Adirondack summer gathering--BBQ

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shadowcat. We have a pot luck dinner on saturdays during the gatherings. So, if you want to bring a small dish of your choice. There's usually so much food and drink, we gorge ourselves and try to hike on sundays. Last year we had a local beer swap, that turned out pretty cool, bring a six pack of local brew from your area. Other than that just bring yourselves, a tent and swim wear.

The toilet facilities that was a little concern is now solved. Ed was nice enough to arrainge for an extra JOHN to be delivered to my place. Thanks a million ED.

Gathering Address

I've had a couple people ask me for directions to my place for the BBQ, so here it is.

Going south on I87 get off exit 32 and go left. Going North on I87 get off exit 32 and go right.

This road is County Route 12. Follow this road for 1 minute and it will make a sharp left hand turn.

I am the first house on the left after this turn. The house is a tan and green ranch, with a small stone wall in front. I will have some kind of flag on the mailbox.

Parking may become a little tight, so I will most likely have additional parking in a side lot, owned by a neighbor. I will also have that marked or someone will point the way.

Just a small recap for new visitors; The gathering is August 20-22. Some will be showing up thursday night -19th, which is cool too.

Friday is a hiking day for most if not all, and dinner at a local pub and restaurant--possibly Baxter Mountain Tavern. Saturday is also a hiking day, tons of different trips going out. Then a pot luck dinner/BBQ that night. So bring a small dish to share. There's usually a ton of food. Sunday is more hiking and for some, and long trips home for some as well. Maybe breakfast at the Noonmark Diner, up for discussion.

Everyday there will be a bonfire and beer, tons of converstion and beer, lots of stories, oh and did I mention beer. Yes, beer. Last year we had a local beer swap and it seemed to work out pretty good. If you wish, bring a six pack of a local brew from your area and swap a bottle with someone. The good news is you won't have far to stumble back to your tent.

I think I covered the basics. If you want other to join you on a trip that weekend, just advertise it here, or pass the word when you get here. If anyone has any questions just ask.

Crazymamma and I are planning a day hike (yes day hike) to Haystack on Friday (it is Friday Lyle) if anyone wants to join us. After that I am not sure if I will be able to move to hike on Sat!

Peak-bgr
It was good to climb Couch with you in February. I'm going to try and make this gathering.
Is anybody interested in the full DIX Range on Saturday?

Sounds Awesome!

I can't think of anything else better than hiking all weekend with good company. I'll try to get Friday off so I can get up there Thursday evening but otherwise I'll be there Friday evening. I'll let you know.

I've mostly posted on the "other" forum but am switching over. I'm Emily there too.

I met some of you at the ADK Winter 46er dinner this past March. I'm hoping to have finished the 46 by your gathering but I still have 18 to go. Picking off one or two tomorrow and the rest of the summer weekends. Will probably do some winter hiking and backpacking this winter too.

Please count me in and thanks so much for hosting!

Sorry to miss out!

On Saturday I'll be flying out to the Rockies for 2 weeks of scrambling (including my avatar). Otherwise, I'd be coming for sure. There's always next year.

Last edited:
I'm very interested. A few of us also have a bushwhack planned for Jay and Saddleback. Both 100 highest, First go up the ridge to Saddleback and then bushwhack to Jay and follow the trail down. Who's interested in that one.

I'm sorry I need to retract my previous posting saying I will attend the BBQ my wife has just scheduled a family weekend. And we all know family comes befotre hiking???????

I wasn't sure I could get to this gathering, but now I know - I'll be there. Hope to arrive sometime Friday. Can't wait to do more hiking in the ADKs - and to see all of you nice folks again.

See you in August Chris.

Does anyone have any last questions before it gets to close. Dates? Saturdays feast? Hiking? Directions?

peak_bgr said:
See you in August Chris.

Does anyone have any last questions before it gets to close. Dates? Saturdays feast? Hiking? Directions?
A recap would be nice as I printed out then lost the original info.

Thanks,
Frosty

For those of us planning hikes over the weekend, do you want us to post here to see if anyone is interested or would separate posts be better?

Post your hikes here if you want carol, it should work out fine.

As for a small recap--

Thursday// some people will be showing up in the evening, and setting up camp. Bonfire.

Friday//most of the rest will be showing up to set up camp and hikes will be going out that day. Dinner and drinks at Baxter Mountain Tavern that night. Bonfire.

Saturday//more hikes in all directions. Swimming (bring a swim suit), chatting, story telling, bonfire and a huge pot luck dinner. So, bring a small dish of your favorite food and a cooler. I have a little fridge space for food, but not much. There is also a beer swap, so bring a six pack or more of a local brew from your area and share with others.

Sunday//Maybe a few small hikes, breakfast maybe at the Noonmark diner, saying goodbyes

Monday//getting our tired asses back to work.

I will have one porta potty for the overflow of toilet usage, but my two are also open for use. I also have plenty of trees off to the side for the gents if they prefer.

Everyone is welcome to camp in my backyard, I have plenty of room. Parking will most likely be in the two side lots, when my driveway is full. Please don't park on the street, the corner I live on is very dangerous and a 55 zone.

Directions to my house are. Going North on I87 (northway) get off exit 32 and go right. Going south get off and go left. Continue one mile down that road County Route 12, You will pass Moss road on the left, the shortly Hulbert Road on the right. I am the next house on the left after a sharp left hand turn. It is a tan ansd green ranch house. My jeep will be in the yard, it's the one full of stickers.

My driveway will be marked as well as the two driveways for parking.

I think I covered everything, If not please ask.

Currently there are two proposed hikes that I am part of.

Friday:
Day hike from the Garden to Haystack.

Saturday:
Roaring Brook parking->Giant->Rocky Peak follow the ridge hike out to 9N. We will spot cars for this.

I'd be interested in doing the ->Giant->Rocky Peak trail, starting from the 9N side.

I'm not sure if I replied yet, but I will be attending this event...woohoo.
I found out I probably cannot attend G7.