Allen

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailcloud

Reaction score
Hi All First time posting----long time lurker!!! I first want to thank everyone for all their posts because it has helped myself and my hiking buddy to get very close to becoming a 46 er. We now have just Allen and Whiteface to do. Our plan is to do Allen in mid May and fiinish up with family and friends on Whiteface in July. Has anyone done Allen in mid May before ? I know it's too far off to predict conditions but what's a typical May like for Allen.
Thanks,
TC

I would try late May depending on warmth of spring. Less chance of snow and ice. My luck the three years of hiking in Maywere not good, snow and ice til almost late May in higher areas.

hiker13901

Watch the conditions, and try to catch "secret season," that short little season after the snow and ice and mud, but before the leaves and the bugs.

How much of a secret season there is depends on the speed of the melt. Sometimes, it doesn't exist at all; the mud and snow stay right into Memorial day and the bugs are out too! Other years, if there's a hot dry spring, the trails are in great for a couple weeks in mid may.

For Allen, mud can be an issue on the long approach walk. (Also, the Allen Brook herd path features a brown lichen on the rocks which is as slippery as motor oil. Watch out for it. Summer hikers invariably take a fall or two on that stuff.)

Allen Conditions

Should be wet and muddy lower down and maybe some snow on top.

Seems like an outrageous suggestion- but take snow shoes, the smallest you can lay hands on.

Good hiking!

Thanks for the input. We've decided to head up to Allen April 16th instead. I'm a little concerned about that in between season of May (between winter like and spring like). I'm thinking it is better to go when it is more winter like which would be April. We'll let you know how we made out.
TC