AMC Awards for dogs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love dogs, but since a dog can't make the decision to hike or climb a specific peak, and of course the recognition means nothing to it, there should be no dog patch. The owners can get their own if it means that much.

I'm in agreement with the Adirondack 46ers decision to discontinue recognition of dogs reaching the peaks of the "46", and likewise would agree with the AMC if a similar decision is made for the rest of moutains in the NE.

When did outdoors activities become so serious? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I mean, this is hiking... walking up to peaks. It take a lot of time and effort but it's available for anyone in reasonable shape to do. To be so judgemental, in my opinion, is ridiculous. What if I take my mentally retarded unkle hiking the 48 or a 5 year old kid. I don't think they have the mental powers to quite grasp the concept of a 'list' except they might like hiking. I realize dogs aren't the same as a person but still -- why are we so fussy about giving a dog a damn patch?

FWIW, I could, with only minimal computer savy, lie about doing any numer of peaks and get a patch. I think it's amazing though that people are so jealously guarded about their accomplishment in hiking the 46 or 48 that they can't allow some poor guy's dog to get a patch. Lighten up, people! It's not like anyone is saying, "hey I've hiked the 48 with this pile of moose droppings in a plastic bag, can I get it a patch??"

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
It's more about protecting an animal from an overzealous owner's goals than about denying it anything.

To me, giving a patch is not like certifying someone to practice heart surgery. It celebrates someones personal accomplishment & whatever that means to them. Most dog owners treat their dogs pretty durn good. I know some don't but some people would drag their underprepared spouse or 14 year old kid out into an unsafe situation hiking as well, and there's no limit or test to check ones knowledge of hiking to get a patch, just if you've done it or not. Anyone can be overzealous and perhaps a dog is better off than an underprepared human even?

Like I said, it's a patch... who cares. If it makes a dog owner happy, give it to them. If they want to pass on it, well then it's their business. Doesn't this take the fun out of it if you're putting so many limits on these things that are just supposed to be fun?

-Dr. Wu

AlG said:
It's more about protecting an animal from an overzealous owner's goals than about denying it anything.

I hate to throw more wood into this discussion, but how about sled dogs, or hunting dogs. Should those sports be banned because overzealous owners have caused injuries to their dogs in the past. Dogs are currently admitted to the regular FTFC, I don't see why suddenly there would be more problems than currently occuring if special canine patches were made to accomodate the fact that dogs aren't allowed in Baxter State Park.

People will take their dogs hiking patch or no patch, as they will continue to check off peaks on the list for their dog. Perhaps a seperate canine recognition club could try to protect in it's by-laws the welfare of the animals (such as avoiding routes, or even peaks which may not be dog friendly).

hockeycrew said:
Just think of all the other achievements and titles which can be bestowed on purebred dogs, champion, sled dog excellent, utility dog.

Mea culpa.

This isn't even half of the awards available out there in the purebred dog world. This doesn't even mention the honorable achievements by all the working dogs out there, like Search and Rescue Dogs and Service dogs.

None of these dogs would consciously choose to be active in those sports/careers either, and yet I don't have an objection to that category of awards. Once I thought about it, I realized that my objection based on the dog being unable to choose to complete a list didn't make sense. To differentiate between a ribbon in the show ring and a patch for hiking now seems pretty silly.

Thanks Hockeycrew!

Hi, non dog owner here...

I have been watching this thread and all its pleasant entries, especially from people I know and respect well, like Joe D, Audrey & Dugan. The bottom line appears to be a debate on whether or not there should be a dog patch with the main issue being the dog not making a willful thought out decision to pursue such accomplishment. Both sides of the arguement have merit. This would be a great ballot question both here and in the next appropriate AMC venue.

Funny, when I see the headings of a thread like this I think, "that's effing nuts!" Then I actually read the whole thing through and realize I agree with most of what everybody has to say. Pros AND cons.
Here's my solution: If you think your dog should have a patch then YOU give him one.

Interesting thread....
I'm not sure my dog will ever earn an 'official' patch--though she does join me on most hikes--but I would present her with one if she did... I agree that rewarding a dog with a patch is mainly for the benefit of its human, but I think it is done out of love, respect and admiration for an incomparable companion...My dog Carmen doesn't know August 5 is her birthday but I know she enjoys the slab of roast beef at dinner and a trip out for a vanilla doggie sundae afterwards...

It's the thought that counts...
...Jade

i'm with wu on this one. and at the risk of getting red squared to death, i absolutely can't stand dogs on the trails. there--i said it. cause ya know what? you think your dog is cute and cool and all, but he's generally not. to me anyway. and other folks feel the same 'cept they just are too scared to say so for fear all the doglovers will go crazy and get mad and call them soulless or a hater or something. but when dogs come up and lick ol' bruno,well, i just hate that. it's unsanitary. and no matter what you say, their feces are around and stink. and there are studies to show that they stress out the other animals in the woods who belong there.

in my opinion--and this is an OPINION, ok?--i wish you'd leave your dogs at home where they belong.

thanks! :)

There are also studies, Bruno, that show animals in the wild are afraid of humans, but not snowmobiles, because humans hunt them but snowmobiles are just noisy. But that's another whole hot area, isn't it.

dr_wu002 said:
When did outdoors activities become so serious? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I mean, this is hiking... walking up to peaks. It take a lot of time and effort but it's available for anyone in reasonable shape to do. To be so judgemental, in my opinion, is ridiculous. What if I take my mentally retarded unkle hiking the 48 or a 5 year old kid. I don't think they have the mental powers to quite grasp the concept of a 'list' except they might like hiking. I realize dogs aren't the same as a person but still -- why are we so fussy about giving a dog a damn patch?

FWIW, I could, with only minimal computer savy, lie about doing any numer of peaks and get a patch. I think it's amazing though that people are so jealously guarded about their accomplishment in hiking the 46 or 48 that they can't allow some poor guy's dog to get a patch. Lighten up, people! It's not like anyone is saying, "hey I've hiked the 48 with this pile of moose droppings in a plastic bag, can I get it a patch??"

-Dr. Wu

man - did you hit the nail on the head here - I will sum it up again - who cares. go out, have fun - bring the dog, bring the kids, bring a corpse, blow up doll, whatever you want - do what you want - hike the 48, hike only the 5k'ers, Bushwhack, paddy-whack, give the dog a bone - do what whatever it is that gets your blood pumping -

just have some fun

Last edited:
bruno said:
i'm with wu on this one. and at the risk of getting red squared to death, i absolutely can't stand dogs on the trails. there--i said it. cause ya know what? you think your dog is cute and cool and all, but he's generally not. to me anyway. and other folks feel the same 'cept they just are too scared to say so for fear all the doglovers will go crazy and get mad and call them soulless or a hater or something. but when dogs come up and lick ol' bruno,well, i just hate that. it's unsanitary. and no matter what you say, their feces are around and stink. and there are studies to show that they stress out the other animals in the woods who belong there.

in my opinion--and this is an OPINION, ok?--i wish you'd leave your dogs at home where they belong.

Don't sweat it, bruno, we still luv yeah! You're entitled to your opionion. Some of us get really cranked when trail runners come busting along HIKING trails, acting like we should pay homage because they're RUNNING!

It's what multi-use is all about.

just a quick addendum--i do like some dogs! even some little ones! :) :eek:

i just like 'em in town! :)

and kevin--the trail-runner crack has hurt me deeply! :D :) :D :)

Last edited:
giggy said:
man - did you hit the nail on the head here - I will sum it up again - who cares. go out, have fun - bring the dog, bring the kids, bring a corpse, blow up doll, whatever you want - do what you want - hike the 48, hike only the 5k'ers, Bushwhack, paddy-whack, give the dog a bone - do what whatever it is that gets your blood pumping -

just have some fun
:D :D :D

But if I hike a steep trail with my blow up doll can I still call it a solo climb ?

More Walkie, Less Talkie.

Chip said:
:D :D :D

But if I hike a steep trail with my blow up doll can I still call it a solo climb ?

More Walkie, Less Talkie.

if it is inflated, no, it was not a solo hike.
if carried deflated in your pack, yes, it was a solo hike.
c'mon Chip, this is all covered in Freedom of the Hills :)

ok, seriously though, dogs have mostly been a non issue with me except at guyot shelter. i have been there 3 times and have to deal with someone with a dog that wouldn't stop sniffing my food or just being a general nuisance and i felt as though it wasn't my responsibility to keep shooshing the dog away. what is it with that spot?!?!?!

i think the last time i told the owner to tie up the dog or leave or something, whatever it takes to control the dog and keep it outta my personal space. my problem the first two times was def a matter of being unsure of ethics and not wanting to make a scene.

how have other people handled this problem as both the person being harassed by the dog as well as the owner being asked to excerise better control over their dog?

HockeyPuck said:
The AMC gives a 48 patch & scroll to any dog completing the "list". I understand that the AMC will not award a dog a 67 or 100 patch & scroll due to the fact that dogs are not allowed in Baxter State park.

Anyway, why not award a dog a 48, 64, and 94 patch & scroll for completing all the hikes they are allowed?

I'm not trying to start an heated argument about forcing dogs to hike or pushing them beyond limits. I also know that dogs could care less about a patch & scroll (they've got no clothes to sew it to and can't read).

Toby (in avitar) "absolutely loves" to hike with me and happens to be close to reaching his 64. It would make me proud to hang his awards on the wall next to mine.

Has anyone else wondered the same thing?

I was there last year with both my dogs and they did award some dogs for doing the 67 minus the dog prohibited mountains. I think they will do it if the owner asks. I don't think they want to get into doing it on a permanent basis, but they will award the patches and scrolls "unofficially" if asked.

bruno said:

Bruno,

I appreciate the feedback and just because your opinion differs from mine it dosen't mean it's wrong. :) You (and Dr Wu) must be cat lovers. :) **notice the smily faces**

I'm just curious at to if other hikers with dogs had the same thoughts as me..

Absolutely the same thoughts, and I told Bruno so off-line. This is what makes America great. Differing opinions can say so without being hung in effigy or burned at the stake.

Being respectful of others when hiking with dogs should be the first thing we think about. Where they are, what noise they are making, who they are licking, and whose lunch they are sniffing are all thoughts that we should have at all times.

But, this is probably the wrong thread for this since it's about getting Rover "patched".

Status
Not open for further replies.