A Week in the Southwest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miehoff

Reaction score
So...I am not sure if it is cool to post on VFTT inquiring about other parts of the US other than the Northeast, but I am looking to spend about 9 days (including travel) in the Southwest either backpacking or car camping and day hiking and I have NO idea where to look or who to ask when it comes to places and hiking areas. The NPS has nice info, but I want to get pretty specific. I want to go either the first or second week in June.

Any ideas?

ahhh, yes

I was going to fly into Vegas, rent a car, and...
I have no idea. I don't want to drive forever, I want lots of hiking, good temps (cool at night, warm days). I would like to find a campground or a place to set up a tent that is secluded and quiet and beautiful.

I am totally open, really. I have never been out there (my adult life, anyway).

Does that help?

The Narrows and Angel's Landing in Zion, followed by a trip to Bryce Canyon. Either hike the inner canyon or atleast hike the rim trail (only in the very early morning before the crowds). Then drive down to Escalante. Down in this area I cannot more highly recommend anything above the Paria River Canyon. IT is AMAZING.

sli74

Some nice places in the area: Bryce, Zion, N Rim of the Grand Canyon, Kodachrome Basin State Res., Grand Staircase, Escalante, Capitol Reef, Cedar Breaks, Goblin Valley State Res.

You can also access the S Rim of the Grand Canyon from LV, but it is a long way around to the N Rim and the other places listed above.

One can easily spend a week or more at some of the above.

Doug

There is a recent thread that talks about hikes in the SW. Try searching this site for "Valley of Fire" and it should come right up. We're leaving for Vegas in 9 days to do the Death Valley/Zion/Bryce/Red Rock hiking circuit.

It's gonna be hot there in June.

Zion, Bryce, Moab (Canyonlands, Arches, and do not miss Dead Horse Point). Spend at least one night camped at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Not a secluded campsite, but nice sites and spectacular views at sunrise, sunset, and everything in between. A drive through Monument Valley is also highly recommended, and if you get that far east you might as well go to Mesa Verde.
Oh yeah, Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon... You know what, 9 days just isn't enough! :D

longer driving but...

Mesa Verde National Park-lots of hiking

Chaco Culture National Historical Site

both have camping
both have ruins to explore

A website that might be useful for you to get to know the basics about some of the parks, driving distances, etc, is:

American Southwest

A very popular week long trip is to fly into Vegas and to visit the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, and Zion. I love Zion. The most popular hikes there are the Narrows (we did it as a backpack) and Angel's Landing, both of which I would highly recommend. I would also highly recommend a canyon like the Subway or Keyhole if you are a rock climber or if it is within your budget to go with a guide.

I also really like Escalante. It's one of the places we visited that we truly found solitude. Coyote Gulch (backpack or dayhike) is one of the most beautiful places I've been and I highly recommend it. The dayhike of Peekaboo, Spooky, and Brimstone gulches is a lot of fun (three dry slots that are fun to explore).

I also really enjoyed Buckskin Gulch in the Paria-Vermillion Cliffs area.

Moab also makes a nice base to visit Arches and Canyonlands. If you like to mountain bike, this is a great destination for that.

FYI, we have our pictures and trip notes online if you'd like to see:

Southwest Adventure '06 (includes Escalante, Kodachrome, Bryce, Zion, Paria-Vermillion Cliffs, Grand Canyon, Havasu Canyon)

Moab '03 (includes Arches, Canyonlands)

I spent three weeks in the Southwest last year and loved every minute of it. My favorite experiences were backpacking in Canyonlands, backpacking to Havasu Falls, and the Moab/Arches area in general.

here's my trip report if you want some additional ideas (many of which have already been recommended)

roadtripper, nice trip report. You guys sure covered a lot of territory!

I just have to say, what a surprise to see Carhenge on there. That isn't too far from where I grew up (at least by Western Nebraska standards) and I don't know how many times we drove by Carhenge and rolled our eyes. I finally stopped there once with friends to take pictures and almost felt embarrassed for stopping. :) Too funny!

I agree with the previous posts.

I took two trips to the southwest in each of the last two years.
In September 2005, I visited Gallup, NM, Canyon de Chelly(AZ), Zion National Park (hiked Angels Landing and the Narrows), Bryce, drove through Escalante and Capital reef, Canyonlands, Moab, and Arches.
Trip Report:
http://home.comcast.net/~matthew.smith2/southwest/southwest.html

November 2006
I went to Sedona, then the Grand Canyon, hiked Humphrey's peak (highest point in AZ), visited Sante Fe and Taos, then down to Carlsbag Caverns(NM), Guadelaupe Peak (highest point in Texas), then Kartchner Caverns (AZ), and Segauro National Park.
Trip Report
http://hikermatt.com/Documents/southwest2006.html

I would probably suggest something similar to my first trip if you are flying to LV.

miehoff said:
I was going to fly into Vegas, rent a car, and...
I have no idea. I don't want to drive forever, I want lots of hiking, good temps (cool at night, warm days). I would like to find a campground or a place to set up a tent that is secluded and quiet and beautiful.

I am totally open, really. I have never been out there (my adult life, anyway).

Does that help?

Yes, well just some weeks ago, I had the same question about hiking near Las Vegas so you should checkout my thread here as I got lots of very valuable information which could apply to you as well: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16533&referrerid=2552

Good luck and happy trails! :)

Dick and I plus Fvrwld from ADKForum will also travel west soon. We have a permit to hike into Buckskin Gulch/Paria Canyon area - we are planning a 3-night/4 day backpack. The balance of the trip has yet to be decided but with so many possibilities I'm sure we'll find other hikes/areas to explore. We're VERY EXCITED!

Edelweiss, you'll have a fantastic time! Are you going in through Wire Pass? That's the trip we did (in Wire Pass and camped at the confluence, out Paria Canyon the next day). Since you'll be in that vicinity, I would recommend a stop at the old Paria town site (just a short side trip from the road).

pudgy_groundhog said:
Edelweiss, you'll have a fantastic time! Are you going in through Wire Pass?

Yes, we will start at Wire Pass Trailhead. We plan a more leisurely hike than you did. We want to average about 6-7 miles per day so we will stay in Buckskin Canyon the first night, and probably camp at the confluance on nights 2 and 3 with a day hike into Paria Canyon on day 3. We will hike out to White House Trailhead on day 4. Is the Paria town site near Lee's Ferry or White House?

The old Paria townsite is in the general vicinity of the White House trailhead on a dirt road off of 89. There's a description here (Paria River Valley Road). We just happened to see the signs on our way to the White House trailhead and made the short detour. Since you'll be in the area and if you have the time, it makes a nice stop. Some of our pictures from the area are here.

Are you actually camping in Buckskin Gulch or climbing out at one of the few access points to camp at the rim of the gulch? It's such a beautiful canyon -- you'll love it!

Geez!

Was hoping to get some answers, but you guys just gave me more ideas! I was hoping someone would just say, "go here" and everyone else would agree and I would go and life would be great.

A friend of mine has a wonderful map of the Southwest, showing all of the parks, etc. I might get a hold of that and plan. I think I might plan on dayhiking and car camping this time.

All of this was great, thanks. Now I have to think about how I am going to pack all of my backpacking/hiking stuff without it getting taken at the airport.

pudgy_groundhog Are you actually camping in Buckskin Gulch or climbing out at one of the few access points to camp at the rim of the gulch? It's such a beautiful canyon -- you'll love it![/QUOTE said:
p-g:

Not sure whether we'll climb up higher or stay in the Gulch. The description of the old town is intriguing - we'll try to make time to visit.
Great pictures! Thanks for posting. The caption under one tells about the mice that helped themselves to your food at one of your canyon campsites. We're planning to bring a large "rat sack" which hopefully will deter the little critters.
http://armoredoutdoorgear.com/ratsack.htm

miehoff:

We're having the same problem. There's just too much to see and too little time.
We plan to check large duffles with our camping equipment and carry on small roller-type luggage with the rest of our stuff. Hope you have a great time!

We plan to check large duffles with our camping equipment and carry on small roller-type luggage with the rest of our stuff. Hope you have a great time!

after our most recent experience flying (in March to Denver), we suggest that perhaps you ship your camping equipment ahead, maybe to wherever you're going to stay your first night out there. the airline "misplaced" our luggage (all of it) for over 24 hours, and if we'd been planning on doing any snowshoeing or hiking that next day, we'd have been 'up the creek'.

just a thought ... :)