Adirondacks (High Peaks) weekend of 12/8

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HapyHkngSmile

Reaction score
:D :D :D Anyone have any good suggestions for an overnighter next weekend in the dack's. Kind of looking for an epic hike 8 miles rt (something with charm) obviously I am open to an array of suggestions!!!

Any good condition reports that were not yet posted??? :)

HapyHkngSmile said:
:D :D :D Anyone have any good suggestions for an overnighter next weekend in the dack's. Kind of looking for an epic hike 8 miles rt (something with charm) obviously I am open to an array of suggestions!!!

Can't help you with the overnighter part unless you take my recommendation to go to the Cascade Inn! :D

But if you want a good 8 mile hike, do Algonquin, with an option to tack on Wright if you have time, energy, etc.

Thanks

I've been craving an overnighter in the cold since last winter. I have conquered Algonquin in the summer - never in the winter... any suggestions or reports? I am sure i can search! Gear needed etc...

HapyHkngSmile said:
I've been craving an overnighter in the cold since last winter. I have conquered Algonquin in the summer - never in the winter... any suggestions or reports? I am sure i can search! Gear needed etc...
In spite of being relatively short, and well traveled, Big Al can be a tough mountain to climb. The winds can be extreme, and you could encounter white out conditions. Bring extra windproof layers and put them on BEFORE you get above tree line.

If you go, you should memorize the bearing back to tree line, (and bring a compass), so you can get back down safely if you need to turn around. Thanks to Neil for this tip!

Crampons and/or snow shoes are a good idea for this peak.

With all the warnings out of the way, it can be a blast! It has great views, and an awesome butt-slide chute, conditions permitting! :D

HapyHkngSmile said:

Unless you're looking for a peak to bag, I'll give you charm, if not epic. Hike in towards Dix from Rt. 73. The trail follows the Bouquet River and is beautiful in any season.
Another great possibility is to go into Flowed Lands/Lake Colden/Avalanche Lake from Upper works. Mostly flat, with some awsome scenery from the lakes.

Oldsmores said:
Unless you're looking for a peak to bag, I'll give you charm, if not epic. Hike in towards Dix from Rt. 73. The trail follows the Bouquet River and is beautiful in any season.
Another great possibility is to go into Flowed Lands/Lake Colden/Avalanche Lake from Upper works. Mostly flat, with some awsome scenery from the lakes.
And still lots of leantos in the general area...

Oldsmores said:

I am VERY interested in hearing more about these charms - I just found out from my hiking pal that we ail be doing something w/out summiting...

I think Big Slide via The Brothers trail is a nice option, you can camp at the Bear Brook lean to on the way to the JBL. Phelps from the ADK lodge with a stay at one of the many leantos in the area. This are shorty trails that would be easier to follow with a little snow cover. Phelps will almost certainly have a packed trail to it.

If you're just hiking w/o a summit, you could head in from the south side and take a peak at Wallface. It's super impressive!
Even just a day hike into Avalanche Pass is so spectacular in the snow!
Have fun :)
Dory

HapyHkngSmile said:
I am VERY interested in hearing more about these charms - I just found out from my hiking pal that we ail be doing something w/out summiting...
Not sure what you want to know. Avalanche Lake is one of my favorite places - a spectacular lake set in a steep gorge between two mountains. It's a great ski trip too, either out and back or as an end-to-end from Upper Works to the Loj if you can spot a car at either end.
The Bouquet is just a real peaceful little river valley to the east of Dix. There's a lean-to (about 5 miles in if my memory serves me) and plenty of good campsites. You can hike up into Hunter's pass if you've got time, very scenic.