Ammo-Jewell Loop

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody

Reaction score
I had too much work to do around the house this past weekend so I didn't get to head up to Barnes to camp and hike. The weather report for Sunday looked a bit iffy anyway so I really didn't mind hanging around the house and getting the pool opened, but I still had the feeling that I had to get above treeline!

I checked my work calendar for Monday and decided that I could take a vacation day and head up for a hike up the Rock Pile. I figured I would keep my drive as short as possible and stay on the west side of the mountain so I decided to hike the Ammonoosuc Ravine - Jewell Trail loop.

I checked the weather report on the observatory web page and saw that it would be another cold early June hike with a "wintery mix" for Sunday night. I packed my pack like it was November and headed up north leaving the house at 4:50 am. When I got to Fabian's I could see that the top of the peaks was coated in white. I was hoping the ice wasn't too bad. I figured it was June and left the traction at home. Turned out the traction wasn't needed. There was a little bit of ice on the trail but it was easily avoided. Mostly a bit of rime ice coating things to make it interesting. The wind was about 25 mph when I stopped at the lakes of the clouds hut, which was not open yet but the croo was setting things up for Wednesdays opening. Temp at the summit was about 30 degrees F with 40 mph winds. I put my shell jacket on with my warm hat and did just fine.

Here's some pictures of the days hike.

Great pictures Woody!!

Looks like you had a nice day to summit! We missed you at Barnes but glad you managed to get out!:D

Your pictures answered our question on if Lakes of the Clouds was still covered in snow or not..we had a discussion on our hike....(among other topics):eek:

Nice shots Woody, jeez I have to get up to the whites again this year maybe...

Jay

nice woody! two weekends away from the mountains are killin' me! :p