Airline Travel w/ Camp Stove

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bluethroatedone said:
W..... just to bribe the agent if they object to ...

Something to think about. Of course it wouldn'T happen with anyone HERE, but would you feel safe on a plane with a hiker, if the airlines were NOT careful about checking for potentially flamable material in their bagage?

Like I said, nobody on this board would ever sneak aboard a bottle that was not well cleaned.... well... assuming they're not in a rush... :)

The reasonable fear is flammable vapors. Deal with that by filling up the fuel bottle with something inert, like water, after cleaning it thoroughly. Be prepared to drink it. I have never been challenged using this procedure. The TSA has rummaged through my pack a number of times, and in fact confiscated a lighter once, without disturbing anything else. If you have multiple items of luggage, it's best to put the stove in the one that's not a backpack, just to minimize the chances that they will mess with it.

I also put beverages in fuel bottles - usually caffeinated - in my carry-on bag. Since i frequently go between NA and Europe, jet-lag is a killer and the caffeine boost can be helpful to push though the drone zone. It seems that i frequently spend copious amounts of time on lay-over in airports where such beverages are soooo expensive. It's nice to have my own "stash" with me, "no, just a cup of ice please...." (i am an admitted cheap-skate with stuff like this).

For stoves, I typically plan ahead to buy on-site. Mailing internationally can be very time consuming and 2 weeks to 2 months are "normal". Plus, local stove purchases ensure fuel availability. Would any even remotely quasi-intelligent shop-keeper sell stoves and not sell fuel for them?

mm

MissionsMan said:
I also put beverages in fuel bottles
Don't put acidic drinks in aluminum bottles unless anodized The acid will react with the aluminum.

I have also heard of cases where the bottle was still seized.

I've also read extensive discussion on this topic on rec.backcountry...
You are taking a non-trivial risk carrying a stove. Ship separately or buy at the other end. (You cannot ship fuel--you must buy it on site.)

A new homemade alcohol stove that can be discarded upon return is another good strategy.

Doug

DougPaul said:
(You cannot ship fuel--you must buy it on site.)

I have an MSR Dragonfly stove. What to do with the leftover gas in the can of fuel I must purchase to fill my canisters before the hike, and with any leftover gas in the canisters at the end of the hike?

rhihn said:
I have an MSR Dragonfly stove. What to do with the leftover gas in the can of fuel I must purchase to fill my canisters before the hike, and with any leftover gas in the canisters at the end of the hike?
Pour it into the gas tank of your car or give it to someone else.

Doug

I have taken my whisperlight and fuel bottles on several flights- but always packed away in my "checked" luggage. Make sure that you air these out to ensure that any residue of fuel is gone.

Airlines post restricted items on their websites, so check it out.

rhihn said:
If you happen to be near an REI, they will sometimes take it as a donation. Have done that once or twice at the Reno REI when I was living in the East - they (REI) donated it to local hiking groups for kids. My "donations" were gas cannisters, not liquid fuel.

This is a great thread and really informative. I had a few thoughts.

When the new "sniffers" are installed at all airports, explosives and things like gasoline vapors may be detectable in amounts that are still present even after cleaning and flushing a stove as described above.

Also, never rely on the TSA guidelines. It is up to the air carriers to enforce stricter rules as they find appropriate. The airline employee at the gate will have the final say...and those opinions widely vary.
Even though TSA guidelines say that mandolins and violins can be brought onto a plane, there are horror stories of expensive instruments getting gate-checked by airline gate personnel, and tossed around like duffle bags.

Has anyone ever mailed a stove to themselves care-of a post office near their destination? AT thru hikers do that all the time when sending packages to themselves along the trail.

I would consider mailing ahead anything small and valuable.

I traveled recently, and either TSA or United flat out stole my MP3 player, and left me a nice note saying that they had "confiscated the cigarette lighter from my luggage."

Anything that is valuable, and is small enough to fit in a baggage searchers pocket, I would either mail or carry on.

rhihn said:

My Dragonfly goes with me on trips. It gets aired for several days before getting packed. It goes inside my metal cooking pot. Which is usually inside a pack. WHich is usually inside a duffle.

I don't fly with a fuel bottle. I buy a new one when I buy gas at the destination. Costs... what... $7? Just one more trip incidental.

At the end of the trip, I try to give leftover gas and fuel bottle to another camper. In one case, we gave it to one of the guide services in the area. Another time I left it at AAC's Teton Climber's Ranch (they have a collection of bottles and canisters for needy campers).

I have now decided to purchase either a Pocket Rocket or Northern Lights Ti (for weight/space savings) and mail it ahead to someone I'm going with on the trip. Switching to canister type means I'll then have to purchase the canister when I get there anyway.

When traveling out to the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago, I mailed out my stove and fuel bottles ahead of time to a friend. Then, when we were out of the Canyon, I gave any leftover fuel we had bought to the rangers at the backcountry office (they were very glad to get it to give to other hikers). I then rinsed out the bottles, aired out my stove, repacked it and mailed it back home.

Later that same year, I was travelling to Las Vegas with a chance to drive to Zion and Bryce after the convention I was attending was over. I bought a pocket rocket which I mailed (along with a lantern) to my hotel room in Vegas. Unfortunately, on the way back, I was travelling on Sunday evening so I didn't have a chance to mail my stove and lantern back. I placed them inside my hiking boots, and covered them up with my dirty socks and underwear and placed them in my checked duffle. I was prepared to have both items confiscated, since my bag had been inspected thoroughly on the way out. Didn't happen, and I still have my pocket rocket.

Still think the best way is to mail your stove and fuel bottles to your destination and then just pick up fuel when you get there.

I am flying to Alaska for a few weeks over the summer, I plan to ship as much as possible ahead of time. Luckily I have a friend out in Juneau who we are meeting up with, so that is lucky on my part; having a contact. I am sure though if you are heading to a popular destination, you can send a box ahead to a business/hotel/hostel or even to a PO addressed to yourself and labeled that you will pick it up. Of course, call ahead to make sure. Lots of tips on this on AT websites... Search for tips on things like 'bounce boxes' or mail drops.

As someone mentioned, I will just purchase a new bottle and some fuel once I arrive and dispose of it when I leave. It is just a few bucks I already planned for. I do plan to take along an alcohol stove too, it may be esier to just go buy a bottle of HEET and not have to deal with a fuel bottle and extra fuel. Luckily I get to store stuff at my friend's place so I only need to worry about what I need for what part of the trip I am on.

The best part of shipping your gear ahead of time is that you don't have to worry about unknowledgeable staff at the airport confiscating anything, nor fast fingers lifting anything. Of course shipping could pose some problems, but so does carrying it with you, there is no 100% foolproof system. For me to ship what I need via the PO will cost about $80-100 RT.

It will be nice to travel with a small pack with just clothes and reading material as a carry on and to not have to deal with waiting for luggage. Plus on the flight out I am on a 'milk-run' of sorts, the last thing I need to have happen is wonder in which small Alaskan airport is my stuff.

Catch you later...
Kevin

I usually just clean stove and fuel bottles, and fill fuel bottles with water to eliminate any question of vapor. I have had the TSA folks actually open and rummage through all this stuff and confiscate a lighter in the stove kit (a fair cop) but not touch anything else. If asked, I deny that I have a stove or fuel bottle.

There is a lot of caprice and inconsistency in the application of rules which seem to vary.

Empty fuel bottles (possible vapor issues) are a fair concern. A stove without a fuel chamber, e.g., the whisperlites, is not. Nor is a fuel bottle filled with an inert liquid.

Last edited:
thuja said:
I usually just clean stove and fuel bottles, and fill fuel bottles with water to eliminate any question of vapor. I have had the TSA folks actually open and rummage through all this stuff and confiscate a lighter in the stove kit (a fair cop) but not touch anything else. If asked, I deny that I have a stove or fuel bottle.

There is a lot of caprice and inconsistency in the application of rules which seem to vary.

Empty fuel bottles (possible vapor issues) are a fair concern. A stove without a fuel chamber, e.g., the whisperlites, is not. Nor is a fuel bottle filled with an inert liquid.
Empty stoves can emit fuel vapors--or simply be assumed to emit vapors. From what I have read, bottles with disguising liquids have been confiscated.

The airlines may also be more eager to confiscate than the TSA. I was in a check-in line that wound around a glass kiosk gleefully filled with camping stoves that had been confiscated...

Your chance is best with new, unused stoves and bottles, but the only 100% safe way seems to be ground ship independently or buy new at your destination and ship home or take your chances on bringing it home.

You can probably carry a canister stove, but, of course, no canisters.

BTW, a lighter can be carried on, IIRC. (Dispensation for smokers so they can light up as soon as possible upon landing...)

TSA info can be found at: http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=175.

Doug

Last edited:
Here is a string on basically the same question from the Whitney Portal forum site. The discussion is very similar to what we are reading/posting here.

I haven't taken a trip with my stove but I am planning one (Whitney). I think I will look into mailing it to myself, or look for a place that I can buy a new one when I get to California.

DougPaul said:
BTW, a lighter can be carried on, IIRC. (Dispensation for smokers so they can light up as soon as possible upon landing...)

That used to be the case, but not any more. Shoebombers, and all... :eek:

LIGHTERS

Carry-on Rules

All lighters are prohibited (fueled or without fuel) in carry-on luggage or on your person going through the security checkpoint.

Tim Seaver said:
That used to be the case, but not any more. Shoebombers, and all... :eek:
OK. I thought I remembered that they were outlawed at first then allowed.

Come to think of it, last time I flew out to do some hiking, I removed my lighters...

Doug

Airlines and stoves

I flew up and back from LA to Sacramento on Southwest around Christmas time and they didn't care about the stove as long as the bottle was empty. I washed it out before packing it in my check-in bag and didn't bother to mention it. The website said no stoves at all, but when I called and asked, I was told that was wrong. Just don't bring any fuel-liquid or gas and at least on Southwest, you should be fine.