Allen (Oct 1, 2011)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlhoward

Reaction score
Thanks to reports on VFTT I knew that the bridges were down and that we should carry water-shoes. My daughters and I started in our water-shoes and waded across the Hudson. One should cross upstream of the collapsed bridge. Then stay in your water-shoes for the half-mile easy hike to Lake Jimmy and carefully cross the flooded causeway, parts of which are tipsy and unstable. Then put on your boots and follow the occassionally yellow-marked trail to the next crossing, that of the Opelescent River. You'll need to remove your boots here and re-don them on the far side.

The trails are wet and swampy but we managed to keep our feet mostly dry all the way to the summit. The brook crossings were not hard. Irene downed enough trees that some are useful for such crossings.

The climb up the increasingly eroded and exposed slides is extremely slippery and dangerous. Be careful. The climb down is even more tricky. If you plan on doing this climb in one day, be sure to bring light. You're going to need it.

There is a small sign advising of the temporary crossing locale for the Hudson on the return trip and the path is marked with pink ribbon but this is hard to see in the dark. I did not notice similar markings on the west side but they are likely there.

Enjoy.

-Carl

Thanks for posting they trip report and conditions Carl, much appreciated. I hope to hike Allen on Friday or Saturday.

When you guys crossed the Hudson, how deep was the water and how strong was the current?

Thanks, Chris

Allen

Chris,

Provided you cross above (i.e., upstream of) the downed bridge, the water is not deep and the current not strong. As you come down the hill from the parking lot, as the trail bends right, look straight toward the river for signs of the temporary crossing. There is a worn path that people have been using to get in and out of the river. On the far, east, side, look for pink ribbon to guide you to the path to Lake Jimmy.

Keep your water-shoes on and be careful crossing the wooden planks across Lake Jimmy. I don't know how deep it is, but if you fell in it would put a crimp in the rest of your day, for sure.

Crossing the Opelescent is a bit deeper (knee to thigh deep) and the current slightly stronger that the Hudson's in places but nothing to worry about.

If no one in your party has climbed Allen before and you want more pointers on route-finding (it is not easy), and the best way to ascend Allen upon reaching the base, at the falls, let me know.

Also, another climber, who I do not know, is looking for a group to join to climb Allen this weekend. Let me know (or perhaps she'll see this correspondence) if I can put her in touch w/ you.

Good luck,

Carl

Thanks for the info Carl. I should have no problem staying on the trails and herd path, I'm usually good at that stuff but I'm always open to any advice so if you have anymore helpful info please post it if you get a chance.

Thanks, Chris

At moderate water levels, you don't need to wade at the Opalescent crossing, if you are proficient at rock-hopping. Maybe 100 yards beyond the marked crossing point, the old path to the former bridge angles right. After a few feet, go to the river bank and you will see a nice route of high rocks to cross on, which meets the path on the other side.

Allen

Chris,

Allen is one of my favorite climbs in the HIgh Peaks, but if no one in your group has done it, route-finding is definitely a challenge. Even the initial supposedly yellow DEC-marked trail is not well marked. Plus, there are many roads and trails that intersect which you do not want.

Here's a narrative guide:
As noted, wear water-shoes until you are across Lake Jimmy. Follow the road past two old shacks, right and up a small hill, then left at a road. Take this road about 10-15 minutes to a sign pointing left after some blowdown. Pass Lake Sally on your right after another 15-20 minutes or so slogging through a swampy area. Go through a short wooded section and emerge on another road and turn left. Note the markings of the this turn for your return trip as it may be dark (bring light).

Stay on this road past the gate (with The Nature Conservency sign, I believe) and go until you see a cairn on the right side of the road. Turn right and cross the river (you can scout upriver for the rock-hopping route but I don't suggest risking it since you'll have water-shoes w/ you anyway).

Turn left on the far side of the Opelescent and go through a short wooded section and follow the trail through a wet, swampy meadow area and a lovely beaver dam. You'll come to a DEC sign (for Mt Marcy) and a bit beyond is a home-made sign "Allen" pointing right.

Turn right and go through another short wooded section and emerge onto another road. Turn left, go about 100' and turn right into a gravel pit. You'll see a DEC register at the far end of the pit. Register and enter the woods. This path takes you up steadily and is very wet and muddy but easily followed and well marked w/ home-made yellow markers. Take it up about 30 minutes and you'll follow it as it turns right and crosses Twin Brook (easily crossed).

The trail is narrow and traverses a height of land briefly joining a road and bearing left. Careful as you crest the hill to turn left and not step over the branches closing off the more obvious trail that continues straight. Go down the hill and do your best to follow the trail here as it is unclear at best and unmarked (follow your compass heading NNE). After 15-20 minutes you will cross a small stream and then after another 5-10 minutes you will cross a larger brook, Skylight. There is a large tree down that you can use. There is a popular campsite on the far side if you want to camp and do the trip in a more sensible two days.

Go straight through the campsite and try to follow the trial up to the left. The trail now is mostly easily followed except for a few tricky turns. It will take you in 25-30 minutes to the falls and the start of the climb. This is where things get weird.

The trail is obvious for awhile but often spits you out into the slide/stream. Be exttremely cautious on the rocks if they are wet. There are many very slippery places where you have to be on the rocks. Look for cairns but they are few and far between. The guidebook I followed (probably old) warned me away from a herd path on the right side after a gravel slide on the right. But not far after this slide I suggest taking the path up the vegetation on the right side until it again spits you out onto the slide. You then cross the slide where you see a cairn and make your way up the left side of the slide until you see an opening into the vegetation on the left. The final several hundred feet to the summit ridge is best climbed on this trail through the vegetation.

At the ridge the trail turns left and climbs to the summit where there is a sign for "Allen". Piece of cake.

Enjoy and be extra cautious on the descent.

Carl

Hey Carl!

I was meaning to send you a message about the hike. I printed out your directions and had them handy if I needed them but was able to stay on course the whole time without having to reference them. The weather was absolutely perfect so that made the hike much easier and was able to easily spot the arrow signs and cairns at the neccessary turns. I loved the steep and slippery hike up Allen Brook to the ridge and was pleasently surprised on the awesome views from the two outlooks below the summit sign.

The wooden planks at the beginning of the Lake Jimmy crossing were pretty wild, they look like they were trying to float away later in the day. Took about 8 hours to hike it, can't wait to hike Allen again, thanks for you help with what to expect on the trails it was much appreciated!

Thanks, Chris

Last edited: