Allen info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritz

Reaction score
Anyone make the trek to Allen Mtn via the standard route yet? I know the foot bridge crossing Opelescent is reported as out. Is it presently?
Low water rock hopping do-able?

Thnx for the beta
fritz

As of a week ago--

The bridge has been removed. The marked summer water crossing, in a stillwater a few hundred feet below the bridge site, is mostly iced over and not passable. About 100 feet below the bridge site, there is a series of rocks that can be crossed, if water level is low enough. Ice has built up around the rocks, which actually makes them bigger and easier to navigate (testing with hiking poles recommended :D). Crampons or other boot aids (stabilicers, microspikes) might be needed depending on conditions.

That's a good question Fritz, worthy of being bumped to the top in hopes of more recent info.
As opening day approaches, more people will be interested in the state of the ice and rocks below the bridge site.

Allen Beta

I'll let you know sunday. We are heading to allen Fri Am with the hope to cross a frozen stream:):confused:

I bet the stream crossing could be iffy tomorrow, but you should have lots of fresh snow by the looks of the forcast!
Anybody know if that area received the heavy rain the rest of the Northeast got before the snow started?

I did allen in october...No bridge yet...there are rocks to cross but with ice id say it to be hairy...I carried in rubber lacross boots to wade and left them there to re-cross with no issues.. You cant miss the new crossing with ribbon on the tree just before a left hand bend..

hope this helps