A touch of Winter on Carrigain, 11/27/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PETCH

Reaction score
Date of Hike: 11/27/10
Peaks/Trails: Carrigain via Signal Ridge Trail
Cast of Characters: Todd, Steve, Pat, Ryan, Petch
Trail Conditions: 2-4 inches of snow on the ground by 2:30pm. Some ice under the snow at elevation. Bare bootable, but most of us wore microspikes for upper sections. Stream crossings were rock hoppable
Stats: 10 miles, 3250ft of ele, 5 hrs 50 min.

Tails from the trail:
- 1 vehicle down at the Winter parking lot, and only 1 vehicle in the Signal Ridge parking area. The road was open.
- 1-2" of snow on the ground to start
- Snow flurries just about all day, heavier on the descent
- Some views of Carrigain Notch, Mt Lowell, Vose Spur on the ascent, minimal views on top, nothing on the way down
- 3/5 of us wore microspikes for the upper sections (some blue ice under snow) but can be bare booted with care
- Chocolate covered donuts and PBR's for a post hike treat!
- Yes, I know, Sunday was going to be the better view day, but you hike when you can hike and just roll with the weather sista......
- Interesting seeing road cyclists on the Westside road biking in semi-blizzard conditions, also saw a vehicle off the road in Fryeburg
- Congrats to Todd on #33!

Minimal pics due to weather:

Signal Ridge with Carrigain Tower up ahead
SAM_0732.JPG

SAM_0730.JPG

Vose Spur and Mt Lowell
SAM_0736.JPG

A bird in the hand......
SAM_0738.JPG
SAM_0739.JPG

Pat, "Look Ma, no hands!"
SAM_0742.JPG

Ice Formations
SAM_0748.JPG

Slideshow ^

Stay Thirsty my Friends

Petch

Hiking Pictures:http://picasaweb.google.com/mpetcher
Ascent List:http://peakbagger.com/climber/climblistc.aspx?cid=1767[/quote][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Really...really like those first two photos. Monochromatic landscape with the spots of color from the hikers.