Allen, March 5

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pig Pen

Reaction score
I am planning to go with a small group to try for Allen on Saturday March 5th. We will try to start around 7:00 am. I'm not sure how much snow they got around there but it could be a project. Helpers are welcome. Perhaps a quote from Winston Churchill is appropriate:

"I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat"

Phil S.

did you check out my trip report (adk allen) from last weekend? Other than the distance the only strenous part of this trip was the last mile or so. The portion up Allen Brook. The additional snow were getting this week should add to the overall difficulty.

Good luck and enjoy.

Pig Pen said:
I am planning to go with a small group to try for Allen on Saturday March 5th. We will try to start around 7:00 am.

That's quite a late start for Allen in Winter. If your doing it as a day hike, you really need to start by at least 6:00 a.m., preferably 5:00. You aren't leaving yourself any margin for errors for this trip. With the new snow we were just dumped with, it will definitely couple the difficulty to this peak.

I'm all about going to Allen this Saturday. In fact, I was planning on going myself. I've heard Christine B., Alex and friends are planning on doing Allen from the East River Club (they are members) on Saturday. I assume they would be ahead of us and we would intersect their trail after crossing Skylight Brook. So if we could make it to Skylight without getting too lost, we'll have additional help.

You might remember that I hiked with you on Gray, part of a Gray, Marcy, Skylight thing that we did several different ways on 1/29/05. Anyway, I'm mentally psyched although my body is ailing a bit.

I don't mind being a snowplow but I'm most concerned about route finding in that area. Count me in unless some major conflict comes up.

doug

Geezer said:
I'm all about going to Allen this Saturday. In fact, I was planning on going myself. I've heard Christine B., Alex and friends are planning on doing Allen from the East River Club (they are members) on Saturday. I assume they would be ahead of us and we would intersect their trail after crossing Skylight Brook. So if we could make it to Skylight without getting too lost, we'll have additional help.

Oh, now that we know you guys are heading in, we'll be lounging at camp for an extra hour or two, sipping hot cocoa and toasting marshmallows waiting for you to pave the way for us... ;)

If you guys leave at seven (earlier is always better, but last year we left at 7:45 and had no problems) we'll probably bump into you right around Allen brook. However, as for hitting the summit, I'm only there for sledding the slide!!!

Good luck, and see you somewhere out in the wilderness.

Hi Geezer.

It will be nice to spend some time with you this time (Like maybe 13 hours). I will try to finalize our plans by Thursday eve. We are coming over from Vermont. I am going to try to shoot for arrival at the TH by 6:30 but am not sure if we can accomplish that.

Just a thought for anyone considering this: I don't normally use turnaround times. I have two things that I use to decide when to turn around. 1. Reach all of the Summits that I want :) . 2. Decide I'm not having fun anymore :( . Item 1 sometimes results in things like watching the sunset from Santanoni. I don't think this is unusual procedure for peakbagging in the Adirondacks. Item 2 is rare, but happens, usually when it looks like I have no shot at reaching the goal safely. I carry two headlamps.

I'm glad that some warm bodies are emerging for this quest!

Phil S

Doc McPeak

A running start into the slide is way more than I could hope for. Consider me to be your trailbreaking slave if that comes to pass.

Phil S.

Allen Brook

Did I mention that we will be either postholing to the summit or riding a snowmobile?

Christine

PS: Sean don't forget to bring your getto blaster for the ambiance.

Heh Pig Pen,

Don't kill yourself trying to get to the trailhead by 6:30. I thought your 7 AM time was perfect (for me). My earliest start time this season was 6:45; everything else was after 7 but before 7:45. We have more daylight now and I'm becoming more comfortable hiking after dark. I still get a bit antsy when I realize I might not get out in daylight; I've got to learn to relax with it more. Two of 18 hikes this season have ended with the headlamp on.

Besides starting a little later will let the ERC crew to sleep in a little later before they get on the snowmobiles and take them to within 0.1 mile of where we should be crossing Skylight Brook. I'm sure we'll still hear lots of bitching and moaning about breaking the trail from the club house.

Looking forward to hiking with you again.

doug

Hi

I have experienced some peer pressure from some of my hiking partners. We are now planning to leave Burlington Vt. at 4:00am putting us at the trailhead at about 6:00am. So thats a little earlier than I first said. Apologies to those who wanted to sleep in. I hope we will still see you Geezer.

Phil S.

You'll still see me but I don't think I'll start actually hiking before 7 AM. It's just really hard for me to get around that early. I'm not trying to get out of the trail breaking - honest. I did want to help with the work and joy of that. However, I think there will still be opportunity for that as the day goes on. See you Saturday morning.

doug