Adirondack Trails for GPS in column ASCII format

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stokasz

Reaction score
I posted this info over at ADK forum but I thought I should put it over here as well.

I purchased a Magellan GPS unit early this year and found out that Magellan software does not have trail information. Which is too bad because Magellan units seem to be well made and good performing. Anyway, by doing a somewhat large amount of work tracing trails in NG TOPO and using gps tracklog info from Andrew Lavigne's website I was able to create most of the trails in the Adirondack High Peaks area in column ASCII format. You can use these files with the ADDMAGMAP program to add files directly to Magellan maps or whatever other use you can think of. I cannnot guarantee the accuracy of these trails because trails are always moving and these are approximations but they have worked well for me.

ADK trails column ASCII

I have no idea what I'm looking at in that list, but you don't need to bother trying to explain it to me. My question is, do you know how long each trail/herd path is and what the elevation gain would be? Can that information somehow be discerned from your list?

I actually stripped out the elevation information for direct importation into Mapsend Topo. I probably have files with that information in them that I created in NG TOPO. Every route in those files is approximately 2 miles or less to keep the accuracy up as NG Topo only allows a route output with 30 waypoints. The best use of these files is to use the ADDMAGMAP program to add them directly to Magellan Mapsend products. IMHO Magellan has a real deficiency by not having hiking trails to their mapping software. ADDMAGMAP allows you to overcome that deficiency by putting hiking trails directly into the mapping software that you download to your GPS. The files I posted will save you a bunch of time in creating those hiking trails for the Adirondack High Peaks.