ADKBBQ, Jay Range Saddleback, TR Peak, Lyon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmoose

Reaction score
Back in Massachusetts after an excellent time at the 3rd annual Adirondack BBQ and climb fest at Spence and Maddi's in Lewis, N.Y.

I'd hoped to tag along for Pat and Audrey's finish of the 111 on Marshall Friday. But I got a hopelessly late start Friday night, pushing off at 10 pm for a 350 mile drive. (Last minute "request" to stay late by my media outlet to cover the Stones' sound check at Fenway Park. Ole Mick is a perfectionist, (OK, I'm a name dropper!) and the 7:00 sound check lasted til 9:30. Woulda been interesting, but I was in a helicopter and the only sound check I heard was 'whaphapwhapwhap.') Oh well.
I hurriedly packed at home but didn't make it beyond Rutland. (I've fallen asleep at the wheel and cheated death before, so I know when to stop.) I crashed at the Best Western on rte. 4. (They have a Sun-Thu deal in the green Traveler's coupon book you may have seen...$37 for an excellent room...plus nice outdoor pool, tennis court, free breakfast. A tad better than the Northwoods Cabins, gang!) The Pat and Audrey group had pushed off well before time I arrived the next morning, of course, but AlG was my ace in the hole. He was nice enough to wait for me, so we opted for Jay Range Saddleback (ADK #81, 3600') which is only about 15 minutes up Spence's Road.
The road deteriorates quickly, though, becoming a washed-out gravel track
and my Prizm was acting like a road grater. Ouch! AlG was cringing. Amazingly, a Town of Lewis DPW truck was heading down the hill, amazed to see us. He told us we'd never get through to the other end, but we said we were just going to the height of land. Actually, we went a little beyond, encountering basketball-sized rocks and washouts. I backed up a half-mile and we parked in a tiny turnoff.
The only clues I had for this bushwhack were from the McMartin NE Adirondack guide which said to head 55 degrees magnetic from our spot. As we set out, it didn't seem right as we were slabbing a slope on the right, rather skirting Frenyea Mt. to the left. Sure enough, we ended up on a bump to the east of Saddleback and had to dip and rise to the NW to our goal. (Not a good candidate for orienteering, I'm afraid, Prino.) Didn't cost much time, though. The hike was nice, little blowdown, no dense spruce, and abundant raspberries and a big bluberry patch on the E corner of the lower Saddleback bump. The views south to Ausable #4, Green and Giant were hazy, but I'd seen a picture of the Jay Range from the higher bump, so we headed there over long stretches of bare rock and a little tangle. Before long we found the "official" high point and after a little searching, found the dramatic view of the Jays to the north. (Unbeknown to us, Prino and Neil had passed this way maybe 45 minutes previous and were now down below us somewhere, bushwhacking to Jay!) Later, we all lamented we hadn't known each others' plans.
AlG and I descended without difficulty, but hit the road .2 miles from the car despite map, compass, and Alg's excellent GPS. Well, what's a degree or two anyway??! Saddleback, for us, was an easy 3 miles round trip and 1500 vertical.
To Elizabethtown for cold refreshment, then back to tent city in Spence's back yard, where there were 31 tents, but nobody else back yet. I drove back beyond E-town to Split Rock Falls where I had a brisk plunge, opening up my pores, losing my sweat. At this time, showers began, and they'd be with us off and on for the rest of the weekend.
The evening meal was at Crickets up north in Peru. (I scored a ride in Neil's 7-seater van...I think this should be the official VFTT transport wagon.) After success at Crickets last year, the VFTT headed back. The place is great. We had four big, long tables, great food, and excellent service from an efficient and good looking waitress that caught the attention of the males at our table. Alas, she had no black leather apron. (Note to Little Bear...bring yours along for these dinners in case the waitress needs one!)
Back to Spence and Maddi's for libation under the EZ-up and more tales of the day's trips, especially the 20-strong Marshall climb/celebration. Overnight the skies opened up, heralding the next day's weather.

Bigmoose - I moved the second part of your post into this same thread rather than having it in two different threads.

- darren

------------------------------

I forget the maximum length for these posts, so part two comes here.
Saturday morning was the battle of the bagels. I think Coldfeet's NY bagels and HarryK's Montreal's were the main contenders. TJ's coffee urn took the edge off the damp.
It was a soggy morning with light rain continuing. Interest in hiking was ebbing. Most of the Marshall contingent opted for some down time in Lake Placid. The indefatigable HarryK led a group up Tabletop and Phelps. Mountain Goat set off for Gothics via Pyramid despite there being no view. Prino was heading to Esther, but Neil convinced him to join us for TR peak. (This insignificant bump off the Van Hoevenberg trail up Marcy is actually ADK #61 at 3820'.) I enjoyed the ride over in Neil's vehicle, able to watch the scenery instead of the road for a change. Parking at the Loj was only $3 thanks to Neils' membership.
Reaching Marcy Dam, we marveled at the mud flats in the wake of the recent dam's breaching. I never knew that pond had been so shallow! Actually, the breach may be remedied as we saw sandbags being filled and readied.
We moved steadily up the trail with a couple of clues about a herdpath up TR. Despite the information, we went too far and settled for a westerly bushwhack. The going was thick and a short cliff was a challenge. Before too long, though, we stumbled upon the herd path in some blowdown, and easily found the top, marked by a sign. My attempts at pictures were foiled by fogged camera lens. We were dripping wet with sweat & drizzle. Descending, we found ourselves on an alternate branch of the herdpath which had a surveyor's ribbon, now removed.
Saturday night was the BBQ. Changing out of soggy clothes, we congregated under the EZ up and inhaled the aroma of the massive chunk of beef cooking over the fire on a spit nearby. Michael J brought out a few thousand ears of Massachusetts corn, and SherpaK brought out the Doctor. An uncountable variety of beer from all over the Northeast was on ice, wine flowed, and the party rolled on. Bubba and Little Bear modeled their black aprons. The inimitable Pete Hickey took to the backyard pool with Olympic flair, caught in mid-air by Michael J's lens. Can't wait to see the shot posted!
Mavs00 made the scene and entertained with tales of conquering Cheney Cobble and North River with son Nick and our hosts. As the evening moved along, Pete, Neil, and Funky Freddy entertained with guitar and flute. Talked baseball trivia, of all things, with Teejay and Pat. Did you know Pat was Sox ace Bill Monboquette's battery mate in high school in Medford?! And BTW guys...the Dodgers catcher supplanting Campanella was John Roseboro. It came to me while climbing up Lyons this morning!
Also, two presentations of a sort took place. Teejay, guru of the Gatherings, was kind enough to accept the presentation of the new VFTT banner, to be hoisted at all VFTT events. (If you ever need something similar, contact High Flying Flag Co. of Greenfield, NH. They do great work, fast, and are very reasonable.) We hung the banner from the EZ up and brought Audrey and Pat foreward to accept a nice framed picture signed by everybody in attendence. Good job, Maddi! Michael J (official photographer?) captured the moments.
Rain continued overnight and I had to make an early exit. Skies looked better to the north, though, so I thought I might squeeze Lyon Mt. in "on my way home." (Lyon is a "two-fer." ADK #58 at 3830', and Northeast2kp #38 with a prominence of 2212...putting it ten positions above Algonquin on that list!)
There was a little sun in Dannemora - much to the delight of the prisoners behind that huge wall,no doubt - but the atmosphere was saturated further west at the Lyon trailhead. I hoped the sun would burn through, so I headed up the old firewarden's road over an endless stretch of slippery sedimentary rocks. Different geology up here! The climb was tedious and uninspiring, and the top was all fogged in. No sense climbing the fire tower steps. Well, maybe next year I'll climb Averill and 'whack over here for the big Montreal view....
Back below I opted for the Cumberland Point Ferry to Vermont which was wonderful. Note to self - that south facing beach at the park on the way to the ferry looks very inviting. Widest sands I've seen at fresh water for awhile.
Sox won their ballgame on the radio as I approached Concord, a nice end to a wonderful weekend.
Thanks again Spence and Maddi for an excellent time. Looking forward to next year.
JT

Nice report and summary of the weekend. You got plenty done in the time you were there - and partied with the rest of us!!

Great to get to meet you. I'm saving Lyon for a nice day -- Averill's views were fog, except for Views from the Middle on the way down. Heard conflicting stories about the whack between Averill and Lyon.

JT,

You can bet it was qa highlight of mine to get some time to "discuss" various topics involved with hiking and peakbaggin in our fair woods. It is my sincere hope that we someday get to hike together. You have so much to teach me :D.

Get report and I look forward to our next meeting and hopfully it will involve at summit somewhere (notice I did not say trail ;) ).

I was just back here searching through trip reports to see if there was one by either Cantdog or Pete Hickey for Street and Nye. I'm trying to finish my 46er reports before the end of year deadline and I guess you could say I'm cheating a little. :D

Anyway, I came upon this great report from Bigmoose which I had somehow missed. Ah sweet memories!! This was the same time of my first bushwack with Neil, what a great hike that was, sorry we didn't connect up with you that day John. I think we made up for it the following year with a trip up TR.