AMC Awards for dogs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyPuck

Reaction score
The AMC gives a 48 patch & scroll to any dog completing the "list". I understand that the AMC will not award a dog a 67 or 100 patch & scroll due to the fact that dogs are not allowed in Baxter State park.

Anyway, why not award a dog a 48, 64, and 94 patch & scroll for completing all the hikes they are allowed?

I'm not trying to start an heated argument about forcing dogs to hike or pushing them beyond limits. I also know that dogs could care less about a patch & scroll (they've got no clothes to sew it to and can't read).

Toby (in avitar) "absolutely loves" to hike with me and happens to be close to reaching his 64. It would make me proud to hang his awards on the wall next to mine.

Has anyone else wondered the same thing?

Brutus wears his in a baggage tag which is slipped to his collar.

Last edited:
Mine had no idea how many she did. For her, it was just a series of long walks in the woods. She has the same patch I have....none. We both know the truth, and are friends know the truth. It's always been good enough for us.

Honeypuck....I think that is a great idea. Have you asked the AMC about it?
Make sure you speak to a dog lover if you do.
Perhaps we could start a dog award program on VFTT if Darren would allow it. Nothing is impossible.

Hey Maddy

I am planning on contacting the AMC via a kind written letter but wanted to get feedback on the idea from other hikers with dogs. What better place than VFTT!!

I agree with Dug here. I do not apply for patches or recognition for either myself or my dog.

Not meaning to offend super-dogs like Brutus, I disagree with this type of recognition for canines.

It's one thing for us, humans, to choose to set and achieve a goal; then to apply to receive recognition for having achieved the goal. Humans can make these choices, canines cannot.

With that said, I think it is wonderful that a very select group of dogs can achieve these goals. However, since these dogs are not making a conscious decision to achieve these goals, I think that an award for their achievement is meaningless.

Sorry, Dugan - I don't think the patch is meaningless, either. If one applied that same logic, then much of your dog's life would be meaningless also.

Some of the best times I've had were hikes because a friend's dog "needed" a certain peak. That fun and good spirits enriches a dog's life as much as it does ours, and the exercise contributes to its well being. I don't separate the patch from the endeavor.

Let's be real...the dog doesn't need the peak. You really think Brutus is sitting on top of Liberty, looking over at South Kinsman and thinking "I need to get that one"? Come on...that's just silly.

I cherished each and every hike I took my dog on, and her life was in no way shape or form meaningless. But I can tell you, she had just as much fun on a long 10-mile hike in the woods as she did on our special mountain that we went to once a month as she did on any 4k peak. Spending time with their master is the fun, not standing on some peak. Let's not over-estimate the intelligence of dogs (and this is coming from someone who loves his dog as much as his own child).

If you want to get a patch, go ahead, but to think that your dog's life is anymore meaningful because he climbed on top of a peak is frankly what goes to the core of what's wrong with peak bagging in general.

The journey IS the destination.

A good friend and AT Hiker of mine Mala has a dog that has hiked Katahdin. Mala is a war vet and his black lab, Tucker, is a service dog. Tucker is about the easiest going dog you have ever met, and that is his job. We effectionatly call him "The Stress Puppy". Mala doesn't go anywhere with Tucker, and because he is a certified service dog, he doesn't have to. So if you ever see a photo of some crazy old dude wearing tie-died with a black lab at the summit of Katahdin, don't go off on people not obeying the rules. Its just Tucker doing his job.

I agree that the dog (and some people) could care less about the patch & scroll.. They aren't the purpose of my hiking but a reward..

I'm proud of my dog for his accomplishment. He just got an A+ and I'd like to put his award on the fridge!!

Kevin Rooney said:
I give up, dug. You just don't get it.

Perhaps you could start a new thread and tell us all what's wrong with peakbagging at its core? ;) ;)

be nice, Kevin. Being vocal and getting publicity do not make you the only person that knows anything about dogs.

the fundamental reason this argument won't be resolved is b/c every dog owner interprets the thoughts of his/her dog they way he/she wants - which has approximately nothing to do with what the dog probably thinks.

I think it's kind of cute for a dog to get a patch but I also think people that say they concquered the mountains and make a huge deal of patches are idiots.

I have a patch, but it doesn't define who I am.

spencer

You're right, spencer. I deleted my post. Not my intention to create negative karma.

Reactions: dug
I'm "for" our four-legged friends having congratulatory patches. While it's true in one sense that none of us "need" patches, I believe that it is a natural desire to know and acknowledge what we and our friends have done and celebrate those accomplishments in one way or another. Some people hang their college diplomas on their walls, others do not. Some people display flags to show their patriotism, others don't feel they need to. Some people take group pictures or shake hands at the top of each summit, others do not. There are traditions in all cultures for births, deaths, marriages, etc. Honoring something we do, such as hiking, really isn't any different for many, in that sense. I have a few patches, but mostly, for me, they are a form of conversation starter, not to brag. Have I hiked the 4,000 footers? Well, yes, but I don't have a patch for each number of times, nor do I know. For many of us, dogs are among our best friends and how we want to enhance the relationship by expressing words or thoughts that may or may not be their's is irrelevant, really. I've met some great dogs along the trail, and greatly enjoyed the company of my own over the years. I know my old dog Moriah didn't like the wind in her face on Clinton, but I remember my not liking every part of every hike I've done. Go for the patch!

Last edited:
This is another one of those personal values which causes problems when some try to hold others to their values. However, this in reality has nothing to do with a dog's value system. Isn't awarding a dog a patch really rewarding the owner for a "canine accomplishment"? For some it could be a significant goal in their relationship with their pet. Some people value the public recognition of a club patch, others would just cherish the memories of companionship.

Getting a dog safely up a list of peaks is more work and dedication than I would commit to, even being the dog owner and lover that I am. For those who have done it, Kudos! You deserve to be proud.

Tony

Last edited:
I'm hoping to do the Catskill 3500, Catskill3500W, and Catskill HH with my young Lab. She doesn't have a clue about peakbagging(some might say the same about me ;) ), but she loves to be out in the mountains.
What I do want, though, are the memories of hiking with her over those mountains when the all-too-short dog lifespan make's her too old and can't do them any longer.
It would certainly be nice, down the years, to look up and see her name on the certificate, and bring back all those memories.
For me, it has nothing to do with her getting her a patch, and everything about the fun of the process.

HockeyPuck said:
I agree that the dog (and some people) could care less about the patch & scroll.. They aren't the purpose of my hiking but a reward..

I'm proud of my dog for his accomplishment.

I also agree that my dog could care less about her patch, I'm the one who is proud of her accomplishments and I'm the one who put the patch on her coat. She wants to come only for the hike and not the awards. I only hope that someday I accomplish what she did.
OMW

I agree with everyone who thinks:

a) It is an accomplishment.
b) The recognition is for something YOU have done with your dog.

It is something to be proud of, and if you want a patch to show it...great. I have little momentos that show my accomplishments with my dog. Just don't tell me how meaningless my dog is because she didn't get a patch.

I don't want this to turn into an AMC/Peakbagging thing. I apologize for starting it down that path...not my intent.

And for Chomp, a very good friend of mine did the AT a few years back with his dog. He could not get into Baxter, so he turned around and didn't complete the last five+ miles without his best friend. After the dog passed, he completed the hike and spread his ashed on the summit. Some fellow thru-hikers were with him...that is all the recognition he needed.

Last edited:
As someone who is 1) goal oriented 2)believes that working dogs need to be worked I think it's fun to celebrate our canine's achievements. Hiking with your dog adds challenges and fun. And while the dog may not care it can encourage the owner to go through the list all over again "for the dog's sake."

Just think of all the other achievements and titles which can be bestowed on purebred dogs, champion, sled dog excellent, utility dog. These are titles that can make an owner beam when they talk about it. Before I lost her I was working my female siberian towards her Working Pack Dog Certificate. All she cared about was being outside with me, and we spent a lot of time training. Not all breeds (and mutts) qualify for official recognition of work title.

I agree with the idea of the dog getting a patch if it will make his or her owner beam with pride every time someone asks about the patch on the canine's pack... even if the dog is only aware that they got to spend tons of time with their owner.

Perhaps some motivated individual could start his or her own patch program for the pooches.

Status
Not open for further replies.