Algonquin Peak 12.30.10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Hogan

Reaction score
Happy New Year!

I'm looking forward to some epic outdoor adventures in 2011, but couldn't leave 2010 without one last challenge to complete a rewarding and memorable hiking year.

With a promising forecast for Thursday (12/30), I headed up to Lake Placid to enjoy some winter wilderness and my first snowshoe hike of the season. Algonquin Peak (5114') was my choice, but to get there I would have to climb nearly 3000' vertical feet and 8.6 round trip miles. That's not a lot by Adirondack standards, but as seasonal start-up, I would have a worthy challenge.

Adirondack weather sites predicted summit conditions to be manageable with temperatures in the single digits, winds 20 - 30 mph and clear, sunny skies. It turned out to be a spectacular weather day exactly as predicted!

I was slow on the ascent (feeling the effects of lots of layers, a heavy winter pack and an extended layoff), but despite my lack of ascent speed, I remained well within my time parameters for the day, cruised on the descent and ended up finishing in an age-related, respectable round trip time.

The final mile and 1100 vertical feet of climbing (from the Wright Peak Trail junction [4000'] to the summit) was the steepest, most challenging and exciting part of the day. As I stepped out of the relative protection of the trees and above tree line, I was reminded of the unforgiving, impartial elements of nature and completely exposed to the powerful wind and elevation temperatures. Since this was a solo trip, I was acutely aware of my situation and completely immersed in the experience. It was totally exhilarating!

Stopping to rest on the steep, wide-open, upper reaches of the northern approach was no longer a viable option as I quickly felt the penetrating effects of the windchill so I turned my back to the wind as I paused momentarily to catch my breath and slowed my pace to keep from getting too tired. I came prepared with appropriate and trusted multiple layers and face protection so I continued to make upward progress.

The summit was well worth the effort especially on this wonderful, bright, clear day! The views were simply astounding and although I didn't spend a lot of time at the summit, I think I managed to capture the sights from this truly magnificent mountain. The only effect missing is the roar of the wind as you look at some of the photos of a most memorable day!

Enjoy! (Select slideshow then F11 for full screen format)

http://picasaweb.google.com/runswithscissors4111/Algonquin123010?feat=directlink

Last edited: