above tree line when frances hits

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcat

Reaction score
i was wondering if anybody thinks its extremely unwise to attempt climbing jefferson on thursday.....as i understand this is when what is left of hurricane frances will be passing over.....now i have had this trip planned for some time and really quite set on doing it ........ive never really hiked during rain let alone above tree line .......any thoughts on this would be appreciated

Since Frances was a tropical weather pattern, it will have a lot of moisture in the air. This will assuredly mean clouds and fog atop the Presidential range, limiting visibility dramatically (and dangerously). Combined with the potential for high winds, there's a lot of risk there.

However ... what might be interesting is to take a trail that spends a long time below treeline, like Lowe's Path. That way you're sheltered, experience hiking in the rain (tropical downpours), have shelter (the RMC facilities) to pop into, and will approach the wind and exposure gradually. You still don't want to go far above treeline, if at all, but this will give you the flavor for just what it's like (and give you the option to go on if the forecast just happens to be wrong).

Most important thing to remember, though - any little brook you cross on the way up may be a raging torrent by the time you come down.

The major wind fields are basically gone from Frances, with the exception of some gusts in convection associated with downpours. The mid-level (i.e. 5000 ft) temps should be quite warm until Friday. Having said that however, it may be VERY rainy, and any thunderstorm that does develop triggered by sun, the approaching front, or terrain could be nasty.
So... Jefferson? well, not my choice, but some do enjoy hiking in weather like that.
Bring dry clothes to change into at the trailhead after your hike. Have fun!
Chris

" ... never really hiked during rain let alone above tree line ... "

I'd third the sentiment expressed by Kevin Rooney and Artex. Be well advised to pick another hike or another day.

Nope, not me, I wouldn't hike Jefferson with the tail end of a hurricane whipping through. I'm going sea kayaking instead ... but we did change the day from Thursday to Friday.

If you are adamant about hiking Jefferson I recommend doing the Caps Ridge Trail. It is ver easy and exposure will come very quickly into the trail to get you used to being above treeline. Make sure to wear the proper gear and always make sure to bring a superior waterproof shell if you are going to attempt something like this. I would advise possibly hiking Washington by the Tuckerman Ravine Trail, if you get into trouble during the hike up you could stay at the hut at the base of the ravine until the weather got better.

On a postivie note you could get some very interesting pictures depending on how the weather develops.

i think i may have not explained myself properly......when i wrote i never hiked in rain let alone above treeline , i meant i had never been above treeline in nasty weather........and by rain i meant very nasty sideways rain....... i have been caught above treeline in heavy fog and misty rain many times...........anyways we heeded the advice......and continued to check the weather reports on the way up to the mountains.......we adjusted fire and decided on chocura champney falls were quite nice and we did get a little time above treeline ......... not my ideal hike since i wont be able to hike for over a year .....but a good day none the less

If you know the weather sucks...

for a particular day's hike...why do it? Especially if it is above treeline? Do you have a death wish?. The mountain will always be there. I was in 2002 and know of someone who died hiking on that ridge in bad weather. He had a cell phone and alot of expirence.