Adirondack Explorer posts on Irene

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer Editor

Reaction score
I have been posting a lot about Irene, so in the interest of keeping the forum uncluttered, I will post future updates here, unless the post pertains to an existing thread. I probably should have done this two weeks ago, when the volume of posts was heavier than it is now.

News for this morning: DEC has cleared about 130 miles of trails so far. I posted a map on my Adirondack Explorer blog showing trails that have been cleared, those that are open but uncleared, and those that remain close.

Click here to view the map.

Marcy Brook crossing update

Glad these posts are useful.

I want to let everyone know that my article on Marcy Dam has been updated to indicate that ADK is talking about rebuilding the bridge over Marcy Brook on the Mr. Van Ski Trail. This would provide a link from the Loj to the Marcy Dam Truck Trail and thus Marcy Dam. It would add 1.2 miles to the trip to the dam, but skiers especially might like this alternative.

Here is the link again.

Keep the updates coming, very useful source of information - thanks...

I remember skiing the Mr Van ski trail many years, thought it was a good connector trail from the truck trail to the Loj. Was disappointed when it was abandoned.

Climb of new Avy Pass slide

I climbed the new slide in Avy Pass on Saturday. It's challenging. Rock shoes recommended.

Read the full report here.

I just added an aerial photo that shows the old and new slides on Little Colden. Gives you a good idea of the length of the bushwhack.

Last edited: