An impossible quest?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weatherman

Reaction score
South Metro Denver Avatar: Basin Ponds Bullwinkl
Hey all- I need some advice that might require some scouring of imaginations. I go with a bunch of people almost every September to Baxter SP, where we rent the Chimney Pond bunkhouse and a couple leantos for a few nights and have fun hiking and climbing and carrying on. Several in the group complain about the long drive from Central MA, however. There were enough complainers this year (NOT ME!) that I promised I would try to find closer options. However, I fear the answer may be an empty set.
Requirements:
1. Walk-in or backpack, not car camping
2. Within 3 hours of Worcester- so Whites, contiguous Maine (Mahoosucs or Evans Notch type places), southern Greens.
3. 4 walls, preferably with woodstove. Sleeps 8 or more. If leanto or tent space outside for extras or those with sensitive ears, even better.
4. Prime hiking from the door.

Ideas? Thanks!

-Weatherman

There really terrible places and you would never want to go there ;) , but the RMC Camps, Grey Knob and Crag Camp fit the bill - Grey Knob is heated...one mile from Adams 4 - a little more from Adams, Madison and Jefferson...also, the price is more than right!

Jim Liberty cabin is first come first served last I knew. Nice place but limited hiking alternatives once Chocorua is summitted. I've visited Black Mountain and Doublehead cabins and both are very nice but, again, limited hiking options ... and you need to carry in water and firewood.

A trip which includes Zealand Hut and Guyot Shelter may fill your bill. I believe Keene Valley (Adirondacks) may be in your radius and Johns Brook Lodge may still be open after Labor Day on a caretaker basis, if not, there are a couple cabins nearby, and that is central to several good trails.

Bummer the drive is an objection. I find the further I go the greater sense of wilderness and solitude.

One issue your official requirements don't address is whether the space must be reservable - RMC and Jim Liberty are fcfs as are several Long Trail lodges

If any of your people have Harvard or Dartmouth connections, those outing clubs rent cabins some of which may be available to the public

If they would accept a yurt with floor, heat, etc. but only one circular wall, there are some available in NH & ME

You don't need a Dartmouth connection to rent any of the cabins outside of the Second College Grant, many of which would fit your needs. The problem is that you can only rent them 3 weeks in advance, which puts a damper on long term planning.

Wheeler Pond Camps

Hey Weatherman,

The GMC operates two rustic cabins in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, Wheeler Pond Camps.

This wouldn't qualify as a walk-in -- you can drive right up to the cabins, but on a very quiet, lightly traveled dirt road. True, they are located in the wilds of Northern Vermont, but they are only a few miles off I-91, near Barton.

From the camps, you can hike Moose Mtn., Mt. Hor, and Wheeler Mtn. Within a short drive are Mts. Pisgah, Hedgehog, and Bald. All are really nice hikes.

Stinkyfeet

www.runsuerun.blogspot.com

Thanks to all! I'm sure there's a happy medium in there somewhere. Now I have to convince the others that the reason they are not traveling as far is to hike longer, not to get back to W*RK sooner! (yes, my buddies are perhaps a bit too compulsive)

Weatherman

David Metsky said:
You don't need a Dartmouth connection to rent any of the cabins outside of the Second College Grant, many of which would fit your needs. The problem is that you can only rent them 3 weeks in advance, which puts a damper on long term planning.

Dave, can you elaborate on that? I'm familiar with Second College Grant, but where are the cabins that are outside of it?

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~doc/cabins/descriptions/#doccabins

The ones best suited for hikers are Billings (just across the Rt 2 from Appalachia), John Rand (above the Ravine Lodge on Moosilauke), Great Bear (on the Glencliff side of Moosilauke), and Agassiz/Ritchie Smith (off Rt 112). But they work best as last minute ideas, as they rent out quickly on the weekends. Dartmouth students and official outing club trips have first dibs.

I've stayed at them all (and help build a few) and they can be nice for a hiking trip, but it's hard to plan ahead for them.

-dave-

There's also the AMC High Cabin on Mt. Cardigan:

per the AMC website:
~12 bunks/mattresses in main room (maximum capacity).
~Dry sink, two-burner propane, stove, propane, waste water, pails, composting toilet, broom and dust pan.
~Seasonal woodstove Nov.1-May 31 (15 pieces of firewood provided per night). Additional wood available for purchase at Cardigan Lodge.

PM me if you want more info.

- Greg