Advanced buttsliding

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidoc22

Reaction score
All these threads about winter hiking are getting me thinking about new and different ways to get from one place to another in the winter. As I glissaded down Algonquin one frosty January day last year I came upon a couple with carrying small inflatable "butt sleds" for lack of a better term. I have no experience with these, but I wonder if anyone has used these for winter descents? The price is certainly right and they appear to be fairly light to carry. Any thoughts?

http://www.bobwards.com/bobwards/servlet/item/features/805610-01

swiss bob!

I used a swiss bob sled all last winter! They're fun and easy to maneuver.

swissbobsled.jpg

Mine is red!

-Dr. Wu

Tried a swiss bob before, but found you could go only so far before they stop dead. A cheap plastic sled will make the ride a little more interesting but are a tad more bulky. Bird and I used cheap plastic sleds until we found out about these suckas last year...a little bit heavier than a regular sled but you can ride em to the bottom without having to get up...they can carve, do tricks and fly!! Long live Mad River Rocket! :cool:
TheClassicLG.jpg

When I was a kid I had a sled similar to Wu's swiss bob.
It was red and had a single handle that came up between your legs with a little helmet type cap.
When you sat on it it looked like you had a big........... You get the idea.

I can't believe they sold such things (and my mother bought one). :eek: :eek:

Head said:
Tried a swiss bob before, but found you could go only so far before they stop dead. A cheap plastic sled will make the ride a little more interesting but are a tad more bulky. Bird and I used cheap plastic sleds until we found out about these suckas last year...a little bit heavier than a regular sled but you can ride em to the bottom without having to get up...they can carve, do tricks and fly!! Long live Mad River Rocket! :cool:
TheClassicLG.jpg

I've had A MadRiver Pocket Rocket for Years. Mine is Puke Green. It has held up really well. I donot use it for but slide transportation but as a hauling sled (a.k.a. POLK)
I have only seen these sold now just as a sled. When I bought mine back in the 80's you could get a ridgid towing bar with a belt harness. Also a sled cover was available.
I'm going to try a Swiss Bob in Blue!

Downside of Butt-Sliding?

Hey all you butt-sliders,

Just curious...

Do you ever encounter negative reactions from folks climbing up a trail that has been "butt-slid" into a smooth and icy chute...

For example, such as the Lion's Head winter route and other steep trails?

Also, in the Daks, where there are snowshoe-mandatory rules, is there any prohibition against butt sliding on a hiking trail?

While glissading is cool on open slopes and snow fields, does butt-sliding a narrow hiking trail make ascent more difficult for those that follow?

What do you think?

cb

Wow, Tom, that snowclaw is awesome! Talk about versatile! If you have used one before, what do you think about it's performance as a glissading tool?

To answer ChrisB's question. I've seen the VanHoevenberg trail up to Marcy (I'm a Dacks dude) looking like a bobsled run with banked sides and packed bottoms from butt-sliding (and probably alot of other causes like skis...), but don't think that it poses any kind of problem for the ascentionists who are adequately equipped. Showshoes with crampons will grip well on pretty much anything short of bullet ice. I'm not familiar with ski skins, but I believe they would be fine on packed snow. As far as crampons, if they're not gripping, there's something wrong.

I don't think that there's any kind of prohibition on glissading in the Dacks, at least I've never encountered any info on it; and I've never gotten any negative feedback from others I've encountered on the way down.

ChrisB said:

Just curious...

Do you ever encounter negative reactions from folks climbing up a trail that has been "butt-slid" into a smooth and icy chute...

For example, such as the Lion's Head winter route and other steep trails?

Also, in the Daks, where there are snowshoe-mandatory rules, is there any prohibition against butt sliding on a hiking trail?

While glissading is cool on open slopes and snow fields, does butt-sliding a narrow hiking trail make ascent more difficult for those that follow?

What do you think?

cb
If the trail is crowded I won't go down it on the swiss bob. However, they are pretty maneuverable and stop pretty quickly if necessary. I haven't had a problem. They don't mess up the trail either.

-Dr. Wu

jbrown said:
Wow, Tom, that snowclaw is awesome! Talk about versatile! If you have used one before, what do you think about it's performance as a glissading tool?

No, I got the tip from Periwinkle...

As for negative reactions, yes, I've gotten them. But I really don't understand it. Maybe they're just jealous! :D :D

ChrisB said:

Just curious...

What do you think?

cb

I have never received negative comments (at least I haven't 'heard' any). Most people I encounter want to see what I'm using and then ask where they can get one. I have ridden down trails (Hancocks, S.Twin for example) in front of others in my group and asked if there were any problems for them coming down in my track and they say there is none. Others I have encountered going up say that's the way they're going to descend. Those most jealous were the skiiers/snowboarders on Wildcat's Polecat trail. They wanted to try it, and wanted to know if they could they get them at the base lodge. (What they didn't know that as six of us were having the ride of our life, only 3 had butt sleds (aka rump riders ;) ), two had shovels, and one brought the only thing she could find in a hurry - a dish drain!! And she flow down the trail. :D )

Glissading is a tried & true method of descending as detailed in Freedom of the Hills. It would be tough to say it's poor form.

Those most likely to not like it I have to think are people without crampons or snowshoes. (My old snowshoes did not grip real well going downhill but that was the snowshoe & in most cases all you had to do was walk at the edge of the winter track/trail formed by the many hikers)

Doesn't butt sliding also help pack the trail? when it's not frozen, that means you may be able to ascend without snowshoes.

I've cursed sliders once under my breath not long after they were gone, not for sledding but since I was coming down late, the packed trail had frozen & I had to wear my crampons longer since I was slide-less. That would be my fault not theirs.

Yeah, they're probably just jealous for being slideless, or uncoordinated (like me :) ). Can't wait to get some more practice. The only downside to buttsliding is I keep losing Nalgenes out of the side pocket of my pack when I crash: 3 lost so far. Assuming no protruding rocks/stumps-ouch!

Weatherman

Great thread! I've only ridden my gear sled down not-so-steep trails before, and without much success. These little speed demons look like they'd do the trick much more nicely.

What is a typical distance one can go on some of these aforementioned sleds? I know trail turns and conditions play a big part in determining that, but I just want to get a general idea. Has anyone basically done top to bottom of a lengthy trail, sans the flat parts?

Artex said:
Great thread! I've only ridden my gear sled down not-so-steep trails before, and without much success. These little speed demons look like they'd do the trick much more nicely.

What is a typical distance one can go on some of these aforementioned sleds? I know trail turns and conditions play a big part in determining that, but I just want to get a general idea. Has anyone basically done top to bottom of a lengthy trail, sans the flat parts?
I've gone down the South Hancock trail with my swiss bob... I may have flipped off it a few times but in general, it's pretty maneuverable -- just be careful not to break your fingers as the handles hang low to the ground. I mostly steer with my feet and by shifting my center of gravity and use the handles only for stopping or making a hard turn.

Going down the Pine Bend Brook trail on Tripyramid was interesting. It slopes at funny angles and the turns in some places are difficult. At one point I was sliding down a steep, icy slope, headfirst and on my stomach. My swiss bob was somewhere ahead of me.

-Dr. Wu

I'll bet one of those things (choose your model) would make Lowe's Path very interesting! :eek:

Artex said:
Uh-huh :D Many trails (someday I'll put together my list of '55 with a ride' ;) )

Mad Townie said:
I'll bet one of those things (choose your model) would make Lowe's Path very interesting! :eek:
:D :D :D very fun!

Hey Jamie, I'll have to take you to Pleasant Mountain in Bridgton! The Firewardens Trail is great for sledding....wicked fast and wicked fun! It's about a 2 1/2 mile run all the way back to the car and if coniditions are favorable you can make it the whole way down with out stopping! It's a hoot of a time! :D

-MEB

on the tails of snowshoes.

Last winter we carried heavy packs over rpr and giant, and on the way down, I became very envious of those with lighter packs who could quickly drop to the ground, slide a ways, and jump right back up and keep going.

Well it didnt take long to rig something up with my two snowshoes (MSR Denali Ascents) and my 55 lb pack still on my back.

With the snowshoes on, I placed one foot in front of the other so the snowshoe in back rested on the tail of the snowshoe in front. I could then sit on the tail of the rear snowshoe and with a little bit of leverage from the winter boot (in front) pull the front of the forward snowshoe back and up as to remove the teeth from the snow. It worked damn near perfect, great control and good speeds, with the pack on... Only problem was standing back up at the end of the run.

Happy sliding.

~J

blacklab2020 said:
.... Only problem was standing back up at the end of the run.

I've found that if you use the last of your speed to lean forward and plant your snowshoes, getting up is pretty easy.