ADK Blake & Colvin camping and water

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Rickie

Reaction score
I've ordered a new camping hammock and wish to give it a test sleep this weekend while doing Blake & Colvin. Is there a camp sit in Elk Pass with water near by? Am I still in the Eastern High Peaks as far as Bear cans & fires are concerned?

Thanks

Rickie

Yes there is water in Elk Pass but it will need to be filtered and will not give you an ice-cream headache either as it flows out of the pretty marsh! But Elk Pass is quite a way beyond the Colvin/Blake intersection. There is a legal campsite near water about 30 minutes below the Colvin/Blake trail and yes no campfires and bear canister are a must there too.

it will need to be filtered QUOTE]

Always carry one with tabs back up.

But Elk Pass is quite a way beyond the Colvin/Blake intersection. There is a legal campsite near water about 30 minutes below the Colvin/Blake trail .

Well my question would be is which is closer to the Colvin/Blake trail start and which would be easier to hike to when I start my hike the next morning. It looks level in Elk Pass but I have a hammock so that's not a problem. I'd like to camp as close to my start as I can with water near buy.

yes no campfires and bear canister are a must there too.

I want to be sure about this as I'll be backpacking in and would prefer not to carry the weight of a bear can. The DEC map shows Lower & Upper Ausable Lakes well out side of the Eastern Boundry. Actually the boundry is on the opposite of the lakes where I'd be camping.