Affordable yet good quality crampons??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GorpBurp

Reaction score
I am relatively new to the winter hiking scene and do not currently own a pair of crampons. I know that places that rent crampons are few and far between and I am wondering what kind of crampons I should purchase. I need ones that work well but aren't too serious and aren't gonna burn a hole in my wallet. Any suggestions??

thanks
GorpBurp ;)

Depending on how much you want to spend, the Black Diamond Contact 10-pointers are a good choice. They'll cost you about $100 . Many stores sell them, but here's REI's link:

REI

I've had a similiar pair for years, and they've performed great. No complaints.

Best of luck.

If an "all-around" lightweight crampon is your style, I recommend the Stubai Ultralight Universal. They wouldn't be great for hard ice climbing but for everything else the Northeast has sent my way, they've been great. And they really are lightweight at 590 grams. I got mine from the Catskill Hiking Shack in Wurtsboro NY for $100. By the way, The Hiking Shack is a great place with an extremely knowledgeable and friendly owner (Susan)...visit her whenever you're in the area.

I got a new pair of Grivel G-10's from Summit Haus last week. They also give a discount to REI members. That made it $88.65 including shipping. They seem to be very similar to the Black Diamonds.

Summit Haus

crampons

ok i've said this before .....
sierra trading post
if all you need is a pair of crampons for hiking purposes don't spend a ton.
i got a great pr of step-ins for $32 off sierra and they have worked flawlessly. i also have a pr of austri-alpine universal crampons that run, new around $70. now is a good time to look. of course you want a good quality pair but try to buy on sale. and i think someone else also mentioned ebay.

here's the austrialpines:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=27066670

and some other less expensive ideas:

http://www.northernmountain.com/NMS...AMOSEcrins10Point&Dept=CL&Cat=CL5&SubCat=CL53

http://www.northernmountain.com/NMS...abretoothToeStrap&Dept=CL&Cat=CL5&SubCat=CL53

http://www.backcountry.com/store/BLD0659/Black-Diamond-Contact-Strap-Crampons.html?id=tZJZLKiz

ebay:(you can ck for others) these are $24 black diamonds: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1299&item=7140001064&rd=1

my point is that for hiking purposes you should be able to find a very good pair for under $100 - preferably around $60-80. if you are lucky you'll snag a pr like i did for $32 but that doesn't happen that often and usually when you aren't looking for something.
good luck

I also endorse the AustriAlpin Stubauials. They are light, very packable ten pointers' that can easily adjust from heavy plastic boots to flexible mickey mouse rubber boots. No tools required. Under $90.

I got BD Contact 10 pointers &...

I like them a lot if the snow/ice is deep enough. However when I near the summits where the snow is oftentimes blown off and there are lots of bare rock I wish I had something with just slightly shorter points. I think the Grivel are a tad shorter http://www.summithaus.com/detail.asp?p=70&c=Crampons&cat=5&rootid=2&root=2
or I was looking into these http://www.smcgear.net/products.asp?cat=4&pid=71
the newer (steel version) of these SMC crampons are said to have slightly longer points than the pair pictured... wish I could see them both in "real life"

Capt. Jim

stubai universals and any other aluminum cramps are excellent if they are used mainly on snow/glaciated terrain. however, if you think you will be in areas where rock and other hard surfaces (ice) may be present, steel are still preferable...especially long term as the alu points wear down quickly on rock and ice.

I have heard that Aluminum crampons are recommended for Glacier travel only. I bet rocks will dull them pretty quickly. There's got to be a good reason why Grivel and Black Diamond only make steel crampons.
I would recommend looking at sites like Sierra Trading Post, starting this time of the year. I bought Cassin 10-pointers for $37 in September from STP. I have used them on three 4000 footers this winter and they've never come loose.

there is a pair of stubai 10 pointers for 79.95 with the buy it now option on ebay right now! I have the grivel g10's but I use to have the stubai's and gave them to a friend who did not have any. I never had a problem hiking with the subai's I just got a really great deal on the grivel's which are great too, but for the price I would go with the stubai's! :)

Like everthing, this is subject to "what you plan to do with them".

1st PAIR - Got my first pair off ebay for $20 (plus shipping). These were circa 1970's steel Climb High 8-point trekkers. These were used as non-climbing trekking cleats in Nepal. Built to last and totally bomb-proof. Same as 10-pointers without the 2 lead points. They would work fine in most/many situations I'd use them for. The price was right anyway and they've long since paid for themselves.

2nd PAIR - Austri Alpin CH-10 Crampon - I picked up a pair last September on sale at EMS for $59. These are steel 10 pointers and I picked them up just to have something with the front points. They seem to be descent enough (for the price) and I've used them a few times with no problem.

I have heard a few stories that they tend not to last as long as the more exspensive pairs (duh, go figure). Also, the directions recommend setting the crampons up in "flexable" mode if you're going to use them with flexable soled footwear, which typical hiking/winter boots often have. If not, the torsion that occurs in the crossover plate will likely cause failure over time and repeted use. I've heard of this occuring a few times. I like my pair anyway and have had no problems.

Bottom line........... you get what you pay for. I only get 4-5 opportunities to get to the DAKs in winter (with work and all) so I'm like you in that I don't want to "break the bank" on winter gear, but still want something that will do the trick when I need them too. Both mine seem to fit the bill, and by looking about a bit, I got both pair for under $100 combined.

If you can wait, look when winter is over.

Last edited:
mavs00 said:
2nd PAIR - Austri Alpin CH-10 Crampon - I picked up a pair last September on sale at EMS for $59. These are steel 10 pointers and I picked them up just to have something with the front points. They seem to be descent enough (for the price) and I've used them a few times with no problem.

I have heard a few stories that they tend not to last as long as the more exspensive pairs (duh, go figure). Also, the directions recommend setting the crampons up in "flexable" mode if you're going to use them with flexable soled footwear, which typical hiking/winter boots often have. If not, the torsion that occurs in the crossover plate will likely cause failure over time and repeted use. I've heard of this occuring a few times. I like my pair anyway and have had no problems.

Bottom line........... you get what you pay for. I only get 4-5 opportunities to get to the DAKs in winter (with work and all) so I'm like you in that I don't want to "break the bank" on winter gear, but still want something that will do the trick when I need them too. Both mine seem to fit the bill, and by looking about a bit, I got both pair for under $100 combined.

I have a pair of the CH-10's that I was using for the first time Saturday (2/25/06) up at Blackhead. One of them broke at the bar connecting the front and back sections together. One of the guys I was hiking with, Jerry, had told me that they had a tendency to break there. I'm going to talk with a machinist friend and see about making up new bars out of something stronger, like spring steel.

In the meantime I've ordered a pair of Grivel G-12's (w/Antibott and New Classic bindings from ACME Climbing for $165.95 with a free crampon bag ).

Like you say, you get what you pay for.

Kevin