ADK Summer Gathering-Post mortem

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADKatie

Reaction score
I just want to take a moment to say "THANKS" to Spencer and Madeline for hosting the BBQ! A great time was had by all; we missed those of you who couldn't make it, we loved meeting those of you who became our new friends, and we can't wait for another chance to get together.

BRAVO!!!!!

Also, Spence and Maddy have more beer as a result of the "local beer swap" than I've ever seen in my life!

Huge thanks go out to the Peak_Bgr family for doing such a great job and letting us invade their lives and property for a few days...:) :) :)

3 1/2 cases of beer left to be exact-and one bottle of wine. Who's gonna help my drink it?

I had a fabulous time, everyone was great. I only wish we could have a gathering every month.

Thank you to all for helping clean up, I got home from the sunday hike up Saddleback and Jay and all the tables and chairs were picked up. The dishes were done and the garbage was all bagged up and seperated. Very cool. Thanks again.

Thanks Spence and Maddie for hosting a great party. You did it up right, and I had a wonderful time. Even if the hiking wasn't the greatest due to the rain on Saturday, I still had so much fun meeting and talking to everyone. I thought the turnout was very good, and I will be there if you decide to do it again!

"Post mortem" Katie?? Only from the wife of a medical examiner...
Spence...good thing you dodged the jury duty!! The VERDICT is in! You and Madeline throw a great bash, and thanks again. Next year I'll hit all three days! (Too early to reserve a tent site??)
Mavs: with your mountain exuberance, you're a VFTT poster boy for sure. (NY version anyway...we already have one in NH...)
Prino: You MUST get out climbing more than "a couple times a year." Get addicted like the rest of us!
John S.: Thanks again for the extra effort on retrieving my glasses on Hurricane. Much appreciated.
LittleBear: You must post those arty digital images! You gonna make it to Monadnock?

Nice to meet so many of you. Look forward to seeing you on the hills.
John

Awesome

I'd like to add my thanks for all the work Spence and Madeline put into organising this event.

That supersized canopy certainly came in handy on Saturday morning with all that rain we had.

It was my first gathering and enjoyed meeting a lot of new friends.
Can't wait for the next one.

Spence....those beers should keep you well oiled until the next time.

Enjoy! you earnt 'em

-Phil

ThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyou!!!!

Especially to Peak_Bgr & his family for opening their home and yard for this fabulous event! The tent was awesome - what a great idea. And thanks as well to Ed for the porta-potty, another great idea (but if any more people show up next time, we'll need a second :D).

I had a fabulous time meeting new faces and seeing familiar ones, hiking (Teejay and I had a great hike up Street), playing tourist (CrazyMama and I staying dry only on the outside at the Lake Placid brewery pub), playing paparazzi (pictures coming soon!), eating, drinking, camping, etc.

We have a really awesome community here, and it's always a pleasure to see it in "real life".

I have soooo many souvenir bug bites...
8)

I thought the same thing about "post mortem". Could it have been "Trip Report", Noooo....

Yeah it was a great time, many thanks to Spence and Madeline. It was great seeing the familiar faces as well as meeting the new ones.

From Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary

---------------
Main Entry: 1post·mor·tem
Pronunciation: "pOs(t)-'mor-t&m
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin post mortem after death
1 : done, occurring, or collected after death <postmortem tissue specimens>
2 : following the event
---------------

Usage #2 is quite correct in this case. Come-on you ghouls, must we always place such negative connotations on death ;) . I believe it was the great Roman philosopher Lucius Seneca that once said "The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity."

Perhaps a meeting is in order to assuage your earthly fears......................I vote at Spence's house, since he has all the friggin beer ;)

Just joking of course :rolleyes:, but not about the tremendous gratitude to Spence an his family. A hearty thank you. Also, it was a real pleasure to meet all of you last weekend. Warren, them bagels was good, where were they from again.

Last edited:
Oh, I know the term post mortem beyond the ghoulish use. Back when I worked at a pysc. hospital we have one on a patients treatment plan and history every week... it's that the term seems so.. clinical.

The bagels were gotten at Davids Bagels on 1st ave and 14th street in NYC. When I'm in the city on the weekends it's one of my normal breakfast stops right before walking down to Tents & Trails. Second best place for bagels in the city, if you ask me.

Spence and Madeline - I know I said it several times, but it was truly wonderful of you to open your home (and back yard) to all of us. Yours is one of the best campgrounds I've stayed at all year!!! The tent was a great idea and gave us a place to hang out in while it rained.

Once again, it was great to see familiar faces and to meet new folks as well. I always leave these things with a big smile on my face all the way home. The weather turned out okay - at least we were able to salvage half of Saturday, and we stayed at the summit of Hurricane until the clouds cleared (it only took 2 hours :D ). I'll try to get some pics posted as soon as I can. Of course I came back to work only to find that things are still on a fast course so be patient, it may take a while before I can get anything posted.

As usual, the food was incredible and I will be looking for some recipes. I will share mine, too, just pm or e-mail me.

A big thanks goes to TeeJay who brought a big coffee pot so I could get my requisite 5 cups of morning coffee :D :D :D Of course, TeeJay was a bit slow getting the pot going on Saturday morning.... so Bob had to rescue me with a first cup of joe (thanks).

Prino, John S, and Big Moose - thanks for hiking with me on Saturday and being perfectly willing to change plans. Even though I didn't hike a 4K, this was a great hike with wonderful views (finally).

What a wonderful community we have here. Hope to see you all at the Catskills Gathering in September!!!

Another fantastic weekend

It's hard for me to find the words to express my appreciation to the peak bagr clan for their time and generosity in sharing their unmatched facilities. Bravo!!!!!!!! I love you all.

Spencer, every month? January-Heart Lake, March-Wonalancet, May-Devil's Path, August-Your Place, September-Catskills. Looks like we're working on it, though.

Warren, the second best? What will you be bringing to the Catskills?

MichaelJ, what bugs? The only thing that drew my blood was a sharp twig. Thanks, man, for bein' my bug decoy. It was a great hike. Glad you can make it to the Catskills, I may need you.

Kris, sorry about being so slow on the joe. The giant joe pot will be fully stoked and ready to fire up at the earliest possible moment in the Catskills. Promise.

Meeting so many new friends at the BBQ I still missed seeing so many of the old ones who couldn't be there. But it didn't feel as bad, quite, really. It just makes the anticipation for the next time we're together so much more exciting.

On to the Catskills.

teejay

Spence and Madeline, Thanks a bunch from our little clan. Your hospitality made everyone feel welcomed.

I am quite jealous for your location to the High Peaks. Within a few minutes we were in the hills. Friday we were up Haystack (crazymoma, Daxs) , Saturday was Big Slide (my family) and Monday the Sewards (daxs, bubba). I can not imagine living so close. I would act like a kid in a candy store.

Thanks again,
Ed

Thanks Spence and Madeline,
and Brian for keeping the fire stoked !

and thanks TeeJay for breakfast...

Keeping it short, i'm really tired....Thx Spence, Maddi and Eric,

Jordan and i had a great time.

What can i say.. thx for invite.. us newbie's hiked our butts off

Noonmart with the kids sun.. Jo at the loj on monday and Marcy tues. came out this am, drove 330 miles packing for binghamton now, leaving in a few hours then off to niagra then 1000 islands.

Thx for the blisters, scrapes, bug bites, scared when the bear ate our neighbors food and the 20 minutes spent on top of Marcy!

Can't wait for the next trip! thx from David (coldfeet) and Jordan (the dry one), he never sweated!

Thanks Spencer and Maddie for another great gathering. it was fun getting together and hiking and dining with other VFTT members. If i'd known you had so much beer left over, I would have stopped by on wednesday night. I could ahve used a few cold ones after hiking Allen that day.

Spencer and Maddie, thanks again for helping Pat, Marge, and me kick off a fabulous week in NY. Brian, you and Spence are two of the best bushwhack guides!

We were so impressed by the various palatial "Taj" tents in the backyard that we just went out and got one, called, appropriately, a Bedouin. It'll be there next year.