AMC Crawford Notch Christmas Bird Count 2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can we then go to Hooters?:D

Don't get me started on that place.... I thought it was a club for ornithologists. I asked the waitress "If the claw radius of the Northen Saw whet owl is the same as the Long Eared Owl is there much overlap of thier nesting territories in the Boreal Forest Habitat given the fact that they prey on the same species of rodents?" She says I don't know I worked with Neotropic Migrants. So, did you want the buffalo wings?

To think they should be more carefull with whom they hire.

What is actually involved in this? How much actual bird knowledge does one need? Cameras or other recording devices?

Are there areas that could possibly make a nice family snowshoeing trip?

Tim

What is actually involved in this? How much actual bird knowledge does one need? Cameras or other recording devices?

Are there areas that could possibly make a nice family snowshoeing trip?

Tim

Becasue the number of possible species is somewhat limited a working knowledge of your backyard birds and maybe the calls is really all that is needed. There is a possibility of others like crossbills and pine grosbeaks. You should be able to tell the difference between a Boreal and a Black capped chickadee. All of this could be learned on the fly in a few minutes.

REcording devices are not needed. Playback responses are used for owls. But we discourage thier use. We also frown upon pishing. Reason being; it is a very harsh evironment and if the birds are interupted from thier foraging thier welfare could be comprimised.

Cameras are highly encouraged. IN fact the Audubon Society want pictures from the count.

There are many options that can accomodate a family. We may have an AMC Naturalist of a local participant who can lead a family group. We have had family groups that went out on thier own. We have a strong possibility of one family covering Mt Willard. We could use coverage around Saco and Ammo lakes. Other good prospects could be the Bretton woods Xcountry ski area (fee involved which may be discounted) also a snowshoe trip into Arethusa Falls. We have had someone cover Cherry Mountain road, however, if there is snow there will be snowmachines, alot of snow machines.

We have access to the AMC's equipement for this event.

As always I want to remind people there is a $5 fee for participants over 18.

This is a list of our likely suspects and hopefulls

Mallard
Ruffed Grouse
Spruce Grouse
Wild Turkey
Mourning Dove
Northern Saw-whet Owl
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Black Backed Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Northern Shrike
Gray Jay
Blue Jay
American Crow
Common Raven
Black-capped Chickadee
Boreal Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Golden-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
Cedar Waxwing
Dark-eyed (Slate-colored) Junco
Snow Bunting
Northern Cardinal
Pine Grosbeak
Purple Finch
White-winged Crossbill
Common Redpoll
Pine Siskin
American Goldfinch
Evening Grosbeak

B
As always I want to remind people there is a $5 fee for participants over 18.

Which covers what? If I go and report but don't partake of any indoor post-trip activities do I still pay $5? Seems strange to ask for volunteers during the busiest time of year and then charge them $5 for helping out. :confused: $5 for indoor gathering and/or refreshments - that's a different story.

I can positively identify about 16 of those guys. I wouldn't object to discounted skiing at Bretton Woods either ;) However in my experience 12/20 is a bit early for a really decent (skating) base...

Tim

Which covers what? Tim

It covers Audubon's cost of data handeling. There is no way they can cover this project with the membership fees and cotributions alone. They do generate a compilation report that participants recieve. Last year's is in the mail as we speak. The reception is hosted by AMC but you pay for your own beer.

http://www.audubon.org/bird/cbc/compiler.html#FeePolicy

I usually go up a few days before the event to "scout" the area, the trails and mountains on snowshoe and xcrountry skis (yea thats what I call it..."scout"..it is work I tell ya). Then have a few beers after all so I can let people know where the birds are.

Last edited: