Access to Monadnock, VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherby

Reaction score
Someone told me the landowner put a sign to keep people off his lawn, but it wasn't clear is access is still allowed or not, does someone know more about it? Been there only once years ago.

When I went to hike Monadnock this past August, a large front-end loader was working right where the trail seems to start on satellite photos. Since I had limited time and didn't want to disrupt his work, I did Table Rock instead.

When I went to hike Monadnock this past August, a large front-end loader was working right where the trail seems to start on satellite photos. Since I had limited time and didn't want to disrupt his work, I did Table Rock instead.
Yeah, it seems the construction is still going on and that's why it was confusing for the hiker that reported this to me.

The Northern Forest Stewardship Center is probably the best source for all things hiking NEK, NorthWoods Home

They still have the map available on the website with the route in discussion still shown, but in their recently published Northeast Kingdom Mountain Trail Guide (2022), they removed the map and the trail description, and state in the text that this trail is officially closed. They still include a detailed description of the mountain and it's history, with an elusion to some of the other older or unused routes. The bulk of the mountain lands ownership was returned to the Town of Lemington recently, with the state retaining public use and access rights. Unfortunately, none of this land reaches a public road, so private landowner rules apply to pass over to reach this public parcel.

The trail guide text says the town is working to find an easement through a private parcel.