Cath,
You may be right about that. I didn't ask specifics. Yet, I doubt they would have seen a hiker on a break (although it is possible) at that Tripoli Road location. So my guess is that it was up near the ski area. Are you sure there isn't another pond somewhere up there? They did say specifically, a Beaver Pond.