American Hiker Missing in Mexico

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summitseeker

Reaction score
Geez, I feel like the bearer of more bad news, but I think a lot of people find these occurrences important, or at the very least interesting.

Here is the story:
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/01/american_hiker_missing_in_mexi.html

http://news.yahoo.com/american-missing-4-days-mexican-wilderness-160151097.html

I am sorry for the loss of this individual, but at the risk of sounding callous, he didn't sound very prepared for "an experienced hiker".
Kaur said her husband is an experienced hiker who was just getting into backcountry hiking

Having a little more knowledge of this unfortunate incident, I can say that the "experience" referenced is based on the perspective of his 25 year old wife. The original goal for this hike was a 2-3 hr hike with a planned return for lunch; not a hike where I would go out my 10 essentials. Besides, all the standard gear would not have protected him from the fall that killed him.

The real take away from this incident was the difficulty staging a solid SAR effort in a foreign country. The search did become effective; but it took a couple of days to become effective. Initial efforts were plagued by a lack of resources, primarily radios. The victims family and friends had to pay for fuel to keep the helicopters in the air. When travelling outside of the US, you need to be even more cautious & prepared as the SAR resources may be seriously lacking.

Last edited:
Having a little more knowledge of this unfortunate incident, I can say that the "experience" referenced is based on the perspective of his 25 year old wife. The original goal for this hike was a 2-3 hr hike with a planned return for lunch; not a hike where I would go out my 10 essentials. Besides, all the standard gear would not have protected him from the fall that killed him.

The real take away from this incident was the difficulty staging a solid SAR effort in a foreign country. The search did become effective; but it took a couple of days to become effective. Initial efforts were plagued by a lack of resources, primarily radios. The victims family and friends had to pay for fuel to keep the helicopters in the air. When travelling outside of the US, you need to be even more cautious & prepared as the SAR resources may be seriously lacking.

Hi Lost Dad,

You make some good points there. I probably wouldn't have had the "10 essentials" for this type of hike either, but I am curious if UV protection, a windbreaker, more water, and food may have helped.

The part of the article where he texted that he had accidentally summited another peak had me scratching my head and I still wonder how seasoned of a hiker this individual was. Either way it is a sad outcome and I too am curious how well of a coordinated effort the Mexican authorities were able to muster.

I feel very fortunate to hike in the White Mountains where our SAR teams are of such an excellent caliber. Thank you to all SAR members and volunteers. Your work and efforts are invaluable!

Be well,

Z :D

Last edited: