An "Old Friend" is in critical condition

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REK

Reaction score
I awoke this morning to the sounds of my wife scolding HER dog "Louis, you are so in trouble!"
It appears that the canine in question chewed two rather substantial holes in my down sleeping bag.
Now this is not just any down bag. This is the bag that is older than some of my fellow Scout leaders. This is the one that I waited all night on the sidewalk on Comm. Ave. in 1971 to be first in line for the legendary EMS Sale. This is the bag that I worked all summer on a fishing boat to make the $100 to buy it with. This is the bag that when I tried the various sizes I found that what I really needed was the extra large and not the regular but only had enough for the regular $98 vs $115. I decided that a small bag was better than none and began to put the bags back in their stuff sacks. The very cool hiippy type sales guy in the Icelandic sweater and hat said he take care of that for me while I picked up the rest of my purchases. This is the bag that when it came out of the stuff sack that next weekend at the Resolution Shelter had magically "turned into" the extra large bag.

I will always remember him. A serious lesson in Karma at age 15.

Well, I'm going to try to repair it for mostly sentimental reasons. It started as a 10 F bag and is now probably a 60 F. It is old enough to be in the ICU of the gear hospital in the "Gerry" -atric (get it?) ward. In deference to the dog lovers on the board I'll spare the kimchee jokes!

Hey! This means that I get to buy a NEW ONE!
Bob

Attachments to old equipment can be profound. I still have my old Optimus 8R stove, which I use only the backyard now. It's heavy but indestructible.

Occasionally, I still wear my old pair of Pivetta Five hiking boots -- which, come to think of it, I bought in 1971 at age 16, so just about the same time you bought your bag. I've got a puppy in the house too, so I put the beloved old boots up high out of harm's way.

I wear them mostly for gardening now and the occasional light hike. They're on their third set of soles and have probably got 5,000 miles, perhaps even more, on the leather. They've never, ever let me down. The stove has needed a few repairs over the years, but it's still reliable and I'd be happy to carry it back up into the mountains if there weren't so many great light-weight alternatives available.

There should be some bag-repair places you can consult. I'll bet EMS knows of some.

Tent self stick repair tape works great. You can buy it in larger sheets at Campmor in a variety of colors to give you bag that hippie patchwork look. BTW if you have the loose feathers, stuff em back in. I find wet feathers are easier to work with when restuffing.

how about a pic of the patient?

Thanks, that's good advice. I think that I'll try some of that tape. The holes aren't as bad as they first looked. I've got an old down coat that my work partner parked his Harley on (don't ask me why, sometimes not knowing is better!?!) We'll do a down transplant.
Bob

If the other solutions don't work, head for the nearest sailmaker. You should be able to find ripstop nylon tape that should work fine and last a long time.