ADK 2/26-28 Sewards, Whiteface, etc.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
It looks like our next trip to the Dax won't be until the end of the month. :(

My son Dominic and I have the following peaks (plus Ttop for Dom and RPR for us both) left for our 46:
Emmons/Donaldson
Whiteface/Esther
Cliff
Gray
The plan is to base ourselves out of a motel with a kitchenette or a hostel with fridge and cooking facilities and do E/D via Calkins on day 1, Whiteface/E on skis and snowshoes by the toll road on Day 2 and depending on our (well, mine I suppose) energy level and the routes and conditions either go for one of Gray or Cliff on day 3 or do Ttop and maybe another more accessable peak.

If there is so much new snow that we don't make E and/or D on day 1 we'll go right back at it on day 2 in order to profit from our trail, that is if THAT trail isn't wiped out by fresh snow.

I think it would be great if any forum members would care to join us on any or all of these hikes. Logistical details such as communications can be worked out later. Because the work load is ambitious (for me anyway) I'll be setting a slow and steady pace thinking about being fit for the morrow's hike.

The dates are pretty firm but will not be 100% bombproof until a couple of days from now.
The only place with a kitchenette I know of is in Upper Jay(a little too much out of the way). I'll be searching the net for something more central but any suggestions that fit our plans would be welcome.

Hey Neil,

Definitely interested in the Whiteface/Esther trip. I'd be up for Cliff and/or Tabletop too, but likely wouldn't be able to stay for the Monday.

As for places to stay, High Peaks Hostel in Lake Placid is really nice. Full access to their kitchen for like $22/night/person. I believe they have private rooms too.

-Shayne

Last edited:
If your interested in doing Whiteface and Esther from the Toll Road on this coming Sat. and/or the Sewards or Seymour on Sun. post here.

What no takers for trailbreaking in the Sewards? I will be doing Seymour and would love one or two more strong hikers.

White Face / Esther

Neil,

I was up on White Face and Esther today. The trail is all broke out now. Started at the Atmospheric Sciences Research Center. You may want to consider doing these before they get filled in.

Sam

Sam,
Thanks, we'll be skiing the road and snowshoeing back and forth to Esther.

Harry, I'll be in room 2 and should arrive between 8 and 9. You thinking of doing Seymour, Emmons and Seward? :D

Saw a trip report for Seward last weekend, so some of the trail should have been broken out. Not sure how much snow they've gotten in the last week.

-Shayne

Hi Neil,

I snow shoed the highway up to the 1st hairpin turn on Wednesday and the conditions were good. At about 1.5 miles up the snow was not deep and the crampons on the shoes sometimes hit the road. You could still see the track from people that headed over to Esther.

Have a good trip.

Mark

Arm,
I got your e-mail but my reply got bounced back by your automatic out of office reply. Here's a cut 'n' paste of my reply:

Hi Arm!
Our plan is to leave from the winter TH at 5am (groan) on Sunday. Most of
us will be on skis but at least one (and 2 if Harry comes) will be on
snowshoes. The group will split up at the Calkins turnoff. Three of us
will go along the Calkins trail and do in order of priority: Donaldson and
Emmons then Seward (We need D&E first and then Seward for our 46-w at which we are at about 10.) The others (Rik and his buddy Eric) are going for Seymour and may only be 2. Their 3rd party member will wait and see how his knees feel after we do WF/Esther tommorow. We will likely have radio contact with the Seymour group.
Does this work for you?
Neil