Allen

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlhoward

Reaction score
Is the road in toward Tahowus open?
Has anyone hiked in to and climbed Allen recently?
I'm planning a climb soon.
Thanks.

-Carl, 4258W

My understanding is that the road is open, but the Hudson River bridge was damaged, and the Opalescent River bridge is out. Be prepared for some wading.

According to the DEC, the Opalescent River Trail is open, but has not yet been cleared entirely of blowdown.

My understanding is that the road is open, but the Hudson River bridge was damaged, and the Opalescent River bridge is out. Be prepared for some wading.

According to the DEC, the Opalescent River Trail is open, but has not yet been cleared entirely of blowdown.
I was there a few weeks ago, and the road was passable (1 lane in a few places), and the bridge over the Hudson is so badly damaged you can not use it. Wading the River was trivial. Just bring water shoes and change once you get across.

We did Allen on 9/17.We had to wade to 2 big crossings on the way in. On the way out it felt good to walk right through. There seemed to be more blow down than the last time in (winter) and the top of the slide was a little tricky.
There are places where the trail was a little tricky to find but do-able.

...Wading the River was trivial. Just bring water shoes and change once you get across.

I was with Tom that day, just after Irene hit. I would add that if they're getting the heavy rain the up north this week, both rivers could be a bit tougher to cross in the short term. (I guess it depends on when you plan to go.)

...the walkway on Lake Jimmy is not great either...
I wonder if there has been recent trouble with the walkway? Labor Day weekend (post-Irene) it was no problem at all.

Thanks for the replies.

Has the State finalized its acquisition of the property along the approach to Allen? Has the route to Allen changed in the last year or so? Might we be able to park sooner, at/near the old "strip mine"? Might a new trail go straight up the South Branch to Skylight Brook?

When we crossed Jimmy, the planks were in place and when we crossed they sagged under the water a tiny bit in 2 places. No problem.

I was with Tom that day, just after Irene hit. I would add that if they're getting the heavy rain the up north this week, both rivers could be a bit tougher to cross in the short term. (I guess it depends on when you plan to go.)

It absolutely poured on us yesterday in Saranac Lake. Lots and lots of rain.