ADK trip submitted for experts' approval...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markv

Reaction score
Does this sound reasonable?

Day 1 starting at around 1 p.m. from Adirondack Loj, taking the trail to Marcy Dam, then through Avalanche Pass, making camp between Avalanche Lake and Lake Colden (i've read a couple of mentions of sites there), and then dayhiking (or day-turning-to-night hiking) up Algonquin. If it's too late, Algonquin could be tacked onto Day 2, or ack even skipped altogether.

Day 2 along southeast shore of Colden, following the Opalescent River upstream to the top of Marcy, (dropping packs and checking out Mt. Skylight if there is time), following the Phelps trail to camp at Bushnell Falls? Or Slant Rock?

Day 3 hike out on the Phelps to our (did i mention we'd have 2 cars?) other car. (Does John Brooks Lodge serve breakfast?)

I'd say we are about average speed...faster than official book times, but usually slower than the big testosterone trip report times online.

Any thoughts appreciated!
And also for the Mansfield thread i posted, any ideas are welcomed!

Thanks, board.

Mark -

I'm not going to call myself an expert but your variation is definitely superior to the hike I suggested over on Highpointers. First you avoid the gruntwork of carrying a full pack over Algonquin and second, you are right in recognizing Avalanche Pass as a must-see. As for finding a camping spot between Avalanche Lake and Lake Colden, I'm going to stay right out of that ... haven't been back that way since Floyd and from what I understand, that area got hammered pretty hard so my memories probably bear little resemblance to the current reality. Rubber stamp granted.:)

I'm assuming your getting Skylight first, before Marcy. There should be plenty of time for that, and well worth the effort I might add. Algonquin from Lake Colden is Quite steep and after that 6 mile hike into camp, you will sure be whooped at the end of that day. Have fun, sounds like a good trip.

Beware of possible bear activity in the Lake Colden area.

Oh ya, the new lean-to at Slant Rock is hard to find. It's about 2/10 of a mile off the trail on a side hill. The views from there are amazing, and the sunsets should be breathtaking. You should camp there.

As for the JBL serving breakfast, I know they do, but when and how often I don't know. Call the ADK Loj for that info..

Expanding on what peak_bgr said... the trail from Lake Colden to Algonquin is very steep and unrelenting. Be sure to drop your backpacks before climbing up. You will definately feel a sense of accomplishment. Have fun!

Trail on S.E. side of Lake Colden

Mark,

A couple years ago I hiked the trail on the southeast side of Lake Colden. Perhaps my memory is lacking, maybe I was tired (it was after an all night hike), and maybe the trail has received some maintenance since, but my memory tells me that the section of trail between the junction with the red trail leading to Mt. Colden and the Opalescent River sucked. I recall the trail being overgrown and one section of trail (about 10 feet) literally in the lake. I told myself I would never hike that section again.

Willie

Thanks for the tip. I'll ask about if it's better to go the extra mile NE around the lake, um, whomever i call before i head out. Who is the "ranger" person to call out there? Adirondack Mountain Club? The Loj?