Afternoon Scramble Whiteface 7-18-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bear

Reaction score
Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
I have been trying to get more one on one hike time in with my daughter Kimberly and Saturday morning's weather in southern NH didn't seem that great. As the weather improved so did our stamina and we decided instead of Washington for Saturday and Franconia Ridge Sunday we would adjust our schedule. Settled on Whiteface for Saturday and hitting Franconia Ridge on Sunday. The scramble would now be to reorganize packs and get to the mountains!

Funny how you always remember the sections of trail that were challenging either in a good way or bad. I recalled long sections of ledges and know they inspire her so that determined our route up Blueberry Ledge. We met a family of four about 1/4 mi. up the trail and the father pointed to a nearby pine tree. "See the two bear cubs climbing up that tree"! Not necessarily the best thing to here with a 5pm start and a fairly new hiker along. The cubs had swung to the further side of the tree out of sight and the fellow had not seen momma or heard her huff so I told Kim we would chat for noise and just walk up the trail. The mother would be on the cubs side of the trail and was not likely to follow us.

We continued on up the trail and the section before the ledges seemed longer than my memory. Time passed well as we talked and paused to a admire some recent trailwork with the rigging cables still in place. At the ledges I looked and the blueberries were not ready yet so I settle for a power bar. Going up scrambles with Kim is alot of fun, she carefully and quickly follows the more challenging line. When we got to the final overlook or view I explained to her tath it was not the true summit and some have mistaken it for an accomplished 4K at that point. We ran across the ridge to the summit cairn and enjoyed her peak #6. When we got back to the ledges it was not yet sundown so we had a quick snack and headed down.

By the time we got to the Cutoff it was dark and I could hear her apprehension. She thought we should take the other trail but it rejoins about where the bears were so not going to make much difference. I told her in the woods the animals can be anywhere on the trails and just relax and we will hike out making noise and having conversation. She did accept one of my hiking poles in case she needed a "weapon" and was sure to tell me how she would apply it to anyone that would bother her. Glad this "Bear" is safe in the woods with her! We got out about ten and were glad to see our vehicles were ok. Ferncroft is a beautiful place and it is too bad to see any trailhead become a target for thieves and vandals. God help them if Kim caught them while carrying my Leki pole! Ouch!

Slideshow:http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/573668064WFWsqi

Last edited: