Amc Ftfc?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymond

Reaction score
My gut is telling me no... but my gut is also very
Has everyone who expected to hear from the Appalachian Mountain Club's Four Thousand-Footer Committee heard from them? Because I sent my Hundred Highest application and eight bucks to Eric Savage more than three months ago and still haven't heard, the check remains uncashed.

I sent him a private message about a month ago through this Web site, too, but failed to arouse him. I don't know if there's some way to learn if he opened the message or not, so possibly he just hasn't checked any of his mailboxes at all over the last month.

I should've sent it to Gene, I guess.

And how come I can't get AMC FTFC to stay capitalized as my subject heading?

I sent in my hundred highest application during the first week of September and heard back by mid-October.

Based on previous applications, it does seem to take longer the later in the fall you send it in... I assume because they are getting more applications at that time of year.

- Ivy

Good luck, I have also sent messages without getting replies. But, as you know, this is a great improvement over Gene! ;) I bet Gene would get a laugh out of the new and improved FTFC.

Maybe you should email try emailing Eric at his AMC FTFC email address, as shown on the FTFC website. He might not be checking out VFTT these days.

My recent experience has been outstanding with both my FTFC applications. The first application was February last year and I got everything back in two weeks. The second was last August. A week later, I got a VFTT PM from Eric, requesting a format change. I revised the peak list and emailed it to him and got everything back within a few days. He was totally responsive and a pleasure to deal with on both occasions.

Marty

poison ivy said:
I sent in my hundred highest application during the first week of September and heard back by mid-October.

I followed nearly the same timeline with my NE 67 application, and a similar one a few years ago for my NH 48. I imagine this a spare-time thing for one or two people who aren't making money off it, so I wouldn't be inclined to kvetch even if I'd had a longer wait. The ceremony isn't until April, after all.

never got "pamphlet" or map to trailless peaks

IIRC I never got the pamphlet or map to trailless peaks described on their website:

Q. Where can I find information on the trailless peaks on the Hundred Highest list?

A.A pamphlet describing routes to the trailless peaks on the New England Hundred Highest list is available from the Four Thousand Footer Committee for $3. A set of black-and-white USGS maps covering these peaks (printed from Maptech CDs) is an additional $2. At the moment, we are working on significant revisions to the pamphlet and will wait to send them until this is complete. You can request them from:

AMC Four Thousand Footer Committee
Attn: NE 100 Information
P.O. Box 444
Exeter, NH 03833-0444

HTML:
http://amc4000footer.org/faq.htm#info100

I sent a check, which was cashed after about 6 months, for the map and pamphlet. was told by Eric via email that i'd get a new forthcoming version. over the course of about 1 1/2 years i emailed about 4 times, and wrote by snail mail twice.

eventually I finished hiking the NE100 using info from VFTT and rbhayes.net so now the info and map are moot.

no big resentment here, just chiming in with my anectdotal experience on slowness. they're an all volunteer group and if i really felt passionate about the topic, i might... oh, i don't know... volunteer?!
:rolleyes:

Squintyken said:
IIRC I never got the pamphlet or map to trailless peaks described on their website

This actually one of my pet peeves about the FTFC. I sent away for that pamphlet in 2004 and I'm still waiting (and yes my check was cashed almost immediately.) I've already finished the 100 Highest without it. I don't actually care about the couple of bucks but it irritates me that in the intervening three years they have continued collecting money from people when there is clearly no intention of sending the information. I really wish they would just remove that paragraph from their web site.

- Ivy

poison ivy said:
I don't actually care about the couple of bucks but it irritates me that in the intervening three years they have continued collecting money from people when there is clearly no intention of sending the information.
- Ivy
Who ends up with the money? Is it the AMC, or is the FTFC a seperate entity?

One$tep

poison ivy said:
This actually one of my pet peeves about the FTFC.

- Ivy
Just a reminder folks ... we are all unpaid volunteers.

The pamphlet is being S L O W L Y redone, we have decided that the existing one is too out of date to send. To be honest I have no idea when it will be done.

The section on the pamphlet should be redone on the web site to reflect that, but I am not the webmaster and, once again, we are all volunteers.

Mohamed Ellozy said:

The pamphlet is being S L O W L Y redone, we have decided that the existing one is too out of date to send. To be honest I have no idea when it will be done.

The section on the pamphlet should be redone on the web site to reflect that, but I am not the webmaster and, once again, we are all volunteers.

Mohamed - you hit on a pet peeve of mine! I fully understand that the FTFC is run by volunteers and can appreciate delays due to "too much to do and not enough people to do it", but - I have offered twice to assist and have been turned down both times.

Please take this as a 3rd offer to assist - I can process forms, maintain the web page, etc...

Thanks

bobandgeri said:
I fully understand that the FTFC is run by volunteers and can appreciate delays due to "too much to do and not enough people to do it", but - I have offered twice to assist and have been turned down both times.
Please take this as a 3rd offer to assist - I can process forms, maintain the web page, etc...
i too offered many times and was turned down - when i heard priscilla was retiring from the northeast 111 and turning it over to the FTFC i volunteered to do the 111ers to keep it from becoming like the FTFC (when priscilla robertson did it you would receive your patch in less than 2 weeks) - the FTFC then gave it to gene - i then communicated with gene about it and got a favorable response - gene then told them that i should do the 111ers and then they took it away from gene and gave it to a reluctant mike - gene then told me that if he had known that they would do that he would have "farmed out" the work to me and he would have kinda been my boss (which i had no problem with) but it was too late then - - - looks like the FTFC thinks they are some kind of kings and want to keep it that way - - i was even told that i couldn't do it because i live in new york - i then gave them the figures and new york makes up much more of the roster than new englanders (just a few short of 1/2, the other 1/2 of the 111ers are from the rest of the world) - - - - and in the last 2 years there are now the same complaints about the northeast 111ers as there are about the FTFC!
if these "kings" don't have the time to do it right they should let someone else do it!!!
(in new york the catskill 3500 club and adirondack 46ers send the patch in less than 2 weeks)

[mod hat]
I know people are passionate about this topic. I'm just asking that people state their case with a civil tone. I'm not asking people to pull any punches, just use civil language and treat others with respect. This is more of a preliminary strike than a complaint about posts that have been made.

Please continue.
[/mod hat]

Mohamed Ellozy said:
I've said this before - volunteers can & should be fired if they don't do what they are supposed to, whether it's baking cookies or determining the summit of Owls Head. Time for a little more deadwood to resign?

-rs

Yeah, I'd just like to know if the thing has been received or not, so I'm not left hanging and wondering if I need to send another or not.

I know I had an invitation to the banquet from Gene by the beginning of the year (two years ago, for the 67/111), not a month into it.

Being a software person by profession, seems to me it wouldn't be too difficult to make the whole darn thing electronic. They already accept an Excel spreadsheet -- either upload that, or build an html/form to submit, complete with PayPal processing, or credit card (pass the fee along to the user) and then the process is greatly simplified, and one shouldn't wonder if it's been received. Acted upon is completely different.

Tim

Last edited:
bikehikeskifish said:
Being a software person by profession, seems to me it wouldn't be too difficult to make the whole darn thing electronic.
if it were automated, then they could send a certificate for you to print out at home and a full size hi-resolution picture of the patch for you to print on tee-shirt iron-on transfer paper - - - - and then they could give you a buck fifty for a slice of pizza and you wouldn't have to go to the FTFC pizza party in april...

RoySwkr said:
I've said this before - volunteers can & should be fired if they don't do what they are supposed to, whether it's baking cookies or determining the summit of Owls Head. Time for a little more deadwood to resign?
well - we could leave the trivial task of determining the true summit to the "kings" since no one really cares except them anyway - - but with people waiting for thier "rewards"... why are they making the easiest part of the experience the worst part???? it's crazy for them to keep the thing running the way it is with everyone out there waiting and complaining - especially when there are many others willing to do the job and "give a crap" about others.
but they just keep hiding behind the "volunteer" thing using it as an excuse - life must be very busy up there (yea right) - - - hell - i have 3 kids, a full time job, part time nypd, go away weekends and i would still have had time to get the patches out in a week if they had let me take care of the 111ers when priscilla retired...

Most people know my complaints, which are very similar to those stated above. However, I would like to praise Mike Dickerman for his efficiency, prompt returns of all my emails and timely processing of my 111/115 application.

Raymond said:
I sent my Hundred Highest application and eight bucks to Eric Savage more than three months ago and still haven't heard ...

I sent him a private message ... but failed to arouse him.

how come I can't get AMC FTFC to stay capitalized as my subject heading?
we feel your pain !

we'd be angry too, if we posted something on VFTT in ALL CAPS and the software changed it to lower-case ... you have every right to be Angry !

it's almost not worth hiking in the first place, if volunteers aren't waiting by their mailbox every day to mail your patch to you

those people should be on call 24/7 and carry a pager, to alert them when someone finishes a hiking list

maybe have one of those Batman-style beacons that flashes in the sky, only with a hiker logo

cantdog said:
Most people know my complaints, which are very similar to those stated above. However, I would like to praise Mike Dickerman for his efficiency, prompt returns of all my emails and timely processing of my 111/115 application.

I'll second this. Mike has responded to me within a week both times I corresponded with him. My 111 patch came much quicker than my NH48 or NE67 but even those only took about 6 weeks last summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.