all around tele skis

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangermatt

Reaction score
does anybody here have any expereince using fischer outtabounds skis, im looking for some boards i can use in the backcountry, tele turns, and still use them on moderate/intermediate terrain at ski areas, looking to set them up with voille tele bindings and scarpa t-4 boots and just wondered if anyboby out there had actually used this combo for backcountry stuff? let me know k

I have a very similar setup: waxable Outtabounds, 3-pins with removable cables, and Garmont Excursions. It's an extremely versatile setup, I've done lots with it this year and it greatly exceeds my old E99s and leather boots. Today I skied Alexandria and Dukes on Cardigan, they've been on a considerable amount of backcountry and very limited lift served.

They are lighter than real tele gear. The boots (T-4s and Excursions) are touring boots, not turning boots. They do turn, and much better than leather boots, but I also have a pair of of Veloces (similar to T-2s) and there is a world of difference. Today they got pushed around by the sloppy snow, but the skis have the ability to turn so I did pretty well.

On lifts they are limited, I wouldn't feel good on them in anything serious but I could do blues without too much trouble. On ice they would probably suck.

It's a good ski, matched with a good boot. I highly recommend the setup for backcountry use.

-dave-

rangermatt- I noticed that the T3's are 10oz. LIGHTER per pair than the T4's??...might be worth a look.

thanks

thanks guys, ill look into the t3s as well, maybe get two pairs of boots one for touring and one for turning, thanx

rangermatt said:
thanks guys, ill look into the t3s as well, maybe get two pairs of boots one for touring and one for turning, thanx
If you plan on spending any serious time at lifts, this is the only way to go. You'll need (at least) two pairs of skis as well, skis that tour well will not handle steep descents, bumps, or ice.

The differences in weights are due to the new liners being used in the bigger boots, called Therma-Fit in Scarpa and G-Fit in Garmont. They are warmer and lighter, but cost a lot. You heat them up in the oven then mold them to your feet for a perfect fit. The T-3 won't tour as nice as the T-4 even if it does weigh less, but it will turn better.

-dave-

thanks

thanks for the advice, i was just trying for maximum versatility, to get the best of both worlds i guess, ill probably go with the first option, since im more into bc stuff than lift served any how.

Matt,

For New England bc, I think the most versatile kind of boot is an Excursion class plastic boot. They are light and soft enough (with thermos) to stride nicely with skinnier skis and will handle skiing mellow lift served. But note, my bias towards bc skiing is definitely towards the lighter, more touring end. I would gladly go camping in the flat Pemi with my Liberos. But not my T1s.

In terms of skis, I really really like skis with a classic a AT profile of 90/70/80. My old Garmont Monashees are my "go to" ski for most woods skiing. I personally find stiffer, more lift oriented skis to be too stiff to allow me to make nice slow-poke turns in the fluff. But note, I ski like your grandmother, only slower. If you like to ski fast and danger in the woods and wear a helmet to keep branches off your noggin, you might go with a much fatter ski.

I can't speak to current crop of Classic AT profile skis based on experience. Rossi has one out and the Karhu Dorado is getting really good reviews. Definitely go with a waxable if you want to push the ski onto lifts as I think man-made snow wrecks no-wax patters pretty fast.

My thoughts on this type of ski, including ideas for used stuff is here:
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/bc-skis.html#AT

My thoughts on skis in general are here:
http://home.comcast.net/~pinnah/DirtbagPinner/bc-skis.html

Lastly, Voile 3-pin cable. Also consider smile plates. See my homepage for links.

Another ski candidate

I have a pair of Fisher S-Bound rebounds matched with a slightly heavier version of the Karhu Catamount boot for powder conditions, or T-3's for nastier stuff. It is probably the most versatle bc ski out there with a double camber for straight ahead speed and 29mm sidecut for great turning. The outtabounds have less sidecut and camber. I think someone around Boston rents these if you want to try them out.