Adirondack summer gathering--BBQ

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting pumped up now.........

Okay,

I'll be coming in to Spence's around 5 PM on thursday. I assume a campfire and beers will be on order for Thursday night too?? (right :)).

On Friday, several of us (6-8 people that have contacted me anyway) plan on bushwhacking up Avalanche Mountain (Spence and Bushwhacker are leading the way, right :)). I assume we plan on leaving the LOJ around 8 AM.

I Look forward to the semi-gathering on Friday night for more beers and meeting lots of folks. I'll be leaving on Saturday afternoon but my wife and two kids will be around. Spence, will your son be around> Nick keeps asking me.

We'll see you in a few days.

Last edited:
I'll be arriving way too late Thursday with beer and bagels since the kayak that was in my kitchen last week trashed all hopes for the potluck. Is there any idea of how many folk we're talking about and how many like bagels? 2 dozen? 3? 4?

And that brings me to the kayak. If I can get my but moving friday morning I'd like to join the Avalanche walk if there's room. (BTW, whatever happened to the Basin amphitheater bushwack that sounded so good?). Anyway, new kayak and I'd like to use it while I'm up there, may even stay an extra day or so for an overnight in it.

If anyones interested, I'm pretty new at it so there should be some entertainment factor. 'Pm me.

confirmation

Finally got the family to commit to NOT joining me …or all of you at the BBQ. (Yes, Audrey, Mary Jo is a figment of my mind). There’s too much going on these days but I’m breaking away to breath the fresh ADK air and party VFTT style!!

I’m set for the pot-luck and will grab some local brew. What I can’t get a grip on is what hike to do Saturday. I’ve done the open ended Rocky Ridge/Giant and would rather pick off another one or two. Although I’d love to group hike, Peak time is precious. Thinking about peaks left – Colden or Haystack. Haystack is a bit longer that I think I want to bite off on Saturday (although I’d consider it). I’m thinking Colden. Anyone interested let me know.

If all goes well and I can shift the work schedule a bit earlier, I’ll make it to dinner on Friday. Otherwise it may be 9 – 10 PM when I pull in.

Spence, let me know if I can bring anything to help out. (Folding table comes to mind – better than the kerosene heater of last).

What’s with this forecast? Oh, I forgot, it’s summer 2004…

Thursday Night
Partly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms.
Lows in the lower 50s. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Friday
Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s.

Friday Night
Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms.
Lows in the lower 50s. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Saturday
Mostly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms.
Highs in the mid 70s. Chance of rain 40 percent.

Saturday Night
Partly cloudy with a chance of showers and thunderstorms.
Lows in the mid 50s. Chance of rain 30 percent.

Sunday
Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 70s. FIGURES!

Sunday Night
Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 50s.

Warren, I’ve got a new kayak coming from the factory, but won’t have it by the weekend. Next time – paddle time. Talk to you there.

Don't worry about the weather, it seems to rain here everyday this summer. My local forcast I got yesterday was partly clowdy Thursday and Friday--Sat and Sunday I hadn't gotten yet.

I was able to get tables and chairs from our local fire department, and a friend is lending us a tent for the tables, a small help in staying dry if need be.

Avalanche friday morning sounds real good, If we leave the house at 8am we can be hiking by 9am. Then ontop by noon. Out by three.

Mavs--My son Eric will be here for the gathering, I don't know if he'll be hiking or not. Probobly not on a bushwhack. Oh, beers and a bonfire for thursday is a given. Maddi and I were just thinking about everyone chipping in for pizza and wings that night.

Dax--Find Rte 9N between Keene and Keene Valley. Head in Elizabethtown. In e-town you will come to a T intersection and a stop sign (golf course on right). Go left into and through town. Go straight through the blinking light and head toward Lewis. In Lewis look for a road on the right (CR12-Stowersville Rd). Follow here...you will cross over the northway (I87). My house is just up on the left about 1 minute. Just past a sharp left hand turn in the road. I will have VFTT signs scattered along to help people find there way.

Last edited:
Well, as usual, life is what happens when you're making other plans. Not sure if I will be able to get to the gathering this weekend. :( Although Charlie was but a shadow of a storm by the time it reach NH, we have some major water damage in the master bedroom. Part of the problem may stem from ice back-up this past winter, but Charlie just kinda did everything in. Ceiling, carpet, flooring, insulation all get ripped out today (the insurance company doesn't mess around with potential mold and mildew, I guess). Lord only knows what else they'll find - already see two water stains on the kitchen ceiling below. UGH! This is not going to be pretty.

Depending on the timing of the repairs will determine if I will be at the gathering this weekend. I am so bummed!!! :( :( :( I was looking forward to seeing everyone again. DAMN! I hate being a home owner!!!:mad:

Ya know--I hate being a home owner too. But I also hate paying rent to someones property I'll never own. It's a catch 22. We'll miss you, hope things turn out ok for you; and who knows maybe things will be all said and done in time for the BBQ. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I'm gonna try to get there - it all depends on where the damage assessment / repair process stands for this weekend. I'm hoping that things will be ripped out, but not yet put back together so my presence won't be needed for painting, moving stuff back into the room, etc. Actually, I'm hoping that the roofing will happen this weekend - that's definitely something I won't be involved in!!!

Cascade/Porter on Saturday

Because I will have just done Allen (Wednesday) and because I AM still supposed to be being "good" and super duper careful (we'll assume Allen won't endanger me) with my hand, I'm taking an "easy" hike on Saturday. That means not only short mileage-wise, but also easy trail-wise, so that also means that I'm thinking the Rocky Peak/Giant trip is not a good idea for me.

Soooooo, if anyone is up for Cascade and Porter on Saturday, please feel free to join in! I know, it'll be a mob scene (a Saturday in the summer, perfect conditions for a crowd on a mountain such as Cascade) but I'm game anyhow.

There's a possibility I'll take the Porter via Keene Valley route MAYBE.

If anyone is interested, PM me or find me at Spence's and we'll talk!

the "gathering"

if we come up, either sat or sun; depending on weather you guys may already be out on the trails. is it ok to stop by later in the day, early evening just to say hi? what time do you think you'll be back sat?
or if we come up sat and decide to stay overnight is it ok to just set up our tent if you guys are gone????
with all this rain, is the ground saturated or pretty dry?
(pending no more torrential downpours again!)
thanks
bj

Can't make it after all!

Have a great BBQ and Adirondack gathering! I have a date with my hubby for a weekend in the Berkshires with a Tanglewood concert. Hope everyone has a great weekend with lots of good climbing and peak bagging!:) :) :)

Bog Orchis

I'm mooooving (to NH!).. and I am desperately trying to sell furniture, household items, books, art, a car, a kayak, etc. Other family committments forced me to have a moving sale this weekend... but I'll be at the Gathering in Sept!

Dang, there's a lot of crap in the car for just 3 nights...
:eek:

Bog Orchis
Wildflower lover

I have always wondered what the heck your username meant!

We'll miss you, Blue!

I'll see the rest of you in less than 24 hours ... woo-hoo!

Which peaks?

Well, I'm a little delayed in finishing my 46. I still need Saddleback, Basin, Haystack, and the Dix's minus Dix. Just did the Santanoni range last Sunday - what an amazing trip!

I'm debating whether to go to a local hiker party Sat evening or whether to join your gathering Friday evening (gotta work Friday).

Can your Sat. Saddleback trip include Basin? I don't have my map handy to check. Or is anyone interested in doing them Sat or Sunday? I'd also be interested in doing all 5 Dix's from Elk Lake and returning from Dix to Elk Lake or 73.

I was hoping to save Haystack for last as a single LONG hike from Elk Lake.

I don't drink so I'll bring tea. I'll also bring a few batches of my brownies. They're awesome hiking food. They kept me going last weekend.

Where are you meeting again Friday night? Thanks!

Changes

I hope to arrive tomorrow evening around 5 or 6..My wife and son can't make it as their plans changed this week.

Emily, I believe the Saddleback we are hiking is in the Jay range and not the high peak up near Basin unfortunately. I think there is a group going up that route to Haystack though so you should be able to find someone to hike with.

The beer's coolin' and the "Polymorphs" are made.

See you all soon.

Phil

My son is going with me he's 12 a scout and soccer player so he should have his legs and wind... Ems Ken in Long Island helped me by calling Spence's wife.. thx... wife angry because of the mess in living room, 2 days left of day camp! got a canoe and will try something, all in all the (how do you spell) adrenalin? is starting to flow! Would like to join a group that's going 10-12 miles of moderate plus.. thx for help, will arrive around 1-2 am Sat morning and sleep in van...thx.. David

Emily,

My notes say:

Friday dinner is at Crickets, in Peru 1 minute on the left off exit 35 of I-87. We have a 7:00pm reservation.

(ps - someone make these sniffles go away; I don't want a cold this weekend!)

Littlebear Wrote:
Ceiling, carpet, flooring, insulation all get ripped out today
just think- a free makeover! Any sort of water damage could only be an improvement to my place...
As everyone else's plans have changed, I may as well too. Probably BIG Slide on Friday, maybe Mt. Esther on Saturday.

Warren- Great news, now where am I supposed to get a real NY bagel on Friday morning.;)

I'm bringing my laptop, so if anyone wants to swap music, bring some blank CD's. (not copyrighted stuff- of course)