Abol Trail will be closed for the year

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelJ

Reaction score
From Baxter State Park:

ABOL TRAIL CLOSED FOR 2014
Late last winter substantial debris movement occurred on most of the portion of the Abol Trail ascending the Abol Slide.
The resulting debris field presents an area of exceptional hazard with a high risk of additional downslope movement of rocks, large boulders and debris.
As wilderness stewards, our philosophy is to protect the Park’s resources and to provide accurate and complete advice and recommendations for safe and responsible travel in a wilderness environment.
Abol Slide presents significant hazard not only to the individual hiker, but to other hikers in the vicinity, especially to any hikers downslope.
Existing hazards on the slide will significantly limit or prevent any search and rescue response in the area.
In response to the clear and present danger, the Abol Trail is closed for 2014 hiking season.
Hiking on the Abol Trail is prohibited. Hikers on the trail will be subject to summons and billed for cost reimbursement of any search and rescue expense incurred on their behalf.
Day Use Parking Reservation (DUPR) capacity at Katahdin Stream and Roaring Brook Campgrounds has been increased to accommodate the closure of the Abol Trail.
We will be developing a plan for future options regarding this important and popular Katahdin-access route.

That's a shame. Abol is often along with Hunt is usually one of two trails that stays open latest. It will be even harder to get to Katahdin this season with one less trail although I suppose it may be fewer people since it was a well used route.

Michael, do you have a link to that press release? The only thing I can find on the Park's website is the yellow banner announcing the closure. TIA.

Edit to add: It looks like the most in-depth information is on their Facebook page.

There are more details in this Bangor Daily news article http://bangordailynews.com/2014/06/05/outdoors/katahdins-abol-trail-closed-for-2014-season/

It is a bummer but at least some folks will be deprived of the incredibly dusty, potentially dangerous road walk between Abol and KSC. I guess novice hikers look at their maps and for some reason figure out the walk cant be that bad when they decide to take a different way down and then they get down to the trailhead a few hours after they planned and that last walks really knocks them out. I take pity when I can and offer rides.

If someone is really missing a great slide hike at Baxter, I can highly recommend the abandoned Marston Slide Trail up South Brother.

Last edited:
The Coe Slide is still there too. I almost was crucified by my hiking companions for starting a small rock slide there! They put me in the front after that! :eek:

The Coe slide while nice is bit less interesting than the Marston Slide. Take a look on Google Earth and I think you will see why. Its definitely longer. Starting a rock slide would be a definite problem on Marston which is reportedly why it was abandoned.

Of course you dont have to bushwhack on the Coe route

I was looking at going up Hunt and down Abol this year. I guess it'll be up and down Hunt. :)

I've done up Abol down Hunt a couple times. It's not too bad in October or November if the trails are open. I was just up Abol March 8th but things look a lot different covered in snow.

the Baxter State Park facebook page made mention of this too which is posted by BSP where they reference you to BSP Authority website which has the details. Either page has the specifics.

Last edited: