Abraham 7-31-12./Redington 8-1-12.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Oak

Reaction score
Abraham;Fire wardens trail was good to go.Parked close to rapid stream bridge washout,road in great shape.[for now]This added only roughly .6 to 4 mile trail length.Did out and back.Trail was slightly muddy below then very dry with smooth footings till talus/boulder field which slowed down the pace a little.Trail is a steal right now due to Rapid stream becoming wimpy stream due to lack of precip in area.Fire wardens trail seems like it is usually much wetter with lots of mossy rocks before alpine zone..No signs of bridge repair anytime soon over Rapid stream.Saw only one cool Canadian hiker who was going to connect with the a.t. and spend a couple of days out.

Redington;Followed the Ellozy route for the 2cd time in a year up from the Caribou valley/Caribou pond logging roads.This hike is super easy right now.Took less than 5 hours from the 4 mile mark on the c.v.r.Used the old map from the a.m.c. Awesome to see my branch markings still in place from last October.Put orange flagged rock on first main turn right from Caribou pond road.Lots of silliness going on with canister entries!I added some of course.Not much activity this year,very surprised not more people hiking up this some what remote mountain. Vfft well represented with Meb,Wu[maybe] and Damselfly who just did it on July 29th.Looks like Wu and Meb were there on march 17th.Caribou valley road has been retooled up till 4 mile parking area.Saw a hawk and hung out with a spruce grouse who let me get very close.Saw no one the whole hike.
Comments;Nice to get the monkey off my back[huge ape] and finally get my all season 67.Celebrated by swimming in Rapid stream[not that rapid right now].This area of Maine is very dry right now,several locals were talking about it. some pics http://nneht.blogspot.com/

Last edited: