Annual Redlining Contest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Dasypodidae

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
In follow up to my redlining contests the past two years (Carter Dome via Black Angel Trail in 2007 and Moriah via Moriah Brook Trail in 2008), this year's contest comes in two parts.

Part 1: Name the trail or segment (between 3 and 5 miles distance) that I hiked this past week for the first time to reach two NH4s for the 16th time.

Part 2: Name the trail (between 3 and 5 miles distance) that I hiked for the first time this past week to reach one NH4 for the 17th time.

If I provided exact mileages, this contest would be too easy.

Please post replies, regardless of what others post, and I will review after 48 hours and post contest winner(s).

Hints

In follow up to my redlining contests the past two years (Carter Dome via Black Angel Trail in 2007 and Moriah via Moriah Brook Trail in 2008), this year's contest comes in two parts.

Part 1: Name the trail or segment (between 3 and 5 miles distance) that I hiked this past week for the first time to reach two NH4s for the 16th time.

Part 2: Name the trail (between 3 and 5 miles distance) that I hiked for the first time this past week to reach one NH4 for the 17th time.

If I provided exact mileages, this contest would be too easy.

Please post replies, regardless of what others post, and I will review after 48 hours and post contest winner(s).

Ok, given that there are no entries so far, here are some hints:

The trail for part 1 is about 3.1 miles; the trail for part 2 is about 4.9 miles.

Ok, given that there are no entries so far, here are some hints:

The trail for part 1 is about 3.1 miles; the trail for part 2 is about 4.9 miles.

Someone's gotta start although I'm probably wrong:

Part 1: Wildcat Ridge Trail for Wildcats D and A

Part 2: Garfield Trail to Garfield

Part 1: How about Cascade Brook trail to North & South Kinsmans?

Part 2: How about Sabbaday Brook trail to either North or Middle Tripyramid? You only did one of them since you don't need both of them for any list unless you're working on a second round of the grid?

Ok, times up.

J&J came somewhat close on the Tri's, which I hiked via the Kanc end of Livermore Trail (3.1 mi) for the first time (along with Scaur, Pine Bend Brook, and Sabbaday Trails).

For part 1, I hiked Jefferson with an AMC group via the Castle Trail, which was a first for me; really cool trail with rock scambling around the castles.

So, probably under about 700 miles of White Mountain trail redlining to go.

I make no apologies for hiking trails (in reply to Albee). I do not mind bushwhacking in small doses, especially if there are views to be had as an award. But, I think that using GPS to bag the NE451 (or the NE770) is overrated, especially given that they have been done by others without modern technology. In way of disclosure, I will admit that I bagged a couple of NHHH summits this past winter with partners whom I respect that were using GPS. So, maybe I will go back to those summits without GPS next winter if time allows.

I make no apologies for hiking trails (in reply to Albee). I do not mind bushwhacking in small doses, especially if there are views to be had as an award. But, I think that using GPS to bag the NE451 (or the NE770) is overrated, especially given that they have been done by others without modern technology.
Albee doesn't own a GPS, Dr D and I think he'd agree on the doing it that way is overrated. I know I do. I don't use an altimeter or GPS myself.

I like the idea of redlining, and I happen to have done some long runs with a guy who has knocked out about 98% of 3 of the ADK National Geographic maps. That is a ton of mileage if you think about the size of the ADK park.

I like redlining

I've been red-lining using an Old Delorme map which doesn't include all the trails in the AMC book around the fringes of the White Mountains. I am always looking for people who want to go on the rarely used trails, but I am a relatively slow hiker. I have 18 challenging hikes left to do. Maybe some red-liner would like to join me in my pursuit, but at a slower pace.