Allen Mtn Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritz

Reaction score
Heading to Allen the weekend of the 27th. Since this will our first attempt on this trail/path, wondering if we should expect conditions for snow shoes. I know that crampons will be a "given". Thanx for the beta

Can't predict conditions that far in advance, but absolutely bring snowshoes. Could be anything from no snow to 2 feet. Hope for a lot, because the upper part of that path is very slippery. You feel like you need crampons in the summer! Lots of packed snow would be a lot better walking than a thin layer.

If it does snow, it would pay to have a good sized party (like 4). It's a long level slog in to the base of the mountain; you'll want people to take turns breaking tril if there is a lot of snow.

Have fun!

TCD

It's pretty straight forward now. Just don't take the Adams trail on your left after coming to some old buildings. The trail is marked pretty well with signs, and yellow peanut can lids. Watch out for hunters in the woods, and riding Quads on the roads.
Once a few years ago, right around this time of year, I hiked into Lake Colden with no snow on the ground. In the morning, I awoke to 2 feet of fresh powder and it kept snowing for 2 more days. Needless to say, I was glad I brought snowshoes even though there was no snow on the way in. Mike, the caretaker of the Colden outpost at the time, and I had a great few days in the first dumping of the year.
It would have been a long slog out without shoes.

TCD said:
Hope for a lot, because the upper part of that path is very slippery.

I'm told that Allen has the longest butt-slide in the ADKs, a 650' drop, if the conditions are right! That should speed up the trip back!

Dix has 2 pitches in a row that dropped us about 500' in about 2 minutes last spring. As I came to the end of the first pitch, one of the people in our party was hanging upside down from a smal tree, caught on his snow shoe! I didn't ask him how *THAT* happened, but I helped him get unstuck and we continued our slide.

Tom Rankin said:
I'm told that Allen has the longest butt-slide in the ADKs, a 650' drop, if the conditions are right! That should speed up the trip back!

Very true. There needs to be at least 3 feet of snow for the butt slide to be safe though. I did the butt slide on Allen once and lost a lot elevation in a very short period of time. And the views from the slide area are great toward Santanoni.

Absolutely bring crampons as they will be necessary on the climb up Allen in these current conditions, esp on the slide portions of the climb. That is unless so much snow comes in between now and your climb that it makes the ascent safer with snowshoes.

It once took 10 hours one way to Allen in Winter through 2-3 feet of snow, but the "butt slide," down to Allen Falls was quick and fun, which made the trip out "only" 7 hours.

Need to be careful on the butt sliding though, as one Winter with a group of friends climbing Seymour, my friend was sliding down, slammed into a hidden tree and broke his tailbone, taking all of three months to heal.

Ski?

I've not been to Allen so excuse me if this is a stupid question. With 7 miles of relatively flat terrain would this part be conducive to ski in? Again it would probably be great to have a few skiers to share the trail breaking duties. I'm new :rolleyes: to winter hiking ,etc. Trying to get the strategies down. Thanks.

skidoc22 said:
I've not been to Allen so excuse me if this is a stupid question. With 7 miles of relatively flat terrain would this part be conducive to ski in? Again it would probably be great to have a few skiers to share the trail breaking duties. I'm new :rolleyes: to winter hiking ,etc. Trying to get the strategies down. Thanks.

Yes it is doable.