Advice for a New Englander moving to Utah

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all i know is you need to drink more beers to get drunk due to the lower alchohol. oh yeah, and you need to become a member at the bars to get in.

i had a blast out there when i went in 05.

snowbird was my favorite when we were there, but we stayed on trails mostly.

if you learn the mountain well maybe you can do BC tours, im looking to take a trip out west this winter! so far tahoe is top of the list.
Can't get any fancy IPA's. F-That!

-Dr. Wu

Wow! Thanks all for the nice well-wishes and all the great info so far. This is great! I already have lots to read. This move is tentatively tentative.

I'm trying to land a teaching job in a mountain community. The market here is worse than bad so I need to be somewhere with more teaching positions and nearby mountains. SLC has world-class snowboarding, hiking and lots of teaching positions.

So I'm going for at least this snowboarding season, and I'll follow whatever path life takes me, maybe back here, maybe there, who knows? ;)

Well this sucks, for us. I will also miss your pictures and knowledge. I know little about Utah so I can't help you there but have a great time. Hopefully you will still drop in once and while with some non-moose photos and to let us know how you are doing. Look forward to hearing of your new adventure.

Regards,
Keith

Well this sucks, for us. I will also miss your pictures and knowledge. I know little about Utah so I can't help you there but have a great time. Hopefully you will still drop in once and while with some non-moose photos and to let us know how you are doing. Look forward to hearing of your new adventure.

Regards,
Keith

Ditto. And the moose are going to miss you too. :( Best wishes!

Remember to pronounce it AL-ta and not AWL-ta or you will be immediately identified as a New Englander (not that there is anything wrong with that ;) )
You are moving to hiking/skiing/climbing paradise - you will love it.
I think at least half of the people I met out there on a trip in March were from the Northeast. They came for a ski trip and never went back.

Please continue to post wildlife photos. Plenty of bison and bighorn sheep to be seen on Antelope Island on the Great Salt Lake -http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/antelope-island

no more moose photos?

Ditto. And the moose are going to miss you too. :( Best wishes!

Forestgnome, everyone here has already told you what you need to know to start hiking in Utah--I second all the great things people have to say (have hiked in Bryce, Zion, Paria Slot canyons). Mainly what I also want to echo: I will really miss the moose photos. Always so amazing and delightful. I hope you find a similar subject out West and post your photos here!

Never been in the summer but was there this past April for 100 inches in 5-6 days at the top of Big and Little Cottonwoods. It was bottomless and completely unreal at Snowbird, Brighton, and Solitude.

You mentioned skiing, so check out Powder Mountain and Snowbasin in addition to the more well known areas. Basin has the vertical and is a little ritzy, this is where they held Men's Downhill events for the SLC Olympics. Powder is more Mom&Pop, snowcat rides were fun at Powder. Snow stayed fresh b/c nobody there. UTAH POW BABY!!

A Mexican food joint called Molca Salsa, delicious!!

On our trips out there, we haven't had any problem finding good beer (including IPAs) in Utah, in particular in larger or more popular towns.

Also, the state stores in some cities have a decent selection of wines, beers, hard likker, etc. -- in particular the one in Moab.

That being said, in some places, the state stores are well camouflaged and are often stuck in the back of other retail stores. A case in point: in Springdale, the town adjacent to the southern entrance to Zion, the liquor store is a small room in the back of a gift shop.

Wacky.

Also a few good brew pubs in Salt Lake City and surrounding areas.

The Uintas are fantastic. According to Google it's less than an hour to Kamas from SLC and about 90 minutes total to Mirror Lake. The Highline trail is on my "someday" list (maybe next summer.) Speaking of next summer, you interested in 14ers? It's not that far to the San Juans or Elks...

What's your field? I can keep an eye out if anything opens in UNM-Taos (or -LA, we're a little less mountainy but not bad, depending on how picky you are!)