Allen, Redfield, Cliff – 8/23 & 8/24

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferrisjrf

Reaction score
Hui Yeng and I met at Upper Works pretty late Friday night, and spotted a car there, before heading down to the “Allen trailhead”. We knew we had a little time to kill before Marc and Gillian would arrive, so we spent our time getting hydrated and acting as temporary interpretive guides for the few folks who, apparently attracted by our headlamps, pulled into the lot thinking it was Upper Works. It wasn’t long though, before our partners in crime had arrived, and we were on our way towards Allen, with the help of our headlamps and a few million stars.

Late that night (technically, early Saturday morning), we reached the state land boundary on the Hanging Spear Falls trail, and found ourselves a nice little spot to throw down our sleeping bags, quickly drifting off to sleep under the stars, as the moon traversed the sky above us, acting as a perfect night-light.

Saturday morning brought blue skies, and we were moving pretty early…backtracking the mile back to the Allen herd path, and then cruising over to Skylight Brook. Once the real climbing started, progress slowed somewhat as we slid around a little on the wetter sections. But the views that emerged as we ascended more than made up for any difficulties we encountered. We were up top before noon, engaged in a photograph session (in which someone was caught in a compromising position with an innocent young tree :eek: ), and just generally enjoying the morning.

We coasted back down to our campsite, packed up our overnight gear, and headed on towards Flowed Lands…with a little stop at Hanging Spear to enjoy the scenery and do a little reconnaissance for future Olympic swimming exploits in the area.

When we reached Flowed Lands, we looked around for the best lodging options, and settled on a little piece of real estate that seemed to call us like a siren from afar. We did a little swimming (along with some leech eradication efforts), before beginning a quiet little Happy Hour on our beachfront property. One thing led to another, and before we knew it, we’d eaten dinner and watched a beautiful sunset from the beach…and now we were sitting under the stars, enjoying another cool, clear evening...discussing the intricacies of Malaysian software discounts and other important things.

Sunday morning, after sleeping a little late (just waiting for things to dry out some ;)), we hit the Calamity Brook Trail, headed towards Uphill lean-to. The walk went pretty quickly, and once at the junction, we aimed ourselves towards Redfield. It was a pretty uneventful (but beautiful) climb to the top, punctuated by Hui Yeng wrestling with some spruce on the summit (I think the vegetation won). Then the quick jaunt down to the Cliff turnoff, before we started going up again, working on the short ascent of Cliff…which was more eventful that the Redfield climb, if only due to the pseudo-ledgy fun that is the Cliff herd path.

We had thoughts of going on to Marshall afterwards, but after much deliberation decided we'd rather make the walk back to the car in daylight. So we went back to our own little "Inn at Flowed Lands", loaded up our packs, and...with tears in our eyes...turned our backs on our lovely weekend abode, and began the journey to Upper Works.

This was my first backpack since May, I think, and it was really sweet to get a clear, dry weekend, and to spend it in one of my favorite areas...and the company was OK, too. :D

Jason

This was my first backpack since Baxter a couple of years ago and it was "wicked awesome"! The weather gods were with us the whole trip with narry a cloud in the sky. We were spoilt with THE best lean-to around with our own private beach and beautiful views over the lake and of the surrounding peaks. Jason was an excellent guide patiently putting up with our questions...how many more miles? how much elevation? when is the junction again? ok...ok...so I'm just getting used to the ADKs extra mileage.... :) Even though I have never had more scratches, bruises, cuts and scrapes than on any other hike I have ever done this was the best trip I have been on in a long time!
Huiyeng's right, there is definitely a wilderness feel in the Adirondacks and I'm looking forward to my next trip....

some pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/gillian.gould/ADKsAllenRedfieldCliff

Yeah, there is a wilderness feel to the ADKs you'll never get in the Whites. In my opinion, of course. :D

Nice pictures. Like the snake/toad. Eeek! :eek: Those blue flowers are beautiful aren't they? I forgot the name of them..

I love ADK...

and this is why:
IMG_0357_pan.jpg

Thanks everyone for the wonderful weekend. This really is one of my most memorable trip.

una_dogger said:
Sweet...knocking off all the bitters early... :)
Not me thou.... I better start planning otherwise I may end up finish it on the Sewards... :(

Gillian said:
...Even though I have never had more scratches, bruises, cuts and scrapes than on any other hike...
I guess next time we should try not shave our legs before heading to ADK, the extra "layer" may help protect our skin. :p

Anyway, here are my pictures from the hike and some videos:

Pictures
Marc whacking the bushes
Hanging Spear Falls

Wicked awesome!!

Last edited:
Gillian said:
http://picasaweb.google.com/gillian.gould/ADKsAllenRedfieldCliff
Wow, very nice pics! Makes me want to go back!

Sabrina, how could you call that bitter? Looks pretty sweet to me! :D

Nice trip report. Looks like a great great time with great weather. Nice pics Gillian! The snake eating the toad is my favorite...kinda makes me hungry. GG...did you really carry a sleeping bag? Nice photos as usual hui yeng.

wicked

jealous!
sounds like some good times, nice photos from all.
GG-why didnt you stop the snake from eating that toad?

Gorgeous pictures!!! You really ended up with a nice weekend.

Hui Yeng - I didn't mind the Sewards (although I hiked Seward, Donaldson, and Emmons in the rain)...I really enjoyed the climb and views from Seymour. That wouldn't be a bad peak to finish on. Let me know when you're planning your finish. I would love to join you.

Tom Rankin said:
Sabrina, how could you call that bitter? Looks pretty sweet to me! :D

A wise Peakbgr once told me to make sure I didn't go for all the candy peaks first...so I ended up saving Cliff and Redfield for next to last... :D guess I am hard of hearing, eh?

I did the same thing...left Gray, Cliff, Redfield and Santanoni's for the end. If I were to do it again - I would leave Street for last. I just love the rocky outcrop that overlooks the MacIntyre Range.

Adventurous said:
Gorgeous pictures!!! You really ended up with a nice weekend.

Hui Yeng - I didn't mind the Sewards (although I hiked Seward, Donaldson, and Emmons in the rain)...I really enjoyed the climb and views from Seymour. That wouldn't be a bad peak to finish on. Let me know when you're planning your finish. I would love to join you.

Seymour is definitely a new favorite for me...I thought the views from Colvin were nice but that little ledge just before the summit on Seymour is amazing.

Last edited:
Awesome pics guys!...especially the ones from our beach. Marshall, Shepard's Tooth, Iroquois, Boundary, Algonquin, Avalanche, Colden...all in the background...with the water and meadows of Flowed Lands in the foreground...simply awesome...although it's making sitting here in front of my computer even less appealing than it already was. Is it Friday yet?

Gillian said:
...I have never had more scratches, bruises, cuts and scrapes...this was the best trip I have been on in a long time!

If it's blood and bruises you're looking for Gillian, I've got a whole list of Adirondack hikes for ya! :cool:

Adventurous said:
Hui Yeng...I really enjoyed the climb and views from Seymour. That wouldn't be a bad peak to finish on.

I think Seymour will be competing with a Haystack/Basin loop for the finish. Nothing against Seymour, but y'all can probably guess where my vote would fall.

Jason

mookie said:
jealous!
GG-why didnt you stop the snake from eating that toad?
Oh yeah, me and the snake had a wrestling match .... but it won in the end :p Unfortunately, I didn't succeed in rescuing the unlucky tortured leeches from Big Foot either......!! :D
ferrisjrf said:
If it's blood and bruises you're looking for Gillian, I've got a whole list of Adirondack hikes for ya! :cool:
Jason

Count me in .. with my hockey gear!.....or maybe I'll just go with Huiyeng's idea.... :p
7summits said:
I guess next time we should try not shave our legs before heading to ADK, the extra "layer" may help protect our skin. :p

Last edited: