All bumpy roads lead to the Quabbin!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogorchis

Reaction score
My daughter, a friend and I headed off to our favorite Massachusetts hiking area today - the Quabbin Reservoir! Armed with topo maps, warm clothes, etc. we were looking forward to another adventure at a new gate for us - Gate 42. The best laid plans often fizzle out. We found Gate 41 alright, and as we were wandering around by the gate, a guy in a truck asked us where we were going. "Gate 42", I say. He says, "That's a hard one to find"; he drove off quickly! Not to be stopped, we searched diligently for this elusive gate and gave up.

Why not go to Gate 43? So, we next headed down Mellon Road, which quickly deteriorated into a frozen muddy, bumpy, rutted mess, but my daughter drove the trusty Subaru carefully, and we were soon through the mess, finally coming out on Greenwich Road. We started off down Hell Huddle Road and after admiring the old foundations and stone walls along the two-mile road walk, we reached fishing gate #3!

Heading along the shoreline, we dodged the tall grasses and wet marshy places by walking some of the time among the small pine trees. We reached Albertine Cove, stopped in a protected spot and had a quick lunch. We found the old road and headed up to intersect with the road at the base of Pottapaug Hill. The beavers had been busy, and we were amazed to see that the beaver pond was totally frozen over. Near the intersection with the other road, we were amazed to see four cars driving along - who were these folks?

When we arrived back at the fishing gate, we saw this small group of people with spotting scopes and binoculars. You guessed it; they were birders from the Hampshire Birding Club and rather stuffy, too! When asked how they were able to drive in there, we were told that they had a special permit and a key to the gates! I guess that they didn't want to share their turf with three lowly hikers! We headed back to the car to be passed by the birdy folks in their large cars. And after they were gone, we saw a bald eagle riding the thermals - a beautiful sight!

On our way back to Petersham on Route 32A, we looked again for the elusive gate #42, but never did find it. So,if anyone out there knows where it is hidden, we would love to know. Back home and another nice day enjoyed at the quiet wilderness of the Quabbin!:)

Dumb question, but is there a gate 42 in the first place? It's been a really long time since I've been out there but I don't recall seeing a gate 42 on any of the maps.

Yes, there is a Gate 42 shown on the maps, but we sure couldn't find it!:(

"Gate 42", I say. He says, "That's a hard one to find"; he drove off quickly! Not to be stopped, we searched diligently for this elusive gate and gave up.
According to a map in my copy of Michael Tougias' "Quabbin - A History and Explorers Guide", gate 42 is about a mile south of gate 41 on Rt. 32A. It appears to be a dirt road (or less), and according to the vague arrow pointing to it's location, the gate may not be immediately visible from the road. He offers no description as to it's location, at least none that I can find with a quick skim of the book.

As a side note, for those that like to explore the Quabbin area, this book is a must read. The works by J.R. Greene on the subject of Quabbin are also worthwhile, IMHO.

Thanks for the TR of a nice hike in my "backyard".
Smitty

Thanks, Smitty! I have Michael Tougias's book, and I didn't find any description of that trail in his book, either. We have explored Gate 40 a few times, and we thought that we could do an interesting hike at Gate 42, maybe utilizing some of the shoreline. It is always an adventure, because the shoreline always offers interesting obstacles like marshes, pampas grasses, steep areas, but that makes it more fun. We did an interesting trip into Gate 12 a couple of weeks ago. We had been there two years ago. This time we had less shoreline to walk along, so we ended up bushwhacking above the mountain laurel and through lots of brushy areas. Loads of ticks that day, but none today!:D