Amon. Ravine camping

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markv

Reaction score
Hi. I read once somewhere a reference to dispersed camping (x ft. from the trail and from water) in the area of the Amon. Ravine and Jewell trails. Does anyone know if this is truly legal? What part? Where is best? And if not, is there a place nearby to camp from one's car as a (distant) 2nd choice? Thanks!

Here's a couple resources:

Check if your desired camping location is within the Presidential/Dry River Wilderness area. If so, camping is prohibited within 200' of any trail or body of water. The AMC's WMG spells it out pretty clearly as well.

This link has some good Leave No Trace guidelines as well as a section on specific rules on backcountry camping regulations. http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/recreation/camping/backcountry_rules_2006-07.pdf

I don't know much about car camping options in the area - I have stayed in Crawford's Campground before and it was nice, but other members will have better ideas for you. Have fun.

There's a very nice campsite well up the Jewell Trail. Seems too close to the trail to be legal, but I've seen tents there.

mtnpa said:
There's a very nice campsite well up the Jewell Trail. Seems too close to the trail to be legal, but I've seen tents there.
According to the PDF as I read it, camping is forbidden near AR but not Jewell. I would say that terrain is also more favorable near Jewell. I think I know the campsite you mean, it is just below the Alpine Zone and probably used by AT hikers, not the sort of place that appears in gear ads but well-located for thru-hikers.