ADK Trail Registers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bridgeman

Reaction score
Ok I sign the trail register at the trailhead with my intended itineary (route, number of days, etc.), then i get to Lake Colden and there is another register.

Do I also sign this register or is the main trail register sufficient?

bridgeman said:
Ok I sign the trail register at the trailhead with my intended itineary (route, number of days, etc.), then i get to Lake Colden and there is another register.

Do I also sign this register or is the main trail register sufficient?
Sign it. If you turn up missing it gives an indication of where you have been and when you were there. Such information is extremely valuable to search teams.

Such information is extremely valuable to search teams.

...and to anyone who wants to break into your vehicle, but would prefer to do it in private. As long as somebody knows where I am, I prefer not to sign in.

To each his own.

Tim Seaver said:
... I prefer not to sign in.

To each his own.
I am under the impression that hiking Forums, like VFTT, are intended to be educational and informative, and are not intended to encourage unlawful behavior.

With regard to trail registers, DEC regulations are clear:

“No person shall fail to register whenever passing a trail register established by the department in the Eastern High Peaks Zone.” 6 NYCRR § 190.13(f)(1).​

The trail register at Lake Colden is in the Eastern High Peaks Zone.

Hike your own hike. VftT cannot (and isn't really interested) in enforcing laws. Education is fine, let's leave it at that.

-dave-

Willie said:
I am under the impression that hiking Forums, like VFTT, are intended to be educational and informative, and are not intended to encourage unlawful behavior.

I'm sure when your career is photography and you have had your car broken into multiple times your view on that type of "unlawful behavior" might change. :(

That problem seems much more prevalent in the Whites than the Daks. When you have your car broken into and you ask the officer if they have had others today and he replies it is his 22nd call today you take a mental "gulp".
:eek:

Hmm... If I had a choice between having the rangers come after me or the people that would get a call if something happened to Tim... I might take the latter.

If your in the other 99% of people I would sign in. I honestly think Tim with a broken tibia could make it off Owlshead faster than 30% of hikers would healthy. And take better pictures than I could on the way out.

Willie said:
“No person shall fail to register whenever passing a trail register established by the department in the Eastern High Peaks Zone.” 6 NYCRR § 190.13(f)(1).​

Man, another Wilderness regulation... the Beaudry sure has spoiled me!
:rolleyes:

In New York, the registers are also one way to gather at least some data on the level of usage an area receives. Places like Marcy Dam and Lake Colden are worthy destinations of their own for some folks, not just spots on the way to peaks.

As far as the break-in thing, it's thankfully not that much of an issue here in New York. And if we're talking about a busy trailhead like the one at the Adirondack Loj, I imagine a potential thief would have a hard time matching up one of the dozens of cars with the one of the dozens of names in the register (most of whom are probably headed to Marcy!)

Matt

Upper Works or the ADK Loj are pretty out-of-the-way places to go to break into cars. Too much potential for a witness to spot you driving the 8 or 9 miles back to the main road.

I don't see a problem with signing in at Lake Colden - at least the thieves would have to hike at least 4 miles each way to see if your car will be unattended overnight!

ADK Pearl Clutchers Club

I imagine a potential thief would have a hard time matching up one of the dozens of cars with the one of the dozens of names in the register (most of whom are probably headed to Marcy!

Well, if there are only two cars from Vermont with bright green plates that certainly makes it a little easier for them. And NOT stating your address would be against regulations, and we all know how horrifying that prospect is.
:eek:

albee said:
Upper Works or the ADK Loj are pretty out-of-the-way places to go to break into cars. Too much potential for a witness to spot you driving the 8 or 9 miles back to the main road.

One would think that Route 302 in broad daylight would also be a place for all of those witnesses to surely prevent anyone from busting a window in a car 30 feet from the highway and helping themselves. But that turns out to be a fantasy.

If the register was a one-way deposit tube that could be accessed only by the DEC I would be happy to offer my info. But until then, no thanks, I feel much safer leaving my itinerary with my family and friends.

I really don't think that the theives look at trail registers and decide which car to go after - It's a crime of opportunity. They make the decison to steal some stuff, drive in to some parking lot/trailhead, and if nobody's around they just start breaking windows. And why do they always have to break the driver's window? :mad: Since it happened to me a few years ago (in Algonquin Prov. Pk. - 13 vehicles), I'm always a bit apprehensive as I walk out after a hike - or does everyone feel like that anyway?

This kind of goes hand in hand with my fear of leaving a telephone number down.. I have some unexplainable fear of getting telemarketers if I left a phone number in the trail register. stupid thought but hey, can't help it..

Jay

I know this is the NY section, but on the topic of trail registers.

Why aren't there any trail registers up in the Whites??????