AMC 4000 Footers Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtNap

Reaction score
After 4 months of wondering what was going on, they finally cashed my menial check the other day, and I received my little patch and pamphlet. I'm not much of a boasting person, but it really felt cool to be recognized for something that as we all know requires a good degree of time, effort, and energy.

So I'm glad to finally be able to go to this banquet.

I was just wondering...Would it be wise to purchase a shirt there, and perhaps, somehow request that they hold a size SMALL, if there were a way to do that.

Or is it safe to just respond with the paper I received with my pamphlet?

Will that also take 4 months? And I'm not complaining whatosever, I know its all volunteer work and its awesome for what they've put together.

BUT I WANNA SHIRT FOR CHRISTMAS!!!!! just kidding. But is it just safer to wait til the event.

Im really looking forward to meeting so many people, and to get my hands on the coveted scroll.

Also, do they give you little name tags there, as some events do? so we may recognize each other by trail name if we dont know each other by face? could be cool.

Thanks in advance...

Right on. I had heard that The Mountain Wanderer had it. The times I've made it in, I refused to buy it until I had out right finished the list. That and, a usual 2 hour commute to get to the whites, I pass by Lincoln before hes open, and he closes up shop while I am still on the mountain. And as a final kicker, 2 times that I've made it there during normal operational hours, he was closed. Ive heard he has 1 random day of the week that he closes, and I lucked out both times.

And thank you on the congratulations. Still have the 100 highest on my horizons.

Thanks for the info though, appreciate it.

I think it is perfectly OK to wear the shirt w/o finishing the list. The patch, not so much. The shirt helps cover the FTFC expenses, trail maintenance, etc.

Tim

Agreed. The shirt is a shirt, the patch is an achievement award.

While in Colorado I bought a Colorado 14ers t-shirt after doing a very few peaks. On the other hand, I bough my Mt. Whitney t-shirt on my way down from the summit!

So I'm glad to finally be able to go to this banquet.
Anybody can go to the banquet You don't need to be receiving a diploma.

BUT I WANNA SHIRT FOR CHRISTMAS!!!!! just kidding. But is it just safer to wait til the event.
Hey! What difference does it make which Christams? You could have worn it last Christmas. Merry Christmas whatever you wear ... and congratulations!

Agreed. The shirt is a shirt, the patch is an achievement award.

While in Colorado I bought a Colorado 14ers t-shirt after doing a very few peaks. On the other hand, I bough my Mt. Whitney t-shirt on my way down from the summit!

Just an FYI, I am an official memeber of the 14er auxillary police squad and I better not catch you wearing that 14er shirt anywhere unless you have the proper documentation, proving you have officially ascended ALL of the 14ers in CO.:eek:

Even though just anyone can go out and buy the shirt, I still look at it as something that I earned. And even had I done 47, I would know that just one of those listed on my back has yet to be completed. So I figured I'd wait it out.

I almost bought one a year ago while only halfway done the list, thinking "hey, its available, right" but I think its more bittersweet, or whatever you'd call it, waiting until the list has been completed, even though its just going in to a public book store and paying for a shirt thats available to the general public.

I say they start charging 5 dollars for the patch, and make it 2" X 3" instead of 1" X 2".

And randomly, I wouldn't need one, but since im 2/3s done the list a second time, do people keep reapplying and re-receiving the same patch to commemorate each completed round?

I say they start charging 5 dollars for the patch, and make it 2" X 3" instead of 1" X 2".

And randomly, I wouldn't need one, but since im 2/3s done the list a second time, do people keep reapplying and re-receiving the same patch to commemorate each completed round?

Big patches take up too much room on your pack. Gotta save some space for the VFTT patch, the NE67 patch, the NEHH patch, and then the winter versions of each ;)

The AMC FTFC does not recognize rounds 2-n, only "any" and "winter" seasons.

Tim

Ah true. I guess with just 2 patches on my bag thus far, I haven't really thought about the issue of overcrowding :)

And that makes sense. I figured the AMC wouldn't officially recongnize it being done over and over, but I didn't know if some people chose to reapply, and just collect the patches as a keepsake for their accomplishments. Certainly wouldn't need to fill a vest or bag with 12 of the same patches, (or maybe ya would) but I wouldn't be against getting the same patch a second time. Just because ya do it once, doesn't make doing them a second time too much easier, aside from perhaps knowing a couple shortcuts and knowing what to expect in terms of exposure and whatnot that the trails have. So I think it would be fitting to be allowed to get a patch every time.

That being said. I live a little ways away, and can only go when my 2 jobs give me a day off, so it takes me 2 years to get the list completed, so the last few peaks are met with great anticipation. If I were one of the lucky few who are out there many days a week, and essentially can finish the list in 2 months, I'd expect its not nearly as much of a big deal to them.

Ah well, thanks for all your answers to my ranting questions :)

You can buy as many patches as you want, you don’t have to apply for them after the first time. So you’re free to commemorate each completed round with another patch, if you’d like.

I think I like the design of the (New England) Hundred-Highest patch best: just a 100 with spruce sprigs on either side of it.

Haha Tom. Perhaps she should apply those all to a cape, because she is apparently a superhuman hiking machine.

All kidding aside, that is awesome.

And I lucked out. Prior to a late start on Lafayette today, I finally got to take a look in The Mountain Reader (of which I could spend a month reading, or half my years income collecting books) and I got to grab myself that matching T-Shirt after all.

Rather fitting. The place just so happened to never be open. But I got my patch a couple days ago, and the store was finally open for me. Not to mention, they only had 1 Small left. That, and with no clouds on Lafayette, I'm having a lucky week:)