A Thank You to the VFTT Community

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice post Carole, you said it well. The people here (well, the majority of them anyway :rolleyes: ) are the reason I keep running the site. Plus I am as much of a user as everyone else....where would I go for info if I didn't have VFTT?

There are times at Gatherings or on hikes with people I've met through the site when I am just simply blown away. I just sit back and look around and say "wow, what a website". The exchange of knowledge and the fun of people getting together is just amazing. In the last 10+ years, I wonder how many miles and how many summits have been hiked and climbed by people who have gotten together though the site. It really is quite a community.

- darren

Gee Carole, you wouldn't be trying to get a green square now would you? :D Just joking! :)

Seriously, I've only been on this board for about 6 months and I have received loads of help and tips when I've posted questions. Last month I posted that I might be going on a business trip to Portland, ME. (just got final approval today :) ) so I asked about trails in the area that I could go on for a day hike at the end of the conference or maybe just a few hours during the conference downtime. I think I got about 12 responses in 2 days! Where else on the web can you get that kind of help? I know of some technical support sites that don't respond nearly that fast. And all the responses I received were usually different from each other which meant more trails for me. :cool:

Another feature I love about this board is that it is tightly controlled. I like the no flaming aspect as well as the stay on topic rule. I've been on some boards where you get flamed just for asking a question. :mad:

This board has many different folks from a variety of backgrounds thus making it that much more interesting. Again, this is THE place to get helpful advice on hiking. I just try to contribute as much as I receive.

:)

I am always in awe at the wealth of knowledge among this board's members. This truely is the greatest source of Northeast hiking information on the web! I haven't hiked with many of you but in reading your TR's I still feel like I know you all!
Long live VFTT! :D

^MtnMike^

Nice thread.

Kind of chatty though, isn't it?

Note, I don't mind chatty threads. In fact, I rather like them. But I have a hard time understanding what is an acceptable chatty thread and what is not. And this isn't really a complaint. Just an expression of my own confusion.

Carole, to follow up directly to your original post, I think the thanks to usefulness of this forum goes directly to the fact that its moderated. Darren understood early on that moderation helps the signal/noise ratio. That's very much to be commended.

Carole - very well stated. VFTT is a great example of what a website/bulletin board can be. Sadly, most of them are of little to no use. VFTT gave me the info I needed as well as some great people to hike with and learn from!

dave.m said:
Note, I don't mind chatty threads. In fact, I rather like them. But I have a hard time understanding what is an acceptable chatty thread and what is not. And this isn't really a complaint. Just an expression of my own confusion.
My guess is ones Darren and Peagbagr think are ok. Both of them have a knack for quietly (read: without drama) deleting or locking non-conforming threads/posts. I bet that if this thread dragged on forever and ever they'd say "thanks for all your thanks" and lock it.

A difference b/ this and other boards I read that are moderated is that Darren and Peakbagr keep the moderating drama to a minimum which seems to keep the place quiet.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
Well said, Carole. I must second your thoughts on the valuable information that this site provides. I have only had the privilege to hike with a few of the contributors to this site, but each one has been a valuable resource in their own way.