AMC Crawford Notch Christmas Bird Count 2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puck

Reaction score
Save the date.

The fourth annual Audubon Christams Bird Count hosted by the AMC is Dec 20th. Late enough for a better chance of winter weather and early enough to get in shape for the winter peak bagging season.

More info forthcoming.

Craig

Do you mean Crawford Path to Mt Pierce? Let me check with the guy who has placed lifetime dibbs on that route for the CBC. He is always very happy to go up with other participants. (He has made over 100 winter trips up that path for a long term research project.) I think he is the best birder/naturalist in the area.

Thanks for posting this reminder. I'm happy to ski in along the Zealand Rd as I did last year, but I am also equipped and able to go up high if needed.

Should I formally register somewhere or does this post do it?

-vegematic

vegematic said:
Thanks for posting this reminder. I'm happy to ski in along the Zealand Rd as I did last year, but I am also equipped and able to go up high if needed.

Should I formally register somewhere or does this post do it?

-vegematic

Great! Consider yourself formally registered. Zealand Road is a key area. Glad you can do it again this year.

Puck said:
Do you mean Crawford Path to Mt Pierce? Let me check with the guy who has placed lifetime dibbs on that route for the CBC. He is always very happy to go up with other participants. (He has made over 100 winter trips up that path for a long term research project.) I think he is the best birder/naturalist in the area.
Puck, we just did Pierce, so we can do something else for the bird count if need be.

Tom Rankin said:
Puck, we just did Pierce, so we can do something else for the bird count if need be.

One area that is important (last year we didn't have coverage) is AZ Trail. Tom, Field maybe Willey. The trail has some areas with abundant Mt Ash if there is fruit that late, there could be robins, Waxwings (cedar and Bohemians) and lot of others. The cul between Tom and Field has BlackBacked woodepeckers, gray jays boreal chickadees.

Often times we have had casual participants cover Willard.

Two years ago Chip covered this area and had some great birds.

Puck said:
One area that is important (last year we didn't have coverage) is AZ Trail. Tom, Field maybe Willey. The trail has some areas with abundant Mt Ash if there is fruit that late, there could be robins, Waxwings (cedar and Bohemians) and lot of others. The cul between Tom and Field has BlackBacked woodepeckers, gray jays boreal chickadees.

Often times we have had casual participants cover Willard.

Two years ago Chip covered this area and had some great birds.
Yeah, that would be fine. Maybe I can drag my son along! :D

One more thing.

Last year one of the particpants, also one of the key planners for the event, who is a Ranger retired from the Forest Service comment on the high caliber of the group. Safety is a huge concern. Having people who have a ton of experience hiking in winter conditions with the proper gear, clothing and equipement is a huge load lifted. We can focus on the Count and not worry. Besides we were drinking beer AFTER the event.

Also, you guys know your birds.

My son has said a tentative yes! :D He's not the most experienced hiker on earth, but we'll make sure he stays with us and has appropriate gear. He certainly has the birding skills. :D

Hi Puck,
Please sign me up for this again. I won't be able to do a big mountian this winer. -Something down low will work though. I think some people did that last year. I'll PM you with the details.
Early Bird

Puck said:
Save the date.

The fourth annual Audubon Christams Bird Count hosted by the AMC is Dec 20th. Late enough for a better chance of winter weather and early enough to get in shape for the winter peak bagging season.

More info forthcoming.

Craig

Please sign me up. I prefer to be off by myself, doing whatever scut work you might have on the list. Seriously, I need no promise of feathered exotica to pique my interest. (Bio: Birder since LBJ, winter camper and tramper since Tricky, SAR dog handler from Reagan through W's first term in AK, WA, MN, and Northern New England.)

Sardog, Paradox thanks.

I will put you guys down. We can discuss routes later, some are already taken. It is helpfull if you give an indication of wqhere you would like to go, however, we can find places that need coverage.

We do have a sign out and in for safety reasons, plus we need to get everyone's list by the end of the day. Other then that there is a lot of flexibility.

Does anyone have an interest in owling?

The count includes everything seen and heard the day (24 hours) of the count, in our case Dec 20.

Many circles have people either going out very early before the sun is up or in the evening after the compliation dinner/reception/toasts.

The owls are not that active that time of year because they have not mated. I would think that we could go out for a short period of time in wooded areas close to the roads..

It would not entail playback recordings or anything sophisticated.